Author Topic: Pop open on older rifle  (Read 546 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Pop open on older rifle
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
I have a survivor 308 that is older but only has maybe 100 rds through it.  Shot good before with no popping open, however I changed the stock and forearm to a laminate, now it wants to pop open every shot. >:(

The fit of the forearm seem good, would it being to tight or loose cause this? ???

Have read pop open medicine, and have several handis, the stock change seems to have affected it.

Any ideas? 

Thanks for your replies,

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Pop open on older rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »
If it doesn't pop open with the forend off, then the fit of the forend is the cause, if the forend fits real tight, try flat sanding the flat side of the spacer to loosen the fit up a little at a time.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »
Thanks Quick,

I'll try it the next time I'm out.  Had some pretty hot loads from a friend, but it popped with factory loads too.

Bobby

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »
Before you do anything, hold the rifle up to a light and try to see light between the barrel and standing breech, more than likely there will be a slight gap at the top due to the action not being closed all the way, in that case, you'll have to really slam it closed to eliminate the gap. The gap won't be there with the forend off. ;)

Tim

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
Update on 308,

I took the forearm off and to see if the rifle popped open when fired.  It did!  The rifle seems to lock up real good ???  I haven't checked the clearance between the barrel and receiver, but it looks tight.  Latch and shelf are clean, cleaned them again at the range with a Qtip.

Something has had to have happened to this rifle :-\
Is there a spring on the latch mechanism that could break or lose tension?

I think it is a candidate for a trip to H&R.  Also, I have a nice laminate stock and fore end on it, would you send it to H&R with the stocks on it?

Thanks for all help and advice,
Bobby

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
Bobby,

There is a spring against the latch, it's a coil spring that is seated in the trigger guard, it could be weak or defective, or the pocket it sits in is too deep, if you've exhausted all the tips on pop opens, I'd contact H&R and make arrangements for them to fix it, ask them to cover shipping and get a trigger job while it's there if it needs it. Be sure to put a tag on the rifle with a note of what you want done so the gunsmith sees the problem, sometimes a separate note will get lost, then they don't know what it's there for. You might consider another barrel while it's there too, a good time to take advantage of the time it's away from ya. ;)

I'll never send a rifle in with a nice stock on it, in fact, I don't send a stock at all, I order a stock when I order barrels, a lot of members put a plain pallet wood or a syn stock on it, one that a scratch or two won't make much difference, others don't send a stock at all.

Tim

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »
My buffalo classic started this after about 100 rounds.  Cleaning the shelf helps, for around 20 rounds then it starts again.

I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet.

Edit:  After reading the FAQ section on barrel mounting, I looked at mine.  I found a big burr on the barrel lock shelf.  cleaned it up with a fine stone and it works much better.  Now the lock piece goes further onto the barrel shelf and holds much better.