Author Topic: Building steel carriage  (Read 602 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
Building steel carriage
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »
 Like I have said in the past I have no plans and Just playing it by ear. All I have are about a hundred pictures in my head and an imagination. So pleas let me know what I'm doing wrong, I hate cutting stuff apart. I started with 6" channel iron I figured a 16' lowboy trailer can have 4"C on it's tong and be rated at 6000 pounds my cannon can have 6"C on it's tong and only carry 160 pounds.Besides that's all i had.The overall length is 4' 2", The piece I had cut in two. The taper starts 16" from the front and gos to 3" wide with a 8" tail. As your looking from the top of a carriage did the cheeks taper to gather at the rear or stay the same with?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Building steel carriage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
Looks good so far EOD,

you might want to make the tale where it sits on the ground a little rounder,
not so flat on the bottom, it may grab more than you'll want on recoil, but that's just me.

I saw your post over on the other site and was going to bug you about when you were going to start your carriage....... glad I waited! ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:42:53 PM »
As you're looking from the top of a carriage, did the cheeks taper together at the rear or stay the same width?

The cheeks are parallel (no taper) and should have as an inside width the distance between the rimbases.  Check this post for some info about a steel carriage.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »
Up date

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

E.OD.,

Well I see it's moving along, a split trail design with some lightening cuts along the sides
sort of a modern take on an 18Th. Century carriage.  Keep the Photo's coming!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 03:50:48 AM »
This one had the lightening cuts. I looked high and low (and on the Internet ;) ) fore a back view.