Author Topic: survivor/.357/open sights?  (Read 451 times)

Offline mondragon

• Trade Count: (0)
survivor/.357/open sights?
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:30:39 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what my second H&R rifle is going to be (already have a .17 Sportster I'm very happy with), but I can't find what I want on H&R's website. Basically, I'd like the Survivor model, but in .357, and with open or peep sights. I saw the other thread about the older .357 Survivors, but is it possible to build a new one, maybe by ordering the separate parts from H&R? Also, does that combination sound reasonable (like will open sights be usable with the Survivor stock)?

Thanks!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: survivor/.357/open sights?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »
Yes it is very possible to put one together from parts, also the Survivor stock works very well with open sight I have a couple of sets and they are great. And all this from a guy (me) that did not like them for aesthetic reasons, then I tried a set and was hooked....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mondragon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it would be better to pick up a Survivor in .223 and try and get a .357 barrel for it, or do the reverse and get the .357 Handi-rifle and put a Survivor stock on it? I just noticed that Midway has the Choate Survivor stocks, do those fit on any H&R rifle (like even my 17 Sportster)? Also, as far as open sights, will H&R do that as a custom order, or would I need to find a local gunsmith to do the work?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions; I'm just learning about the H&R world. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »
Welcome!  ;) All H&R stocks, including all of the synthetic stocks that Choate makes for H&R, will fit any H&R firearms, with exception of the forends for the 10ga and the 12ga slug barrels. Synthetic stocks can be ordered direct from H&R, Choate or other retailers. The SB1 357mag rifle can't be fitted with any other rifle barrels, just shotgun and Huntsman barrels if they continue to offer them.  So your best option would be to get the 223 Survivor and send it in for a 357 barrel, unless you don't want the bull barrel. Spend some time in the FAQs and Help sticky, most of your questions have been asked before, the answers are already in there, lots of others will be answered that you don't even have questions for yet. ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.aspx
*Note: The frame of the 44 Mag. (SB1-S44) and the 357 Mag. (SB1-S35) cannot be fit with any other centerfire rifle barrel. They are capable of being fit with accessory shotgun barrels, but their rifle capability is limited to the specific 44 or 357 Mag. barrel that it is shipped on the gun.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mondragon

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
So your best option would be to get the 223 Survivor and send it in for a 357 barrel, unless you don't want the bull barrel.

Sounds good; I was actually originally interested in the .223 w/bull barrel, but thought it would be more fun to have the Survivor share ammo with a revolver I'm considering. Also I gather from browsing some of the other threads that the Survivors have the stronger frames (SB2?) which seems like a good idea. So, there's no problem with changing a bull barrel to use a regular barrel? The fore-end grip still fits? (Guess I should read the FAQs :)

Quote from: quickdtoo
Spend some time in the FAQs and Help sticky, most of your questions have been asked before, the answers are already in there, lots of others will be answered that you don't even have questions for yet. ;)

Will do; I've got a three-day weekend so looks like I'll be spending my day off doing some reading. :)

Thanks!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
I agree, get the .223 Survivor and add the .357 barrel later. That is the best way to go....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »
The 223 and 308 Survivors have SB2 rifle frames, the 410/45 Colt Survivor comes on an SB1 shotgun frame.

Forends are all the same due to the fact that all barrels have a slight step from a 1.1XX" breech and then taper some except the Superlight which has a bigger step and then is almost straight, and the 10ga based shotgun barrels, some just have more space tween forend and barrel depending on the contour, if you look at the Retail Parts Price list in the FAQs, there's no difference in forends except for the USHs and 10ga. The bull barrels just have less taper, but are pretty much the same size where the forend fits. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
i purchased a .308 survivor and sent the frame in for a .357 and a 45/70 both barrels work great with the survivor configuration. i mounted a red dot sight on the .357 , its my favorite gun hands down !   
kelly