Author Topic: H&R Ultra slugger 12ga Ammo  (Read 910 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
H&R Ultra slugger 12ga Ammo
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:08:56 PM »
Ok What is working in yours out to 200yds....I am working on 100yds first...It doesn't like SSt.....Lightfields are so so...I just bought some barnes expander's to try next...Trying to find that "Magic" bullet...Drop

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: H&R Ultra slugger 12ga Ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
2 3/4 Lightfield Commander IDS home rolled at 1600fps. Should do the trick at 200yd.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
Sorry.I dont roll my own...I should have specified factory ammo....Drop

Offline garandsrus

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
Eye shot,

What components do you use and where are you getting them from?  Also, what loading data source are you using?

I would like to load my own slugs.

Thanks,
John

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
garandsrus
Lightfield commander IDS-------Lightfieldslugs.com
WSF powder-------from local gun shop
WW 209 primers--  "      "     "      "
2 3/4 multi hull 7mm base wad or Activ hulls if you have some rolled or 8 star crimp mine do a little better with star crimp. I think I got the multi hulls at balistic products not sure.
Data comes with the slugs, but I worked up WSF instead of solo 1250 to the factory 1600fps.
I use 34gr WSF and just push slug and sabot in with my finger, makes a nice looking crimp, but caution these loads are not pressure tested use at your own risk.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline garandsrus

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:35:11 AM »
eye shot,

Thanks... I ordered some of the slugs.

John

Offline st8tman

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
Not sure about 200yds, but I shot 8 different slug configurations through my 12 USH. The Remington Buckhammer 3", Breinneke KO's 3", and Brenneke Black Magics were the ticket for mine. The Remington Copper Solids were very respectable, as were the old stand-by Winchester BRI's. It has been awhile, but if my memory serves me well......my gun DID NOT like Hornady SST's or Barnes Expanders. Seems the higher velocity loads overall were not quite as accurate out of this 1/35 twist barrel. Good Luck to You!

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »
Not sure about 200yds, but I shot 8 different slug configurations through my 12 USH. The Remington Buckhammer 3", Breinneke KO's 3", and Brenneke Black Magics were the ticket for mine. The Remington Copper Solids were very respectable, as were the old stand-by Winchester BRI's. It has been awhile, but if my memory serves me well......my gun DID NOT like Hornady SST's or Barnes Expanders. Seems the higher velocity loads overall were not quite as accurate out of this 1/35 twist barrel. Good Luck to You!

I haven't tried very many loads through mine.  I tried Remington Copper Solids and they are good enough that I didn't want to spend the extra money to see if something out there was marginally better.  I did, however, try the Remington Core-Lokt high-velocity sabots.  I thought the recoil was very harsh and they accuracy was not even as good as the Copper Solids.  So I stick with the CS.  I sighted in at 100yds. and I can have touching holes at that distance.  I've not tried 200yds.

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:52:08 PM »
I just bought 3 boxe's to try....when I go out..I think my shoulder is gonna get a thumpin........