Author Topic: are you brand loyal ?  (Read 821 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
are you brand loyal ?
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:59 AM »
The wife and I were discussing my buying habits. I am extremely brand loyal and as a result may be missing out on better products   ??? .  Example, my power tools are Black and Decker, Hand tools are Stanly, fishing reels are Zebcos, fishing rods are Ugly Sticks long guns are H&R. etc. How many others are "brand loyal"?
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: are you brand loyal ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:03:24 AM »
I am to a point  You really need  to step up on the black and decker now that B&D Are part of a bigger corp black and decker branded tools are there cheap line all of the pro line tools were changed to the dewalt line when they were bought.Dewalt,Black and Decker,and Porter cable are all the same company  Delta. d&d is there low end stuff now I quit buying stanley when they took manufaturing to china I will not buy anything that used to be made in the U.S. that now made offshore
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
Plumberroy, the china thing is what started our conversation. my favorite fishing rod is now marked made in china. both of us work in the transportation / logistics business. 20 years ago there was more freight out of new england in one day than there was out the rest of the US in a week. now most freight comes out of the west coast ports. we are in our slow time now, why? Chinese new year!!  The wife's company is actually paying for classes so they can learn to speak Mandarin. BTW they are projecting a 10% increse in chinese goods this year due  to price inflation in china. 
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 06:33:24 AM »
 I always find it funny to see someone say they'll never buy anything Chinese whilst they are pecking away on a computer.
I'm pretty brand loyal.  Even tho something may be made off shore, it is often made to the original companies standards. Often to higher standards than domestic products. And quality is what I look for.  High price does not always indicate high quality.  Nor does loud hype.  
If a company uses their good reputation to sell cheapened products, I'm off them forever.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »
I always find it funny to see someone say they'll never buy anything Chinese whilst they are pecking away on a computer.  
What I said was I won't buy something that used to be made in the U.S. that is now made offshore  like stanley tools or sharade knives it looks like briggs and straton is soon to be on that list  the last stanley tools  I bought where 2 socket sets walmart had them clearanced so they could bring in chinese made sets I go no where without a victorinox knife (usually have a buck 110 on my belt too) I'm just not going to spend money with companies that are saving 2 cent on manufacturing at the expence of American jobs and human rights . and most of the time they don't pass on the savings It would easy to bring the jobs back to America if people cared  If for one year every body did without  just  non essential chinese made items the companies would be breaking their neck to rebiuld American factories To many people  have the attitude It is not my job and it saves me two  cents......well it my not be your job now  but next time it might be
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »
some things would be very hard to tell.
like dodge harley etc.
she worked at eaton they made lifters for dodge and harley and crane cams,well they packed up in dec and
gone to mexico.
my point they still buy these harley bikes etc as its made in us.
Truth be known mexico parts etc assembled in usa.
just my 2 cents.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »
The brand has to earn my loyalty, then I am always looking and comparing others product.  Like Snow machines, if it don't say Ski-Doo it don't go into my garage.  They earned it with me.  As for vehicles, I shop and compare.  I drive a Ford F-350, son drives a Chevy 1500, wife drives a Mazda RX-8.  Tools I used to go with Craftsman for everything, no more.  Two years ago my Craftsman lawn tractor caught fire and totally burned.  Sears said "Sorry about your loss, Too bad."  When I threatened with a law suite they shifted the blame to Husquvarna, the manufacture.  Husquvarna replaced the tractor.  I don't shop Sears any more. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »
I try to buy quality.  Some of those items are made outside the US.  It is difficult to find computer hardware made in the US.  I buy Honda for small engines because they work.  Briggs and Stratton never have worked well for me.  I try to buy Ruger firearms as they are US made.  I have several boats, most US built but my speedboat was made in Sweden with Volvo engines.  3 of my commercial US built boats are powered with Volvo Penta marine engines made in Sweden.  Great engines.  One has a Cat engine, just as good. Just where do we go when US products do not meet the standards of imported products.  Try to buy good outdoor clothing made in the US.  My vehicles are made in the US but most of the components are made elsewhere and installed in the US.  No I'm not brand conscious, try to buy US and end up with mish mash of brands for the jobs at hand.  Who knows where an item is made nowadays with component parts so readily available. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:38 PM »
The brand has to earn my loyalty, then I am always looking and comparing others product.  Like Snow machines, if it don't say Ski-Doo it don't go into my garage.  They earned it with me.  As for vehicles, I shop and compare.  I drive a Ford F-350, son drives a Chevy 1500, wife drives a Mazda RX-8.  Tools I used to go with Craftsman for everything, no more.  Two years ago my Craftsman lawn tractor caught fire and totally burned.  Sears said "Sorry about your loss, Too bad."  When I threatened with a law suite they shifted the blame to Husquvarna, the manufacture.  Husquvarna replaced the tractor.  I don't shop Sears any more. 
The same thing happened to my brother with his Craftsman riding lawn mower. He finished cutting the grass and put it in his shed. The next thing he knew was his shed was up in flames and destroyed the swing set beside it. All was a total loss and he went back and forth with them for awhile. They did end up paying for the mower shed and swing set. He came out on top and bought a much bigger mower with a plow atachment for it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »
I guess some of you guys are just live a good life. Seems like when I try and save a buck on a cheap tool, it usually breaks, wasn't hardened right, shorts out, or in general, doesn't do a very good job like it's suppose to. And it's only going to get harder and harder to find products made here in the states. Most of my tools are Snap-On, Milwaukee, Dayton. I know there are bargains to be found, but I still go by the old saying, ya get what ya pay for.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
I guess some of you guys are just live a good life. Seems like when I try and save a buck on a cheap tool, it usually breaks, wasn't hardened right, shorts out, or in general, doesn't do a very good job like it's suppose to. And it's only going to get harder and harder to find products made here in the states. Most of my tools are Snap-On, Milwaukee, Dayton. I know there are bargains to be found, but I still go by the old saying, ya get what ya pay for.  gypsyman
With me being a carpenter I use tools every day. You are right you get what you pay for. I only buy quality power tools because I use them every day. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »
I'm pretty brand loyal.  Even tho something may be made off shore, it is often made to the original companies standards. Often to higher standards than domestic products. And quality is what I look for.  High price does not always indicate high quality.  Nor does loud hype.  
If a company uses their good reputation to sell cheapened products, I'm off them forever.
  I can't agree with that. there is nothing that I've seen come out of China that was near as good as it's U.S. made original. There are some good products made in other countries, yes, but nothing from china is worth the money spent on it!!! I hate shopping, but when I need something and I find it's made in China, I do shop around alot looking for that item made some where else.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline Questor

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:58:26 AM »
I'm a repeat customer of many companies, but I wouldn't consider myself loyal to any company. In outdoor pursuits, Beretta, Sage, Penn, Ambassadeur, Scientific Anglers, Dillon, Smith&Wesson, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Owner, Culprit, Poes Crankbaits, St Croix rods, and a few others have made very good products for me and I will consider them before others. They have earned my admiration.

But brand loyalty is a very fragile thing. I used Trilene fishing line for years and then tried Sufix. That was the end of my relationship with Trilene. Sufix is just a better line.

Then there are the companies I have learned through repeated bad experiences to avoid: Lee reloading equipment tops the list, Hornady reloading equipment, Remington .22LR cartridges, very few others.
Safety first

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:41:32 AM »
Good question. I am to a certain extent.  I compare items against like item (when possible), try to but American,
   which is becoming harder to do,  The bigger factor is price. Not the only factor but certainly one of importance.
    So, that being said, If the price is right and the product(brand) is to my liking, then I purchase. 
    Everbody has some kind of horror story about a name brand so after all is said and done ..........buyer be-where
     plus, what`s it cost seems to be a good rule to follow.....for me anyway. 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »
Brand loyalty is indeed a fragile thing. Since Quester is an okay guy, I feel I can tell this: @ 40 years ago, I bought a St Croix rod. I put an Ambassadeur reel on it and spooled it full of Stren line.  I went in the back yard with a practice plug to make a couple of cast to get the feel of the rod and the thing snapped in two. 
I wrote a nice letter --I'm not a screamer-- and explained the situation and really thought I'd get a replacement by return mail.  The letter, in a sealed envelope, stamped and addressed, lay on my desk for a couple of days while I was getting around to getting a shipping tube to send in the rod.  My wife, seeing only a stamped and addressed letter, mailed it.  Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks later, I got a letter from St Croix telling me that their engineers had examined my rod and decided it had been subjected to "extreme abuse" and my warranty was void. HOWEVER, as a gesture of good will, they included a certificate worth $10 toward any purchase from their catalog, which they included.  I sent them back their cert with a not so nice letter and I've never bought another St Crox product. 
I'm sure they make some good stuff but that one go turned me off.

Offline Questor

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 06:16:14 AM »
beemanbeme:

Once like that is all it takes. That's similar to what happened with my Hornady custom dies experience. They were expensive, they were faulty, Hornady didn't stand behind them and tried to charge me not for one fix, but for two. Consequently I don't buy any of their reloading stuff.  I see on the reloading forum that somebody has just had a problem with Dillon, I suppose it has to happen  once in a great while.

Safety first

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
Actually, that is the whole point of brand loyalty as far as I am concerned. I worked for an airline for 40 years. I would tell the newbies, "everybody screws up. It's how you treat the customer AFTER you've screwed up that determines whether you're a good airline or a bad airline." A customer shouldn't have to scream and holler and threaten law suits and talk to supervisors to get an accommodation to his problem when it was obviously a product fault or mis-service.  And if he has to threaten or take it to a higher court to gets his problem reconciled, he still comes away with a bad taste in his mouth. 

It has never failed to amaze me that folks will come into cyberspace and scream and holler about this product or that product is a POS and will go on for pages. And then when you ask have they contacted the vendor or the manufacturer about setting things right, they say no.  ???

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »
well, i bought the equipment i was needing / wanting, and could not pull myself away from what i usually buy. yes, every piece was made in China, even the line! I did find some equipment i liked, at 2 and 3 times the price, but i think every piece was made in China. My Dad told me nearly 15 years ago that the US would stop being a manufacturing country and tuen into a service country, and we would be better off for it. Looks like he was right about the first part, hope he will be right about the second part.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
I am fairly brand loyal. If a truck doesn't have GM on it I'm not interested. Didn't say Ford and Dodge are not good, just don't want one. To me the Japanese trucks are too ugly to consider, you might like them. Bought a big Craftsmen mower several years ago and the Briggs engine went south after it was out of warranty. Bought another Craftsman only with a Kolher engine and not one problem yet. I have cut mesquite bushes, cat claw, bear grass (actually yucca), and two foot high grass. If you can get on top of it it will mow it down. Some of the Chinese stuff is good if it is made for a manufacturer with a reputation for quality. I like ultra lite fishing rods because it makes the little fish I catch more fun. LOL. I own several UL rods, some made in the USA, the one I like best is a Berkley, made in China. I bought a new 4 1/2" angle grinder a couple of years ago. I have used Milkwaukee (one of the best), Makita, Craftsman, B & D, and a couple of Harbor Freight. The DeWalt I purchased two years ago because the Milkwaukee was a little larger than I wanted is one of the easiest to use and toughest I have ever picked up. It is made in China.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 01:45:56 AM »
Brand loyal?? I am quality loyal and tend to pay the extra for the quality---do I get burned? I have, sometimes brands tend to try and live on reputation.
I still am loyal to quality if I can determine it.
BNlessings
TEXAS, by GOD