Author Topic: more m1a trouble  (Read 518 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
more m1a trouble
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
  I'm having trouble with the groups I'm getting with my m1a it's a standard  I've had the rifle since last November I bought it new I bought a arms scope mount for it my problem is it's grouping left and right about 4-5 inches apart at 100 yards. It's basically shooting in a way two groups at once so to speak but they are 4-5 inches apart both clusters are around a inch.  My thoughts are it's a bedding problem and if so this rifle hasn't even seen 100 rnds yet. Also it's really changing my opinion that I've always had about m1a's.If anyone has some helpful advice I'd be glad to hear it.

Offline phalanx

Re: more m1a trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »
Is it a Springfield? made in Ill. ? If it is that is your problem .
Mine did the very same thing ,i heard everything from glass bedding to barrel waging.
That is where a barrel is so cheap it isn't forged in a uniform fashion.
It will drift when it gets any heat on it.
I had so much hell with that rifle i finally sold it.
Get you a custom from Fulton armory ,LRB ,or send yours to Smith Enterprises to be made right.
The guy at Smith told me the first thing they have got to do to a Springfield is re-forge them.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »
WOW thanks now I know I'm not the only one that has gone through this. honestly I think I'm gonna go back to a AR I've never had so much trouble with a rifle in my life. Yes it was made in Ill. I've never been so disappointed in a rifle that I waited so long to get. After as much trouble I've had it will probly be leaving my collection before the end of the week. Thanks for the info.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »
I'm Sorry simplicity i wish i could have told you some better news.
I was real angry about it at first ,then i couldn't believe the gun was as bad as it was.
Like you i really wanted an M1A ,and the longer i kept it the worse it got.
I was on the phone all the time to Springfield ,and it seemed like they just didn't care .
I had a 1200 dollar scope on it and it still would drift all over the target at 100 yards even with the best mount for one you could buy. But it didn't matter it would do it with the open sights also.
When i sold it in a large gun store the owner told me he had been getting a lot of them and the Socoms had there problems also.
Wait until your flash hider cracks or comes apart on the end ,then call the factory and have them tell you a replacement is on back order and it is because you were shooting reloads .
I told them it was Federal and his response was ( well i wasnt there to see it ).
I couldn't see paying 1500 for the rifle then sending it to Smith for 8 weeks and paying another 1k just to get it right.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline sneekyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Im sorry to hear about your problem i have a socom 16 (without rail) And im shooting under one inch groups at 100 yards with winchester white box ammo.