Author Topic: WANTED,,,,One barrel that won't shoot!  (Read 3161 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: WANTED,,,,One barrel that won't shoot!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
Wow, the barrels really look great Larry, I am ready to "fire for effect" and to compare the before and after results. What do think the effect on accuracy was (if any) of the the concave breech face? Quote - "the breach was slightly concaved which I have never seen before."
How was the .243 barrel for squareness of the breechface and how was the the muzzle crown before your work on it? That was the real problematic barrel for repeatable accuracy. I am more of a hunter than a target shooter but do enjoy the range (and a most likely undeserved reputation as a good shot). I am interested in first shot accuracy from a cold but fouled barrel with the possibility of a second accurate shot if needed. There are no prarie dog towns around here (I wish there were) so I do not have the need for many accurate shots from a warm or hot barrel. I usually shoot 3 shot groups for accuracy but have shot 5 shot groups for fun. I usually take 2, 3, 4, or more guns to the range when I go to allow for cooling between shots and/or groups. The next time they go to the range it will be very interesting....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
I really don't know if this will help or not, you can tell us if it did.  I will send these first thing monday morning express mail, yoiu will have them by next weekend.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks Larry, I will shoot them and report as soon as possible...PM coming at you....<><....:)

P.S. - make that 2 PM's...........
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Lead Poison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
I'm following this project like a beagle after a rabbit...and I don't even own a Handi Rifle! ;D

You guys keep us posted and thank you for sharing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
I am looking forward to a range report big time!!!!!!!!!! Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
Larry, I believe Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation will be cheaper than Express Mail and it only took about 3 days to get them to you that way. The cost was $18.95 total for Priority Mail and I would not be able to shoot them until Friday at the earliest anyway, no use spending extra for Express Mail. Perhaps Quick will know the difference. What do you say Tim, what is the difference between Priority and Express mail?....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
A lot!! 10lbs priority mail west coast to east coast is $25.05, express is $45.25!! :-\
Parcel post is $16.17.

Tim

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »
Whoa Kemosabee!!!! Please send it Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, NOT Express Mail...Thanks, a lot (about $20 bucks worth!!!)....<><....:D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
Priority mail, I am old and get those mixed up, it is about $18.00.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »
Got them in the mail this morning, I would say they should arrive on Thursday.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
Larry you are the unbelievable!!! I will try my best to shoot them again this weekend and report any difference the work made on the accuracy of the barrels. That is if mother nature cooperates. It's been a little cold the last couple of days, about 10 this morning, but at least it was +10 and not -10. It was the wind that was the killer..quite "breezy". I had to drive about 25 miles to testify at a local courthouse in a case, I tried to take a drink of water from the water bottle I had left in the car but it was solid ice, of course.  While I was walking through the parking lot towards the courthouse a guy leaving the court wearing a woolen watch cap looked at my close cropped head and said, "you really need a hat", I told him "what I really need is hair", we each got a chuckle out of that, but my head, and the tips of my ears, were a bit cold. Since it was a Monday morning the District court was full of the regular weekend rabble rousers in addition to the scheduled trials and hearings so there were not many parking places, I found the last regular parking spot WAAAY out back so I was quite cold by the time I got to the front door...
I will let you know when the barrels get here, and thanks. I really hope you have discovered another step in the accurizing of Handis!!! Next it's turning lead into gold!!!....<><....:)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Don't know if this will do any good or not, guess if we knew what would happen we could not call it a test.  I will PM you the deliverry confirmation number.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »
got it already...Thanks, PM incoming....<><....:)

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
This is cool!!  I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Offline papitt

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 05:22:45 PM »
I want to respond to this so it will be easier to find when I get back in a few days .....I'm watching this since I'VE blown 2 off the block's 223 ....When we put mine back on this was a place we had trouble .......Now I'm a rookie compaired to what i've been reading ...This is one of those places I know just enough to be dangerous!!...
Getting Old Sucks.........

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
I think we are all rookies on this one.  It only got started because during the barrel stubbing projects I have done I noticed that none of the barrels I was working with had breaches that were at exact right angles to the bore.  Every one was off by a couple of thousanths.  The last barrel I squared up was the .280 barrel, it's breach was off from side to side plus it was slightly concaved.  NEF seems to cut them to size by running a milling machine across the breach which doesn't lend it's self to squareness related to the bore.  I would also say that they seem to taper the barrels using some kind of belt sander or grinder, both the shotgun barrels and rifle barrels do not always have the bore in the middle of the barrel.  I will post some pictures of a cut off shotgun barrel the you can see the different wall thicknesses with your eye,l and the .280 barrel was off by .040 inch and was sort of triangle shaped.  Larry

Offline AZHoosier

• An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
Is Larry good or what?????????Macro photograpy, machinist, Handi-man. To be so talented!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
Larry,

It looks like some of the barrels I have seen have been cut to length with a chop saw at the breech end. :D All rough, some rougher than others. It would be nice if they were turned true from the get-go.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »

MSP ret. I hope weather gives you a brake so you can shoot
 after work before July, I would hear report soon. Hope it works.
 Marv.

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
waiting eagerly for the findings ...
His,
><>

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Thinks guys, there is a storm moving in tonight but I am chomping at the bit to get out and shoot these barrels again when they get here. Hopefully I can do it this weekend....<><....:)

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:27 PM »
Thinks guys, there is a storm moving in tonight but I am chomping at the bit to get out and shoot these barrels again when they get here. Hopefully I can do it this weekend....<><....:)

Snow to rain tonight-tomorrow... over the weekend supposed to get D***ED Cold!! :-\

Steve
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
Yup, I guess the groundhog really did see his shadow....<><....:)

Offline papitt

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »
    You seem to be more on how square the breach is ......What were the crowns  to begin with ..........When mine blew off We staighten the chamber  to the bore and put a new crown on it ....I really though that the crown did more than the chamber .....
Getting Old Sucks.........

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
Both barrels had the muzzel off center some, the .280 was real bad, the .243 was off a few thousanths.  Before and after pictures.  I did focus more on the breach, everyone cleans up the muzzel, I ahve never seen someone square up the breach.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »
Well guys the barrels got here today, and they are great. Larry is a true craftsman. I tried them on the receiver and they fit fine so I will now remount the scope rails, pull a couple of patches through the bores and get ready to try to get to the range this weekend. I have the same ammo of the same lot # left to try for groups at 50 and 100 yards again. Thanks Larry...I will post about the results when I get them....<><....:)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
Great work Larry! I can't wait to see MSP's range report with them.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
Greatttttttttttt. I am also looking forward to a report. Larry I have followed this thread from the beginning and I have to say you have some real talent. Good for you and I am looking forward to more of your projects. What became of the 14 Cal rimfire and the video through the scope thing. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
The .14 cal barrel is waiting on the 5mm Mag RF ammo so I can finish the dies and chamber the barrel, I have the bullets.  This weekend I may go eleminate a Coyote or two on a friends farm, if I do go I will try out the video then.  I have to go back to sea for a month Monday after this, so no more projects til I get back, I have to try to finish up a 32 H&R Mag barrel before I go.  Larry

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
Very cool. Thank you Dale