Author Topic: shotshell loads...  (Read 975 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
shotshell loads...
« on: July 06, 2003, 12:26:24 PM »
hey guys, anyone remember where the post about reloading shotshells in pistol cartridges is?   i have been looking and looking and cant find it.    i have a new interest in it now as i used some 45 auto to thin out some varmints around the house.   but they arent afraid to charge for them; which leads me to my question.   i know a few of you had homemade shotshells and i would love it if you would revisit the subject for me.   :lol:

Offline Duffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
shotshell loads...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 02:57:46 PM »
Myronman;
Are you looking to load them for your 45 acp or for another caliber? The auto takes special dies that are kinda spendy where as the 357 & 44 just use the shot capsules that Speer markets. The loading data is in the back of their manual. I prefer the 45 auto because they pattern better. I picked up a set of the dies years ago and the prossess takes a bit of time but once you have the brass formed it's not that bad. Number 12 shot makes hamburger out of buzzworms. :)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
shotshell loads...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:25:21 AM »
other calibers.   i didnt even know 45 auto's could be made at home.   i have a 454, two 44's; but the barrels on them are a bit long for shotshells.  i have read that the shorter barrels generally pattern better.   the oly previous experience i have had with shotshells is the 22 l.r. , and there is quite a difference between the two.   i am impressed.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
shotshell loads...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:51:22 PM »
I roll my own .44's and .38's.  I use #6 shot in the .44's for rats to rabbits. I have a small supply of #12 that works real good for up close snakes (yes, only when I have to). The .38/.357 is a little light for big varmits but the .44 will take rabbits or cats at 25 feet if you use #4. (the shot pattern is not very good with #4 but a rabbit will drop with one pellet) Dad carries a .38 for rats.
Rick

Offline Danny

• Trade Count: (4)
shotshell loads
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 01:46:03 PM »
A friend of mine uses #12 shot is a .45 Colt for shot loads.  His technique was from a magazine article he read a few years ago.  You take a .45 gascheck and seat it on top of the powder charge in the normal direction with a pencil. Then you fill the cavity with shot and seat an upside down gascheck on top.  A light crimp holds it in place. The powder charge he uses is fairly light, as that seems to help patterns. You can weigh the gas checks and the shot to get the projectile weight and load with a light to normal powder charge for that weight projectile.  He tried it out on potatoes about the size of a rattlers' head and was impressed with the damage. It works just as well on the real thing, too! :-)

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
shotshell loads...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 02:10:51 PM »
I believe there is a good artical on this topic over at http://www.jamescalhoon.com/. go to informitive articals and then snake loads.
hth

Offline kciH

• Contributor
shotshell loads...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 03:17:50 PM »
Myronman,
Speer makes the shot capsules for the .45 Colt/Casull as well as the .38 and .44 capsules that have been available for years.  Load up a box of them in some .45 Colt casings for your casull. You can probably beg a pound or two of #9 shot off of someone who shoots skeet.  Ballistic products sells small quantities of #11 and #12 shot also.  Speer has load data for these and it is very simple to make them.  I once shot a round of skeet with my 8 3/8" M29 Classic Hunter using the .44 capsule and #9 shot, I got a 7.  I had to wait for the birds on the end stations to get very close.

In my opinion, with casual use, you'd be wasting a big chunk of change on the .45ACP shot shell setup.  At Midway 25-.45 capsules $4.98, $9.14 for a box of 50- .44 capsules.  The CCI shot shells are usually $8-10 box of 10

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
shotshell loads...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 04:40:23 PM »
you aint kidding that the 45 auto aint cheap.   seeeing as i have a 44 and a 454; and the fact that dad gave me a box of the speer shot capsules for the 44 kind of seals the deal.

Offline Castaway

shotshell loads...
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 03:52:13 AM »
I've done both 45 Colt and 45 ACP.  For the 45 ACP cartridge, I used a 40 S&W die to taper the neck and then a 38 die for the final crimp over the mouth.  Starting with a 308 or 30-06 case, trim to the length of a loaded SWC round.  Run through the 40 die, trim again.  I forget the powder/charge, but as i recall, it wasn't that much of a mental exercise to get it to function safely.  If your primer backs out, go with more shot.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
shotshell loads...
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 06:35:38 PM »
The way Mr. Calhoon makes his is the way I have been making mine in .41 since I saw the artical in some long forgotten magazine. They work just fine thank you. :wink:
Love those .41s'

Offline kciH

• Contributor
shotshell loads...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 06:41:03 PM »
Crawfish,
I've been using the gas check technique for the .41 mag since I first saw it.  I wish Speer would make the capsules for the .41, but I doubt well see that day anytime soon, since it took them this long to make the .45's