Author Topic: Deer getting in the way on the road!?!?!?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Deer getting in the way on the road!?!?!?
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
My wife and I recently moved.  For us to go anywhere we have to drive through a stretch of road we call deer ally that is a half mile from our house.  Well last night I had to hit my breaks, honk the horn, and flash my lights to avoid hitting a your dumb 6pt and to motivate him to get across the road.  This part of the road is pretty hazardous and I think it’s a very serious safety concern.

I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t get a deer last season or because I am tired of being nervous to drive through this particular part of the road.  In any event I started to think I should have just hit the stupid thing.  I’ve got a full size Chevy Truck and I’m thinking if I see him again I’ll go slow down enough to where it won’t do too much damage to my truck, around 20 mph or so and let him have it.  I’m just sick of dodging these deer in the exact same spot.  Sounds kind of dumb to hit a deer on purpose, but I don’t know what else to do other than hang a shotgun out of the window. 

My neighbors and I are just so tired of dodging deer.  Is there some scent I could put down there every once in a while to keep the deer away?  Something… Anything…?

I’m open to any ideas, but I’m just about to the point where I’m ready to drill one with my truck and I’d rather not have a deductible to pay.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: Deer getting in the way on the road!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
all of our sheriff's deputies tried deer alert whistles on their patrol cars with good success several yrs ago. it emits a hi frequency noise and when I put it on my wife's car the deer along the side of the roadway hear if from a distance and pick up their heads looking straight at us. that may help. Kmart and other places carry it. good luck.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
I filled my tag a few years ago then had a buck jump the center divider on the freeway in front of my Chevy.  Repair cost was over $1600.  The deer was airborne for some distance.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
This seems unbelievable, but I'm driving around after work taking care of some odds and ends.  My wife calls me and says that she just saw somebody hit a doe in the exact spot I was talking about.  She said there were like 6 of them.  Of course they were not around while I was freezing my rear off during hunting season, but I see them all the time in my truck.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:10:40 AM »
Just this morning, saw the road crew pulling a buck of the road on my way to work.  We haven't had too many problems with them on the roads where I live but you still see them every so often.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
After 25 years with the Dept. of Trans. in Missouri I wish I had a dollar for every deer I've took off the hiway. I would be able to buy several more guns to help cure the problem.  I also see more while driving than I do when hunting. I just thought it was a reflection of my hunting skills or the lack thereof.

The boss had us put up signs but I don't think the deer could read 'em, anyway it didn't seem to help. I don't think anyone has come up with a good answer yet.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:00:54 AM »
The Va. state police tested the deer whistles and other devices and found they didn't really work .
a brush guard would protect your vehicle in the event you hit one ! by accident of course !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »
 ;D XD 9 would that buck look good on your wall HA HA HA
Eph2:8-9

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
 ;D If they hadn't been pulling it off the road and I hadn't been in work clothes, I might have stopped and sawed off the rack!
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:29:37 AM »
Drove old truck around Wild and Wonderful West Virginia for almost 5 years. No problems. Bought new truck and with less than 2500 miles a deer hit me in left front quarter. Not me hit him. A brush guard (aka goat knocker) wouldn't have done any good.  >:(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:44 AM »
BRUSH GUARD - best when truck is aimed at deer !
sorry about your truck !

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
I'll second the brush guard idea.  It's what we use during summertime when the freezer gets empty and we have a taste for some fresh venison.

What, you've never ate road kill?   ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 04:34:57 AM »
best way we know to feed deer hounds  !

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:27 AM »
I gotta say, I would rather be dodging deer than teenagers in town.  I am sure it is nerve racking at times, but honestly, that is just part of living in the country. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »
they frown on feeding teenagers to the deer dogs  too !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »
Any deer dogs I've ever seen would have better taste than to eat any of the young'un I've seen slouching around town holding their pants up with one hand and pullin' at their xxx with the other.
 ::)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
You guys are missing the point.  You need to park and shoot out of your truck next season.  Since the deer apparently are "tuned in" to stand there like Prairie Dogs at the sight of the truck, just park it in your favorite spot and shoot out of the window.  Nice, cozy, steady rest.  Music to listen to in the mean time, no skeeters, no bugs, hot coffee if you brought some, heated when the sun comes up, not a human scent producer.  Probably will be good results until you kill all of the dumb deer.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 06:01:46 AM »
For once, Wild and Wonderful is ahead of the learning curve. There are so many junque cars "up the hollers" and pushed out along the fields that deer pretty much ignore them. So the locals use them as deer blinds. I routinely go out in the morning and find deer tracks around my truck. 
Also, the deer have been shot at so much at night that if you throw a light on one, they find another gear leaving out. Evolution in action, I guess. :)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 01:17:05 AM »
YA'LL still using lights ?
get a night scope !

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »
  I surely don`t have the answer and I`ve also had a few near misses over the years  but here`s a thought.
     Play a recording of the final score of the Giants/Pats game.  The whaling coming from the Pats fans should do
     nicely.   :)    All that crying,yelling, etc will get their (deer) attention........freeze them in their tracks till         
     you get safely by.   Just a thought.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I've lived in deer country all my life. I have had one deer run into the door of my truck one night.
Living in the country is supposed to be for not having to be in a rush like city people alway are. Slow down and enjoy the nature around ya.

Brush guards? You mean those cheap shiny tinker toy things city people have onj their trucks and suvs? If you really want some thing on the front of your truck to protect it from a deer hit try a snow plow. I garentee ya those shinny things on the front of city peoples trucks will only piss a deer off.

;D Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com