Author Topic: 20 ga. "Survivor", not really but almost, maybe better?  (Read 712 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
20 ga. "Survivor", not really but almost, maybe better?
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
I received the 19.5" "lightly rusted" 20 gauge barrel with the screw in choke tube from Hofs01. The first thing I did was try it on a color case hardened "HUNTSMAN" marked frame I have that is in great shape with fine coloring. That frame was fitted with a 26" modified choke 20 gauge barrel and a Tamer Stock with an insert for .410 shells that I have modified to accept 45-70 shells from another project gun, the insert still holds .410 shells as well. The barrel was perfect fit!!! It is now the barrel for that frame. I may however someday change it to a true "Survivor" stock.
I then checked the choke tube, the barrel I got from Brian was marked Modified, but has been shortened and a choke tube system added. When I removed the choke tube I found it was a full choke tube. I had no idea what choke tube system it was when I bought the barrel but things have worked out great!! I did have a single 20 gauge Winchoke system tube to try, it was a modified tube. It fit great and now I know it is a Winchoke system. I then went to work with gun oil and 4/0 steel wool on the outside of the barrel, the inside was fine. After just a little while, 15-20 minutes or so at the most, and some elbow grease, the barrel looks fine. Now all I need to do is to find or locate some inexpensive 20 gauge Winchoke tubes to keep in the "Storearm forearm", and later perhaps locate a 20 gauge insert for the Tamer buttstock, or change to a true "Survivor" buttstock and either way I will have a real handy gun, although I think I may prefer the Survivor buttstock. The most important items for now are some 20 gauge choke tubes. Thanks again Brian, this barrel has worked out great for me....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: 20 ga. "Survivor", not really but almost, maybe better?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:47:59 PM »
Ain't it great when a plan comes together. ;D  Sounds like you will have a good shooter for walking around or maybe for the hunting camp.  Way da go, Andy.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:52:21 PM »
Good Job, Andy.  Congratulations. 

I wish I could help out with the chokes, buddy. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »
Thanks guys, the choke tubes are out there somewhere, I will find them. I will be looking at the used stuff at Kittery Trading Post next time I head up north....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley