Author Topic: Personal Security, Please read!  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Rummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Personal Security, Please read!
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »

All:

I don't know how much national news coverage it got, but there was a young lady abducted here in Reno.  She was found murdered yesterday.  She was taken from her friends living room when her attacker entered through an UNLOCKED DOOR.  I would urge everyone (especially women) to give a little extra thought to your personal security; make sure that you lock your doors and pay attention to what is going on around you.

I realize most of the guys on this forum already probably have a good personal security/defense plan but a friendly reminder never hurts, does it?

We may all want to take the time to talk to our loved ones about the importance of good personal security practices.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Rummer

Offline rockbilly

Re: Personal Security, Please read!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
According to a friend in law enforcement it is a good idea for everyone to keep doors locked. And it also a good idea to look outdoors before opening a door for whatever reason.   There was recently a local incident where three teen age punks had been watching an elderly couple and came to know their habits quite well.  They knew that shortly after the 10PM news, they would open the door and let their dog out to go to do it's business before going to bed.  The lady opened the door and let the dog out, she LOCKED the door and returned to the kitchen to pick up, her husband went into the bedroom and started getting ready for bed.  When the lady opened the door to let the dog in the punks also pushed in.  One of them hit her in the face, knocking her down, she screamed, her husband came back into the den area to see what the problem was.  They beat him severely and tore the house up looking for valuables.  Not finding much, and only gaining $45. for their efforts, one of the punks suggested the one with the gun kill them.  Luckily they left the house without firing a shot.

Makes little difference who or where you are, someone is probably watching and set to take advantage of you when you place yourself in a venerable position.  Just be aware of your surrounds, don't set patterns (habits) that can be use against you, and try to secure your home by using lights, bushes that have stickers (so they won't hid in them), keep your gun handy, and pray for them AFTER you have eliminated the threat.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
Agreed. Matt kinda makes fun of us cuz our doors stay locked 24/7 but home invasions are really quite common in our county altho mostly in cities not out in the country where we live. Still it is happening in our county so the threat is real.

I keep a handgun within arm's reach of me pretty much 24/7 as well. No matter what room of the house I'm in all I have to do from my usualy position in that room I can reach out and put my hand on a loaded and ready handgun. I have other loaded back up long guns (shotgun and rifles) just as readily available should they be needed.

Too many take their personal security too lightly. When walking from vehicle to store and back I stay always alert to my surroundings and look for possible places someone could be lurking in wait. I also stayed armed at such times and most times actually have a handgun in hand as I walk with my hand hidden in a vest pocket holding a firearm ready to be deployed should the need arrise. I'd hate to take the life of another but would hate even more for them to take mine or my family's lives. If the choice is them or us who is gonna be harmed it's not gonna be us.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
There are some very sick individuals that live in this world today! Like those punks that beat the elderly couple, I hope that they get caught and have the book thrown at them! Don't get too comfortable with your personal security practices and procedures or you will  become lax with them. For instance locking doors, because it only takes one time that you leave and will be right back and leave the door unlocked for someone to break into your house. We don't let ourselves become lax with firearms safety and the same should go with our personal safety, our lives are at stake with BOTH!

Stay safe!

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:21:42 AM »
Bill, that means there's loaded guns in the room you are NOT in. This would be a bad thing if someone somehow got in there without you noticing.

Best place for a loaded gun is in a shoulder holster, and on your body, IMO.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:39:09 AM »
Bill, that means there's loaded guns in the room you are NOT in. This would be a bad thing if someone somehow got in there without you noticing.

Best place for a loaded gun is in a shoulder holster, and on your body, IMO.

Yes that would be the case BUT in no case are the guns readily available or visible to others. Unless you KNOW where they are you'd have one heck of a time locating them. The noise made would be far too much to escape my notice and I'd be able to take them out long before they found a loaded gun to use on me. The lay out of my house is such that getting in without me being aware would be pretty impossible and it would take them far longer to find a loaded gun if they didn't bring it with them than it would take me to react and take them out.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
No system is fool proof and only no system is bound to fail.
I have gotten in the habit of trying to be more aware of my surroundings.
Just now I am about to relocate a hide gun to a spot in the bedroom more accessible. I have been wringing this out for days now---I have grandchildren at an age where they explore.
I even have started carrying more in areas of this small burg which I previously felt pretty comfortable in.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
Young children are NOT a problem at my house. I don't have to plan my safety around them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:20:27 AM »
I have heard, and cannot question the validity of the statement, that if it takes you longer than 2 seconds to access your gun, it's likely to be too late. Few persons have seen the inside of my house, much less are likely to wander around and find a gun. I sometimes keep a few out it strategic places when we are at home, in addition to the one I have on me. We have a five foot chainlink fence around our large yard that stays locked 24/7. We have dogs inside the house and in the yard. They make a lot of noise if anyone comes even close to the fence. We have cameras to let us see who's at the gate without even opening a door. When we leave the home, all guns are in the safe, other than the ones we have on our person or in the car, to prevent having an intruder enter the house while we are gone, and be waiting in ambush when we return. When I actually write all this down, it sounds like I'm a bit paranoid. Maybe I am, but I don't like surprises. No matter what your level of preparedness, don't let your guard down. Stay aware!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:37:03 AM »
I live out in the country and refuse to be locked up in my own home.  Yes the front door stays locked but the only time it is used is by strangers.  The rest stay unlocked but are in a position where an intruder would have to brave 6 dogs 80 to 140# just to approach.  We invested in an alarm system with multiple motion sensors that  allow the alarm to emit a different tone for each which automatically lets you know where on your perimeter there is movement.  If we're in the house we know someone is there long before they approach the house.  This was under $200 and has proven quite dependable. 

Nothing beats situational awareness though and yes there are firearms within reach at all times.  I wouldn't even walk to the mailbox or mow the grass without being armed anymore.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »
you would only be "LOCKED UP" if the doors could only be opened from the out side !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 04:11:57 AM »
I also have loaded guns at several different locations in my house, and usually always carry a concealed weapon when going out.  What scares the heck out of me is the thought of coming home and finding a door open, or someone in my house.  I know they have likely found at least one of the guns, and now I am facing someone armed with my gun in my house.  I think (?) I live in a fairly safe community, but if I came home and found something amiss I wouldn't go in until the SWAT team had cleared the house.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:42:38 AM »
the FBI has statics for many things one i saw was from front door to master bed room 45 sec avg . you hear the front door open and have to react , not much time ! in a parking lot etc. if your gun is not in hand in most cases its over !
Being separated from your weapon is bad form ! so a loose gun in a vehicle or other place can get away from ya best it be on your person .
people who attack are predators they look for weakness and advantage if you think you can play catch up and win i wish you luck .  If you are dealing with a criminal with experience you will be lucky to survive as they wait for you to screw up !
A locked door won't stop them but the noise they make kicking it in may buy enough time to react !
GB i live in an area similar to yours I guess KEEP UM LOCKED I do ! 5 times people have tried to get in my house WHILE I WAS HOME !
a 1911 and a 870 were home at the time ! made for very short attempts !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:44:18 AM »
OH yea ! one got to bed room door on second floor ! less than 45 sec. but i was awake already and 1911 was real close !

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 05:50:37 AM »
5 times people have tried to get in my house WHILE I WAS HOME !

If this was my situation, I'd take a couple steps back and make a strong appraisal of just what it is that makes my place look like such easy pickins or move to a better neighborhood.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »
well the first time was an apartment , we moved ! the 2nd. 3rd. and 4th. were at our first house the area went down due to drug traffic . It all happened in about a year and a half and we moved the last time was after we moved in to a new home 10 years ago and involved a drug addict / peeking tom in general slug of a person ! lets say the issue is closed !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:24 AM »
Most of the time it is the neighborhood you live in that motivates burglars and such to come out of their neighborhood.
It is the location of your house that invites attention. A corner house near or on a fairly busy residential street is inviting.
It does not require a large or substantial home--a moderate or slightly above moderate neighborhood, well kept yards and signs of middle income owners.
We have experienced a burglar, a number of years ago, in our home and had to make some significant changes too our thinking to prevent--or, attempt too prevent--another break in.
The same situation is common to forced break ins or home invasions.
these folks don't want to be trapped and want quick escape available.
Surveillance by neighbors is insignificant to these folks as most neighbors don't pay close attention to the comings and going of their neighbors or their visitors.
Homes in rural areas are very high target for invasion, where they might have the opportunity too stay awhile and get a lot of stuff.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD