Author Topic: Rifled chokes  (Read 558 times)

Offline Kojak

• Trade Count: (0)
Rifled chokes
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:57:58 PM »
Hey fellas, new to these forums and definetely loving the info and insight. The monthly trip to kittery trading post last week resulted in me trading my 20 year old pardner towards a brand new tdc. What a fine looking gun! Next trip will give me a turkey choke but what do y'all know about rifled choke tubes? Do they make them for our win-style system? If so, how well do they work with, say, buckhammers or sabot slugs?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Rifled chokes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »
They make them but I don't know if they work or why you would not just use some inexpensive Remington Sluggers, or such, or even some Brennekes or Dixies? The good part about a smoothbore slug gun is the low cost of the slugs, and out to about 50, 60. or perhaps even 70 yards the deer will never know you saved all that money on slugs....<><....:)

P.S. How much did KTP give you for your old pardner towards the new TDC? I have always wondered what they gave for guns...Thanks, and congratulations on a fine new gun!!!
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Kojak

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:06:34 AM »
They gave me $60 credit for it. 90% condition is what they rated it at.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:53 AM »
I have a Carlson Rifled choke tube on my NEF 12ga turkey barrel.  It works well with the Remington BuckHammers.  But in my situation the lack of sights was the limiting factor.  At 50yds it doesn't make a lot of difference between the BuckHammer and the Slugger, both yield dead deer.  I bought the BuckHammers when they were offering the $5.00 a box rebate.  If you improve your sights and are shooting out at 100 yards, I think you'll notice the difference in accuracy between the BuckHammers and the Sluggers.  Here is a link to Carlson Choke Tubes, it list all of the choke tubes that are offered for the NEF/H&R screw in choke system.

http://www.choketube.com/wbmw.html

"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Kojak

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »
Thanks d_hiker $35 seems reasonable. I added a set of hi vis 3 point fiber optic sights that clamp/screw on the rib. The rear sight seems to sit too high due to the design of the rib. I may take it back and get some true glo clamp ons.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
Thanks for the KTP info Kojak and best of luck with the new TDC....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley