Author Topic: Did Knight make a Disc Ext with flutted barrel in 50cal?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Did Knight make a Disc Ext with flutted barrel in 50cal?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
simpleman, does it have the pull pin to remove the bolt?
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
Bushnell 3200's and 4200's are very good. Nikon Buckmasters are very good also.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Simpleman96

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 02:48:14 AM »
Yes it does have the pull pin. Is that good or bad? I am considering the Elite 3200.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »
That's good... the older style had a allen screw that you had to remove to take the bolt out.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »
Has anyone got that new breech plug that is supposed to reduce blow back on the disc extremes?

Offline Wolfhound

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
Has anyone got that new breech plug that is supposed to reduce blow back on the disc extremes?

That's the only one I will use.

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 01:57:44 AM »
Wolfhound: Did you have to actually call knight to get it? I do not see it on their site. If so approx cost.

Offline frogee

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 03:17:41 AM »
I saw one at a Cabela's for around 20 bucks. That is the domed breech plug. I think Knight calls it the breech plug for the Revolution.
Say Wolfhound, have you tried the non plastic jacket breech plug in your disc extreme?
Art

Offline Wolfhound

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »
I saw one at a Cabela's for around 20 bucks. That is the domed breech plug. I think Knight calls it the breech plug for the Revolution.
Say Wolfhound, have you tried the non plastic jacket breech plug in your disc extreme?
Art

It's the Revolution plug.

I'm considering ordering a non FPJ plug. I haven't tried one yet but someone I know has. The only reason I'm considering it is he found that the Domed plug will not ignite the new Blackhorn 209 powder. It's supposed to be like smokeless in that it's non corrosive. He's got a few guns he's not cleaned to check that.

I've got a bunch of T7 I need to shoot up yet but I may be ordering one soon and then looking for the new powder.

Offline frogee

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
I am thinking along the same lines. I would still use other powders but for a hunting load the new stuff sounds good especially because of it's not corrosive nature.
Art

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »
Sounds good. I would go ahead and get the conversion as it won't matter even if the Blackhorn 209 isn't as great as it has been said. See the FAQ I have some things on the conversions.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
Ill probably stick with the pellets myself as they are just to convenient.

Offline frogee

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »
If I were you I would consider using loose powder in some form for two reasons. First it is much cheaper to shoot than pellets. Secondly, you get the ability to fine tune your loads so you can get the accuracy you want out of your gun. It really is not that much of a hassle to measure out the charges ahead of time. To me it is being able to mess with different loads that makes muzzle-loading so much fun.
Art

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »
I may attempt to use loose powder this season but I will have to get extra speed loaders. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »
Simpleman96,

Take a look at the last line on my muzzleloader list in my signature line. I blame you, and your accomplices in this thread. I ordered 3 last Friday, they showed up yesterday (Monday) afternoon. How is that for fast? All three boxes in one larger box, arrived in excellent shape, except for some of the styrofoam in the muzzle end of the boxes. The rifles are very nice, MHC Serial #'s. One is MHC 14XX, the other two are MHC 16XX. I was pleasantly surprised to see the metal thimble on the fluted barrel, very nice rear Williams red F/O Fire-Sight and Knight (by Williams) front green F/O sight. Another nice feature was the metal trigger guard on the very solid synthetic stock with cheek swell. The crowns all look excellent as expected with a Green Mountain barrel. The only things a Master Hunter had on these was a Laminate TH stock, Synthetic TH stock, jeweled bolt, and a $800 price tag.

They sure didn't spare the Cosmoline in the bores, I will get to those later in the week. These rifles balance extremely well, and just fit me to a "T". I will shoot one, and probably give the other two away as gifts to a couple deserving young hunters.

If anyone has been sitting on the fence, contemplating on whether these are a good buy or not, they are IMO "The most rifle you can buy for the least money today."  Period! The plain Disc Extremes are selling for about $420 most places, and these are much nicer.

Thanks guys for the heads up on an outstanding deal! ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline frogee

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
Busta, I will be looking forward to some range reports. I think it is a sweet deal too.
Art

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:50 AM »
I'm glad you got in on this "Busta". I think we made out like bandits on this one. I will never let this one go. If I could afford it I would have got a second myself. Mine did not have an excess amount of cosmoline in the bore
though. I just ran a couple of patches through it and then a thin coat of oil. I will try to get out and shoot it soon. Can't until I get these stitches out of my hand. Next I have to pick up the loading accessories and powder
anyway.   

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »
Simpleman96,

Take a look at the last line on my muzzleloader list in my signature line. I blame you, and your accomplices in this thread. I ordered 3 last Friday, they showed up yesterday (Monday) afternoon. How is that for fast? All three boxes in one larger box, arrived in excellent shape, except for some of the styrofoam in the muzzle end of the boxes. The rifles are very nice, MHC Serial #'s. One is MHC 14XX, the other two are MHC 16XX. I was pleasantly surprised to see the metal thimble on the fluted barrel, very nice rear Williams red F/O Fire-Sight and Knight (by Williams) front green F/O sight. Another nice feature was the metal trigger guard on the very solid synthetic stock with cheek swell. The crowns all look excellent as expected with a Green Mountain barrel. The only things a Master Hunter had on these was a Laminate TH stock, Synthetic TH stock, jeweled bolt, and a $800 price tag.

They sure didn't spare the Cosmoline in the bores, I will get to those later in the week. These rifles balance extremely well, and just fit me to a "T". I will shoot one, and probably give the other two away as gifts to a couple deserving young hunters.

If anyone has been sitting on the fence, contemplating on whether these are a good buy or not, they are IMO "The most rifle you can buy for the least money today."  Period! The plain Disc Extremes are selling for about $420 most places, and these are much nicer.

Thanks guys for the heads up on an outstanding deal! ;D
The two people that get these as gifts are very lucky. I only wish I had the cash but I am holding out for the KP1 now.

Rick

Offline Stoneybroke

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »
The UPS truck brought mine today.  I've already ordered the nfj kit to experiment with.  I wonder how many of these guns are out there.  Mine has a four didgit serial number and the salesman told me they flying out the door.

Offline jjenkins

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 07:30:18 AM »
ordered one today  ;D need to intercept the visa bill next month to keep the wife from  finding out.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
ordered one today  ;D need to intercept the visa bill next month to keep the wife from  finding out.

You guys just haven't figured out how it is done yet. What you have to do is buy 3 like I did, then you put the same spin on buying like they do. You say look at how much I saved, the regular price was $399.99, I paid $259.99 for a savings of $140 per unit. $140 X 3units = $420 savings, or buy 2 get one free. They understand it when you show them how much you SAVED! ;D ;D ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »

You guys just haven't figured out how it is done yet. What you have to do is buy 3 like I did, then you put the same spin on buying like they do. You say look at how much I saved, the regular price was $399.99, I paid $259.99 for a savings of $140 per unit. $140 X 3units = $420 savings, or buy 2 get one free. They understand it when you show them how much you SAVED! ;D ;D ;D

Buy 2 get one free. I have never thought of it like that!!!!

Rick

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 03:55:27 AM »
Well I guess I missed the boat on this deal.  I have the 45 cal SS fluted disk ext, and have been thinking of getting a 50 cal disk.  I just saw this thread and went to fur fins and feathers site and low and behold they are sold out. >:(

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 11:45:06 AM »
Sorry you missed out on this. You probably wouldn't have got a better deal.

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 01:49:23 AM »
If in fact it is the Master Hunter barrel it will shoot great, as I have the Master Hunter. Lou
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
If in fact it is the Master Hunter barrel it will shoot great, as I have the Master Hunter. Lou

Lou,

They are the Master Hunter Cryogenic "MHC" serial numbered barrels, and they shoot just horribly, WELL!

I still have 2 of them NIB. ;)

First 10 groups from mine, 4 of those groups were sub MOA, and the others were probably the loose nut behind the butt. ;D This was also the first groups I shot with Blackhorn 209.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline rt_con

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 04:43:29 AM »
Great report Busta ! ;)

Did you ever slug the barrels of your Knights ? 

I've heard that MHC barrels are tighter bored then the regular Knights..and that may be why they shoot great. I also heard that maybe Knight / Green Mountain barrel has tightened their barrel bores over the past few years.... making them closer to a true .500.  I don't know, my 3 Knight's are older (newest is an Elite from 2005) and they are .502's.

Rob
Rob C

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
Great report Busta ! ;)

Did you ever slug the barrels of your Knights ? 

I've heard that MHC barrels are tighter bored then the regular Knights..and that may be why they shoot great. I also heard that maybe Knight / Green Mountain barrel has tightened their barrel bores over the past few years.... making them closer to a true .500.  I don't know, my 3 Knight's are older (newest is an Elite from 2005) and they are .502's.

Rob

rt_con,

Mine are .501", .5015", and .502", I am shooting the .5015". I think they selected the most uniform barrels from the production runs to go on the Master Hunters and these might have been the culls for one reason or another, but they are good culls. ;D OR the Master Hunters just weren't selling like they had hoped and they put these leftover barrels in the leftover Disc Elite stocks. No matter, they were one of the best deals ever.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline frogee

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
Busta, the only thing that I can say about mine that might make it a cull is the crown is a little messed up. It is very lightly beveled and not perfectly centered. It can rip the sabots when I load. I am going to try and make it right. How are the crowns on your three MHC barrels?
Art

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Busta, the only thing that I can say about mine that might make it a cull is the crown is a little messed up. It is very lightly beveled and not perfectly centered. It can rip the sabots when I load. I am going to try and make it right. How are the crowns on your three MHC barrels?
Art

frogee,

That would be my only real complaint, the crowns. I don't know what happened, but Knight changed something in their processs of finishing the crowns on these rifles. I see the newer rifles have really good crowns on them again, just like they used to previously. I have a .45 cal Disc Elite from the 2004 time period too that had a very bad crown on it. I have since recrowned it by hand and it is showing some promise. It is just roughed in right now, but shot four groups in a row under 1.7" just yesterday with magnum loads of Blackhorn 209. I will finish it off by polishing up the crown now that it want's to behave.

My MHC crown is not perfect, but I don't dare mess with it the way it is shooting. I too think that these may have been culled for the crowns not being perfectly concentric to the bores. Wish I had a crown reamer, they would all get new crowns.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member