Author Topic: SR9: Wishing I hadn't bought one at this time.  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Clambo

• Trade Count: (0)
SR9: Wishing I hadn't bought one at this time.
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »

I just popped on here for a minute to let the folks here know that I really wish I hadn't bought this gun. Absolutely every article and post I've read says wonderful things about this gun, but my experience isnt good so far. Yes, it feels good in the hand, looks good, and has good accuracy potential, in fact I managed many 3 shot clusters with it today using Magtech 115's.

Here's the downside. Out of 100 rounds, I had about 17 jams of various types. Stovepipes, failures to feed, and many failures to go completely into battery. Yeah, I know its a new gun and a few might be acceptable, but 17 ? I've owned and shot other Ruger autos over the years and never, ever had a malfunction of any kind....even with floor sweepings.

Also, IMHO, the trigger isn't all that great either. Very gritty. I've read all the hype...." It will get better after several hundred rounds...", etc.. Why can't it be ok NOW ?

I expected more. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Clambo

Offline Mr. Joe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: SR9: Wishing I hadn't bought one at this time.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:13:25 AM »
Its a damn shame.  It looks like a great gun, but so did the 345.  It took Ruger a couple of years to get that straitened out.  I hope they can get the SR9 on track in shorter order though as i would like to buy one.
I am not afraid to make an example out of you

Offline Clambo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »
Retraction ! Amendment !

I've had this gun a couple weeks. My first impressions, written above, were not so favorable. Since that time things have changed. I removed the magazine disconnect safety as recommended by some. It was not difficult, there are good instructions at rugerforum.com. I went back out to shoot again today. Fired 3 boxes without a hitch. Magtech 115's, Remington 115's, and Remington 124's. All FMJ. The trigger was improved immensely and accuracy increased...obviously. Rem. 124 gr. FMJ seemed to have a slight edge in accuracy. I'm not shooting this pistol about as well as I can shoot a pistol. Maybe not quite as well as a 1911 but very acceptably. I guess my only gripe now is that the pistol has many sharp edges on the slide. I've cut myself twice now. Guess not much can be done about that.

All in all, I'm pleased !

Clambo

Offline Clambo

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »
I reckon for fun I'll continue updating this until I wear the gun out. :) I'm on range trip number 4 now and have about 600 rounds through the gun. Not experiencing any stoppages at this point. Have pretty much tried all the budget ammo available locally with the exception of Winchester white box 147 gr. subsonic. I guess I like the Remington 115 gr. JHP the best....it's definitely more fun on Diet Coke cans, but the 124 gr. Remington FMJ's do print a tiny bit better. I am about as used to the trigger as I'm gonna get and I guess it's acceptable. ( This is my first striker fired pistol ever) Still planning on sending it out to Springer Precision for some trigger work. It probably doesn't need it, but I've always tried to get all I could out of any gun I've ever owned. The gun will print roughly 3" groups at 50 ft off a rest with factory ammo, I guess that's ok ? I'm not sure what the standard is for this type of pistol as all my previous experience is with either good revolvers or good 1911's, both worked over and both using well thought out handloads.

Next step, trigger job followed by reloads. I've never loaded 9mm before. Anyone got a dandy standard pressure load for either 115 or 124 gr. bullets ? I could care less about power but am looking for the best in accuracy here.

Anyway, I'm happy I bought it now. I'm having fun. It was a nice day in the woods today !

Clambo

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
Glad its working out for you.

I'm waiting for my 9mm dies to come from Midway --probably Mon or Tues------so no real experience loading this cartridge.

Wanted .45ACP too but the Lee dies were out of stock and don't want to spend the extra for RCBS or Hornady---ammo is getting expensive enough already.