Author Topic: WANTED,,,,One barrel that won't shoot!  (Read 3162 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: WANTED,,,,One barrel that won't shoot!
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
I am just finishing up another 32 H&R Mag barrel, this one also shows the non-square breach after I took a cleanup cut across it.  Every one I have done is like this.  Hope the Weather was good for the range today, I am looking forward to the target pictures.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline papitt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
I'm going to respond guy so I can get back on ..This seems to help I tryed  the last 3 night an couldn't get on it tells to longin ...I do then it says you can't use the search until you've loggen in ..here we go in this circle again ...I even re-regestered as a new name same thing .....I'm on at the moment .....
Getting Old Sucks.........

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »
OK Larry and guys here are the before and after results, I will shoot them again the be sure.

before results, .280 Remington with the 18.5" barrel, aka "Thunderboomer", shooting Remington 140 grain Pointed Soft Points...3 shot groups
                                                    50 yards                                  100 yards
                                                       .87                                         1.25

after results, same ammo:                .80                                          1.25

before results, .243 Winchester with a 20" Superlight barrel, shooting Winchester 100 grain PowerPoints....3 shot groups
                                                     50 yards                                  100 yards
                                                        .75                                          6.5

after results, same ammo:                  .75                                          4.125

I do not know if these meager results can show any gain in accuracy but none was lost that's for sure. I will continue to work on the .243 and try some lighter weight bullets. Thanks for all your fine work Larry. The .243 after all is a  Superlight barrel and we all know the .243 is most likely the most problematic caliber in a Handi, and of those the Superlight barrel is the worst for accuracy. It seems to shoot at least the first 2 fairly close and the third or those after are difficult to call. Since I am a hunter I will work on getting the first shot where I aim it and hopefully the next within an inch or so, after that all bets are off, for now at least, perhaps a different load or a lighter bullet will work better. My camera died and the one I bought my wife for Christmas did not come with a hookup to the computer. I will save these targets and try to get pictures from work and send them to someone who can post them for me...<><....:)   

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
Andy sorry to hear the results really. I did expect better. Did I hear you right when you say the 243 will only shoot 4 plus inch groups? Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
Well Dale, that is why it is called a test, if we knew what it would do then it wouldn't be a test.  I am glad it showed a little gain, 4 inches from 6 inches is good I would say, that is a 30% gain by doing two things.  I would say there are just many many little things that can be done to get these things shooing.  Guess it is really just like all the rest of the rifles out there, there is no single magic fix to make them shoot.  The 280 shot good to start with, so the fix on that one was mainly cosmetic.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »
Well Dale, that is why it is called a test, if we knew what it would do then it wouldn't be a test.  I am glad it showed a little gain, 4 inches from 6 inches is good I would say, that is a 30% gain by doing two things.  I would say there are just many many little things that can be done to get these things shooing.  Guess it is really just like all the rest of the rifles out there, there is no single magic fix to make them shoot.  The 280 shot good to start with, so the fix on that one was mainly cosmetic.  Larry

Larry please don't get me wrong. I guess I just had my hopes up a little bit. I know you put a lot of hard work into it and you really have a talent. I guess I am probably a little disappointed like the rest of us. I was just really hopping you finally figured the Handi out. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
If squareing up the breach was the magic bullet to make an H&R shoot then H&R would have done it a long time ago.  I think what this shows is that it is only a piece piece of the puzzel, the "O" rings, how you rest the rifle and all the other little tricks others have discovered all add to the accuracy of these little rifles.  They are a lot of fun to play with, I may say bad things about them from time to time, but I have a few and am working on wildcats on a couple, they lend themselves to expermentation, probably why so many people like them, just like me.  Lary