Author Topic: Who owns both? Optima Elite and T/C Encore  (Read 870 times)

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Who owns both? Optima Elite and T/C Encore
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Just wondering who might own both and what your honest opinion is between the two as far a fit, finish, accuracy and anything else pertinent?  I see that Bergara makes barrels for T/C as well.  I wonder if Encores with the Bergara barrels shoot any better or worse than T/C barrels made by different companies.  Basically I am looking at the price difference and wondering what you are getting with one and lacking with the other!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Who owns both? Optima Elite and T/C Encore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
I have limited use with both, bought a used Encore frame that had been modified with heavy hammer spring and a 3lb trigger, I put a PH t-hole stock on it and bought a 375H&H PH barrel for it. After reading a lot on forend issues, I floated the forend using home made pillars and longer screws, the first range trip, it shot a ¾" group with 270gr Hornadys with a near max load, so it's a good shooter with that load, did some work with 300gr TSXs, but that hasn't panned out yet.

Bought a used 7mm--08 OE, had a 4½-5lb trigger, sent it to CVA for a free trigger job, it came back with a 3lb-14oz trigger at best, also added a t-hole stock. It shoots 160gr handloads right at ¾" or slightly better so far, I shot it before that with factory ammo and the muzzleloader forend that came on it,  didn't like the 140gr Fusion or Remingtons then, but with a centefire forend it may have been better. I also have a 300 Win Mag barrel for it, it shoots Federal factory 180gr fair, and some 150gr handloads were questionable, haven't shot it since tho, too many other guns to play with!!

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118885.msg1098392052.html#msg1098392052

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123088.msg1098436389.html#msg1098436389
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Steve Pennington

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Who owns both? Optima Elite and T/C Encore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »
I own a TC encore with a 243 Bergara barrel, it shoots about 1" at 100 with factory loads.  I have also hunted hogs with a 30-06 TC encore and it shot excellent.  The quality of the Bergara barrel and accuracy with cheap factory 100gr federal loads impressed me.  When a Optima Elite came up for sale at a good price I grabbed it up.  It is a 308 with standard stock, camo.  My scope and mounts for it just came in.  I plan on posting range results as soon as the weather permits.  The OE looks like a good quality gun.