Author Topic: Advantages of straight grip stocks?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline trail trol

• Trade Count: (0)
Advantages of straight grip stocks?
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »
    I've been reading through old posts regarding straight grip stocks and it has peaked my interest. I have a 357 barrel and a hornet barrel with a pallet wood stock now. Love the 357, still playing with loads for it, and when all is set with load development I plan on getting a peep and new front sight. More than likely I will cut it back to 18 1/2, Canada legal.
    The question is, is a straight grip better for iron sight use than a pistol grip? I know it is a matter of opinion, but what is the general feeling on this? And also, how does the higher hand position effect the trigger pull? I have a trick trigger finger and really struggle with anything over 4 pounds, so the trigger on the Handi is a challenge for me. Does the trigger finger get more leverage from the straight grip position?

thanxs in advance.

Bill

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Advantages of straight grip stocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
Hello buddy, I have converted a few from pistol grip style to straight style. I like the straight style myself and will try to help, but is is really a personal thing, some like, them, most do for quick work and fast target line up. But then again some don't, but fewer as I have seen it. I am not to sure about the trigger finger, never thought much about it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
I like straight grip stocks myself.  They just feel better to me.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
The only advantage I can see is that the straight gripped stock is lighter.  I just like the way they look.....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »
No need to suffer a heavy trigger mate! All you need to know about reworking one is in the stickies.
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the straight grip stock is usually considered faster handling, that is to the shoulder and on the target, following and leading moving game.
So it's the ticket for upland shotguns and short, handy, still hunting rifles... what the  19th century Brits called "stalking rifles".

The pistol grip style offers ergonomic advantage for long distance hunting , target shooting and to hold heavy kicking rounds on target keeping the rifle firmly planted against the shoulder.

I think  the short .357 you speak of is a nearly perfect platform for a straight stock!  ;)
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 06:08:10 AM »
Weather one likes a straight grip or a pistol grip is a matter of ones preferred shooting style. In the old days when we issued the m1903 rifle  troops were taught to shoot with the right elbow high. You'd try to get it above your head if possible. That worked well with the straight grip of the m1903, it left the wrist relaxed. With a PG stock such as a M1, it does not work so well. If you try to get your elbow up, the wrist becomes stressed due to the position of your hand on the pistol grip. 
  If you like the elbow high position, try a straight stock, if you like elbow low go for a PG. As a further illustration, when shooting the M16 /M4 we were taught to keep our right elbow nearly at our side.
  Of course this aint written in stone and in the end you use what feel right.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »
I doubt there is any "advantage" to a straight grip, some guns just look better with a straight grip, but I believe a pistol grip does provide better trigger control, perhaps, slightly.  With a straight grip the trigger finger is angled downward so the pull is more upward than rearward. Most pistol grips also angle the finger downward but perhaps to a lesser degree. Muzzleloading rifles with straight grips often had a rear extension to the triggerguard to provide somewhat the effect of a pistol grip and also sometimes a "shad belly" stock which angled the grip more downward without carrying that line on to the buttplate. Straight grips were popular on double trigger shotguns to allow shifting the grip from one trigger to the other but became obsolete with single triggers. I can't imagine any way a straight grip could be "faster" than a pistol grip although some quick handling guns were built with straight grips.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
I prefer the fit of a straight stock.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
I like straight stocks for open sights and pistol grips for optics.
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 03:41:35 AM »
pointing.......handling...........peep sights............iron sights

They lack cheek weld for scoped guns

also called "English" style..........common on double barrel shotguns and lever action rifles as well.....

I like something about them ............come to shoulder well I guess.

Had a Rem. 1100 years ago that was a special edition Grouse gun with a short barrel and English straight grip stock..........I should have never horse traded away

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 04:39:22 AM »
I think it all been covered here. It is mostly a personal choice. I think the straight grip is faster handling and slightly lighter. Pistol grip has a slightly better trigger angle and can be had in either straight comb or with a raised comb. I prefer the semi-pistol stocks for my shotguns, pistol grips for rifles and vertical pistol for bench guns. This is strictly personal, there is no one factor that is going to tip it in any way that one is so much better than another. If it were then we would all be shooting the same thing and there would be no question.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »
well said buddy, personal preference has a lot to do with it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
The idea of a straight grip was two fold, one to align both hands and not restrict the hand when using a double trigger on a S/S shot gun.

Other than that they are not of any significant advantage. They do increase recoil because they slide through the hand because they way your hand is
is held on the stock.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
I like straight grip stocks for a fast handling and quick shooting woods gun. I never feel or remember any recoil when I am hunting and shooting at game so that is not a concern. When a big whitetail suddenly appears in front of you and you have seconds to shoot before he jumps it is those few precious seconds of mounting the gun and acquiring a good target picture and sight alignment that count, and that is where I believe a straight grip stock is good. I cannot remember the recoil of any shot I have had at a game animal.
The only recoil I cannot forget is when firing prone (laying flat on the ground) for special qualification with, for the first few years, a bead sighted barrel and then in later years, a rifle sighted 12 gauge Remington Model 870 shotgun (w/a pistol grip and recoil pad by the way). The original bead sighted barrel from our issued shotguns were tagged and sent out to be refitted with rifle sights, we each got our original barrel back.
Slugs from the prone, ouch!! The first 5 or so were tolerable, but by the time the day was over, each and everyone of us on the squad was SORE. We were not small of stature nor were we recoil shy, and all had fired many different types of shoulder fired weapons, up to the 57mm Lake Erie tear gas gun with all sorts of different projectiles. The 12 gauge from the prone left us all black and blue and sore. This does bring back good memories of good guys and good times, and tough guys and tough times....<><....:)

Offline trail trol

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
thank to all for the replies. guess i'll start cutting that pallet wood stock up and give it a try.

bill

Offline smittty

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
The pistol grip stock allows more beef for your hand to hold the stock onto your shoulder.  The straight stock needs your hand wrapped tightly around it to get the same rearward force to keep it on your shoulder. 

For light shooting calibers such as the 22LR, 357 mag, 410, etc. the straight stock is easy to control but get into heavier caliber such as a 30-06 or 12 ga and I prefer the pistol grip.

Smitty

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
I cannot remember the recoil of any shot I have had at a game animal.

Me neither, and I don't remember a booming report either... more like a .22LR!

The only recoil I cannot ever forget is when firing for special qualification with, for the first few years, a bead sighted barrel and then later a rifle sighted 12 gauge Remington Model 870 shotgun

Fired 5 boxes of 1 1/4 oz. Federals, semi-prone over a makeshift bench, "sighting" my first slug gun--- an H&R Mod 162 Topper Buck 12 ga. smoothbore that weighed about   5 1/2 lbs, maybe...  quite memorable! :o
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »
your so right, slugs, laying in the ground prone, or even semi prone, especially from a light gun, just don't seem go together....<><....:)

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 06:51:06 PM »
I like straight stocks on shotguns. They force me to raise my elbow thereby forcing my head down. because of cervical arthritis I have a tendency to hold my head too high when making quick shots, such as flying or running game.