Author Topic: Problem with Bushnell Trophy power change ring  (Read 951 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Problem with Bushnell Trophy power change ring
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »
I bought this scope used, hardly a mark on it seemed well taken care of. Problem is that the power change ring on this 3-9x40 scope acts like it is very stiff when adjusted, like you have to use more force than normally to move the ring. There is a slotted screw just above the #3 and a phillips screw about 1.5 inches past that on the ring.

Is there an adjustment with one of these screws to loosen the tightness of that ring, which one is it?

Thanks.
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Problem with Bushnell Trophy power change ring
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
Power rings will loosen up with use, being tight when new is pretty much normal, but if it's too tight to turn, perhaps you should contact Bushnell and see what they'll do for ya. Being a bit tight would be better than too loose and not sealing well, allowiing the nitrogen purge to be compromised, IMO.

Tim

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/contact.cfm

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/us_repair.cfm?section=Hunting
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:05:18 PM »
Tim its not that it can't be turned, it is just harder to turn than other scopes I have. Maybe its just not been used much...can't say since I am the second owner. But other than minimal ring marks it looks new.
Paperwork that came with it does not indicate if either of those screws is an adjustment of some kind, although I would guess the one over the #3 is to lock the ring in place at a set number of magnification.
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
Anyone else have problems with these power rings being too tight? Is there an adjustment screw?

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:10:28 AM »
The trophy seems to have this but it will loosen up in time.  Mine was tight for the first three years I owned it.  The funny thing is that is would loosen up tremendously when left in a hot pickup during the SC summers when temps inside the truck would be over 100.  The scope still is rock solid so just shoot with it and enjoy.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »
Got to the range today to try out this scope on my NEF 243 WIN. I think it is going to work out well and that power ring will loosen up a bit as I use it more. The glass seems clear and that 3-9 variable will come in handy.

It was very windy conditions, so at close yardage 25-30 yds. using 3x the holes were almost touching! But at 100 yds using 9x they were all over the place, this using 100gr. Federal Powershoks. It was as if for 1/4 in. clicks it was over compensating or something: if I needed to move POI 3 in. up and adjusted the proper number of clicks upwards it shot way high. I will need to do some more shooting to really get this set up right.

Joe

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
My Bushnell 3200 has a loose power ring and it is losing nitrogen. Its going back and hopefully getting replaced.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick