Author Topic: Action length of a short magnum?  (Read 993 times)

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Action length of a short magnum?
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »
I'm in the market for a model 70 stock for a 308.  I see stocks for sale but I'm unsure of the size.
It is my understanding the screw hole to screw hole measurements for the model 70 are as follows:

Short action - 7 1/8" (308)
Long action - 7 5/8

What is the measurement for the short magnums?

Offline mudstud

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Action length of a short magnum?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »
The action length between the guard screws is the same on a WSM as any other short action M70.  Usually referred to as 7" for the short action, and 7-5/8" for the long action.  FYI, the super short action is 6-5/8".  Keep in mind, there are different barrel contours for different models and/or calibers.  And it doesn't always make sense.  For instance, a WSM Featherweight does not have a Featherweight contour barrel, while a .243 Win in the Stainless Classic DOES have a Featherweight contour barrel.   :)

Offline bustedknee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
So what calibers fit the super short action?  Short magnums?

Offline mudstud

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
The only cartridges that will work in a super short action, are the WSSM's, because of the magnum bolt face.  The WSM's are the standard short action length, also with a magnum bolt face.

Offline bustedknee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
I did some more digging and found this:

Long action 7 5/8

Short Action 7 1/8

Super Short action 6 1/2

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/

Offline mudstud

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Well, OK, so I went and did some measuring, and my short action Model 70's measure 7.0" between action screws, center to center (plus or minus .05").  My WSSM Model 70's measure 6.3", center to center (plus or minus .05").  The figures I quoted previously come from Midwest Gun Works, but since you are determined to hold my feet to the fire, I just went ahead and checked it out for myself!   ;D  Looks to me like the quoted measurements from your source and mine are both rather general!   ;D

Offline bustedknee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:06:13 PM »
I appreciate your checking.

My pre-64 model 70 308 measures roughly 7.4 inches.

I have looked at several nice take-off stocks, on-line, that have been described as for standard cartridges.

When I ask what that means they usually get defensive and say "STANDARD!" calibers.

I talked to one fellow that had what I wanted, or so I thought.  He advertised it for a pre-64 short action.  But when I talked to him he said it was for super short cartridges and the 308 was too long.  So it must have been post-64 as well.

I think I will stick with the actual measurements.  If a seller won't give me the measurement - I won't buy.