Author Topic: correct way to measure a barrel  (Read 391 times)

Offline js

• Trade Count: (0)
correct way to measure a barrel
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
Hi, I'm in need of a rainy day project and while browsing this site for a while I've taken a liking to the truck/woods walking gun. I've got a pardner 12 guage for a platform just got a couple of questions before I start it.

I was wondering if anyone had links to how a barrel is measured. I've heard and I think read on here about the dow rod down the barrel on a closed action. I've gone through the ATF state laws and published ordinances- firearms book that I have and been to their web site. I can not find anything official that this is the way it is done, but my search fu is weak. I guess my main question is, do you count the chamber in your measurement? It seems that you would but just want to be sure.

I think I'll go start messing around with the stock for now. Stand by for more questions after I see what I'm getting into.
thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: correct way to measure a barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »
the correct measurement FOR A HANDI would be from the back of the chamber end of the barrel to the muzzle. You could either just measure the barrel itself, chamber included or you could drop a dowel or rod down the muzzle to contact the breech face and measure that, I measure the barrel myself, less chance for error. I would suggest you add at least 1/4" in FINISHED length for errors in measurement so do not run afoul of the law. That might even be + 1/2" or perhaps more for the initial cut, depending on what you were cutting with and how square your first cut is....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: correct way to measure a barrel
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:30:35 AM »
That minimum for a shotgun barrel is 18", just so you don't confuse it with the minimum for a rifle barrel, that sure would be the pits!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain