Author Topic: site slow  (Read 1473 times)

Offline ranger 76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
site slow
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:27:43 AM »
dose anyone else find this site slow or hard to move around on or is it me. Thanks Lorne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: site slow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »
The west coast has had some problems recently due to a network issue, but it's not the GBO server, the host is working on it. Dunno if Canada is affected, but could very well be.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:51 AM »
I'm in Michigan and this site has always been slow. I just live with it as I like it here so much.

Nick

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
I don't post much but, I spend quite a bit of time just reading all of the info here. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »
It's no longer slow since we moved to the new server a few weeks ago other than those affected by the temporary and brief west coast network issues which I got hit with this am for several minutes. This page loaded in .102 seconds for me, you can see the page load time at the very bottom of every page. The slight delay before the entire page loads is due to the ads loading which add 5-10 seconds to the page load but won't be seen in the page load time at the bottom of the page.

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:08:31 AM »
all I have noticed so far is when I click from one topic back to another it hangs and if I stop it and hit back button again it takes right off. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »
The way to determine if the site (technically speaking our servers and the software on them) is slow is to look at the very last line on the page that tells you the time it took the server/software to deliver the page to the internet. In the case of this page I am typing this on it says:

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 14 queries.

That's the site's time.

Now how long it takes the page to get to you and to be displayed on your computer is a combination of factors. It's how long it takes the little electronics to move from our servers located in Texas thru the various phone lines, relays, servers and whatever else to your computer via your connection to the internet. We have zero control over how long that takes sorry.

It often takes as many as 15 to 20 hops for a page to get from the server to your computer. I used to know how to do a ping I think it is called to determine that. When you do one IF your ISP allows them it will tell you precisely where the signal went from our server to and then each step it took along the way in getting to your computer and it gives the transit time at each hop. You'd be amazed at what it shows. My ISP refuses to allow that anymore so I've long since forgot how to do it but I'll bet Tim knows.

All the time over and above what that little last line on the page says it took our server to deliver up the page is time beyond our control and there is not one single thing we can do to speed that up. I've yet to see a time over 0.3 second since we moved to the new servers. Still at my house it is not at all uncommon for my actual real world wait time to see that page be 20-30 seconds. I have Hughes.net satellite service and it can be ridiculously slow at times in fact almost always is.

One day when I was experiencing really long delays I called Matt and jumped on him to "fix the danged site" and make it faster so I didn't wait so long. He checked it on his cable connection and told me I had lost my mind as it was blazing fast. So we did a bit of a test and he and I would both click on the same link at the same moment and see how long it took the page to be displayed on our monitors. On average it took 30 times that's THIRTY TIMES as long at my house as it did at his. Yet we both were pulling the same page from the site site.

Folks as much as I'd like to see it faster both for you and for me it's not within our control to make it faster as the servers we use are blazing fast and do their thing is tenths of a second just about 100% of the time. Beyond that it's your computer and your connection via the internet to us that accounts for the delays and we cannot alter that.

Yes I hear many say but at other sites we don't have this problem. True enough no doubt BUT understand that the path it takes to your computer from those sites is not the same path it takes from ours. In fact there might not be more than one or two of 15-20 hops the same from some other site as from ours. We have no control over the path the signals take to get to you. The ONLY thing we can control is our servers and they are as fast as current technology allows we do have state of the art fast servers and many of you helped us pay for them. If we could fix it we would and for sure I'd be the first to insist on it being fixed as things at my house are as slow as at any of yours most likely unless you're on dial up and at times I'm even slower than that. It's frustrating and I understand it as I share that frustration here at my house. But I've seen it at Matt's house and believe me it's NOT happening there so I know it's not the GBO Site or our servers at fault.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
.142 with 31 queries, for me.   Seems pretty zippy here in SoCal
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
Here's a ping tool, enter 69.13.205.66 in the box, select Ping from the options above and submit, the results are shown below to the left.

http://network-tools.com/

Here's another...

http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.ping-test.html

You can run a ping test on your own service at PC Pitstop, they also explain how to run the test right from your PC without using a Ping utility.

http://pcpitstop.com/internet/pinger.asp

You can also run a traceroute which shows the hops Bill mentioned...

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/traceroute/

And to test you internet speed, just use speedtest in your favorite internet search engine for many sources lke...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I bet Matt will offer some great advice!! ;D

Tim

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 32 queries

FAST as FAST CAN BE.....

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
No real advice to offer as GB pretty much covered it. The server is fast and we have 5000Mbits+ of aggregate, multi-homed GigE fiber-optic bandwidth available to our server and our host advertises having multiple OC12 backbone connections. So the path for the data is as wide as a 24 lane highway and in most cases should be able to get to you in a mere second or two. But the nature of the internet and networks in general causes bottlenecks at times on some routes the data takes. If your ISP has only one or two paths for the data then there is a good chance you will find a bottleneck in your surfing.

Other delays... well yeah at times the ads may cause a page to load slowly but until such a time when the masses at GBO are able to contribute in donations to help keep the site up I really do not see them ever going away.

Folks at last count I myself had close to 25k hours of time invested into the GBO site GB I am sure has the same if not more. Over the last 11 years we have spent many thousands of dollars on GBO to keep it going. Up till last year we would not allow members to contribute in the way of donations as we had the banners and they offset the operating costs of GBO to a point that GB and I felt comfortable with. In 2006 we saw a huge growth in the traffic at GBO and in order to maintain the level we had to add a second server to handle the extra traffic. This was when we added the Google ads to help again offset the operating costs the new server added. Then last year we saw that even the 2 server we had would not be enough to sustain the growth rate we currently have here at GBO so GB and I decided to buy 2 new servers that could sustain our growth and do it for several years to come. At that point we felt we had to allow those who felt it a worth wild cause to donate to help offset the cost of the change and every little bit has helped but to be honest of our 23k+ members we have only had 123 that felt GBO offered them enough value to donate a few dollars to help keep it running. This was the reason we took on the new partner Outside Hub which is the banners in place now where Google was. They now help us to offset the costs and will help keep GBO alive for years to come.  So bottom line if you want the site to be any faster than it is now donate a few dollars each month so we can remove the Google banners outside of that it is what it is and that is about all it can be...

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »
all I have noticed so far is when I click from one topic back to another it hangs and if I stop it and hit back button again it takes right off. Kurt
I have been having the same problem.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »
.225 seconds with 36 queries,seems quick to me.I use IE7 and foxfire browser,and to me it seems like its faster when I use foxfire browser.Pages load much faster,anyone else notice this or is it just me?
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 05:59:12 PM »
I kind of put it off to a little code that makes you wait until all the banner advertisements load before it starts displaying the messages on the page.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »
That would be an incorrect assumption on your part we have no such in fact the OSH banners are set to load separate and after the page. Trust me I don't like waiting anymore than you do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »
On my machine all the banners load and display first, then the rest of the page.  The page never displays before the advertisements.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »
Must be your computer settings or your ISP then as it doesn't on mine. Well some times it does but not most of the time. What usually happens is that the stuff at the top of page loads first then the blocks for the OSH banners and the text below such that I can scroll right past them while they are loading and they pop into place later. I really dunno about the Google stuff since it's at the bottom of page now but when it was where OSH is now they usually were still the last thing to load for me.

At times the page will load for me down to the OSH banners and just seem to hang forever OK really only 15-20 seconds. That's not the norm but does happen. Always tho the server's time is well under 0.3 second so I know it's just my stupid slow satellite connection holding me up. What specifically should be loading at that time that isn't I really never know as I'm not sure the precise order of load for things.

Since some stuff on the pages come from sources other than the GBO servers they might be the hold up. The OSH and Google banner are hosting on their own sites not at GBO so it is possible that their server could have a glitch and hold up things that the GBO server doesn't take into account in that time it lists at bottom of page.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
I'm in MN and this site is much faster today than last week.  MUCH.

Thanks!
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »
We did nuttin it's just your internet connection that changed the site is as it was.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
Other delays... well yeah at times the ads may cause a page to load slowly but until such a time when the masses at GBO are able to contribute in donations to help keep the site up I really do not see them ever going away.

Looks like Matt seems to think the banners do make the site slow.  Larry

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »
They add images and images take band width. That's the only slow down from them routinely. I get a hang up from time to time just as you say you do. I also have the option to not see the banners which I try from time to time to see if they are making any real slow down. Generally they don't. I still seem to get the same hang up with or without them. Server time even when I get the hang up glitch is under 0.3 seconds and often under 0.2 seconds. It's just my stupid satelline internet connection hicupping.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 06:16:08 PM »
Tonight the internet is terribly terribly slow for me. But even tho at my house it took at least 20 seconds for the page to come up after my last post the server time says:

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 42 queries.

I had the banners turned off prior to making the post so they had zero impact. It's just that my connection to the internet tonight is horrible. I tried to check the weather earlier and couldn't even get their page to load at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »
Could be bad form on my part, but check out how saubier.com loads, the boards are up and viewable instantly.  Not to call you Baby Ugly, it is just slow.  Larry

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
Speedy Fast here in Florida since the upgrade
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 05:34:16 AM »
OK Larry I checked it. Took longer to load at my house than GBO pages do at my house and it has far less data on the page to load. Sorry but your story is just plain BS. Your connection thru the internet to GBO is slower than your connection thru the internet to Saubier OK so be it but that does not mean taht site is faster than GBO. My connection to it is slower than to GBO today at least.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »
OK going back to it I now see why you think it is so fast. Nothing on the page changes so once you have it in cache it does load fast as it's loading from cache not from the internet. A LOT of stuff at GBO changes with every page you load and yes that is slower than reloading a page that doesn't change. The images there are static ours are not.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
well i don't know about the time and querries, but i do know my finger and mouse
will only move so fast and the site stays up or ahead.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 07:49:33 AM »
Page load time is at the very bottom of every page here.  ;)

Tim

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59:50 AM »
yea i looked Tim says .337 - 52 queries. What can i do in .337 seconds, sneeze
can't blow my nose, maybe blink couple times, seems plenty fast to me, course i am getting old and not in as big of a hurry. ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline hpdrifter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:27 AM »
dose anyone else find this site slow or hard to move around on or is it me. Thanks Lorne

it's the slowest site I think I've ever found.  I just tried to open a 58 count thread, went and took a dump, and the thing still ain't open. Had to abort.  On another site, I can open and 11 PAGE thread before a regular thread here opens.

it's just a good thang there is good info here, or I wouldn't even bother.

oh, and it said the page opened in .312 second or something like that Yeah right.