Author Topic: Need help with scope  (Read 354 times)

Offline lnewby

• Trade Count: (2)
Need help with scope
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:23:35 AM »
I just purchased a 22 Hornet handi from a coworker. The serial number begins with NH so I believe it was manufactured in 1993. Its in excellent shape and came with dies,brass and bullets. This is my first handi and I bought this because of all the information available on this forum.  I was so intrigued that I just had to have one. My experience has been with bolt gun and I have always mounted scopes as low as possible. Looking at all the pics, I see many of you use 50mm objective scopes with high magnification (6x18 or 6x24) and I bet they work great. But for some reason I see this gun with a smaller scope mounted so that it just clears the hammer. Anybody have any suggestions or opinions about what will work for me. It has a weaver base on it right know and that looks like that mounts the scope to far forward.  Are there any 2x7 or 3x9 scopes that can be mounted using low rings?

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: Need help with scope
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:02 AM »
Welcome
While most of my scopes are fixed power I like the Swift 1x4x20. It has plenty of power for a hornet and looks go on a small rifle like a Handi  IMHO

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:44:48 AM »
Where on the barrel is the scope base mounted?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline lnewby

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:23:06 AM »
The weaver #82 base is mounted using the factory tapped holes and screws. It has a 4" ring spacing and a 1" flat at the rear of the base which mount the rear ring to far forward
for ideal scope placement. In FAQ'S and Help, quickdtoo explained how to alter this base but I  think I will order a H&R standard rail that will work better for me. Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »
Welcome to gbo lnewby! ;) For the scope, you want one with a small power ring and/or ocular bell so it doesn't interfere with the hammer, it all depends on where the scope needs to be mounted for proper eye relief and FOV. A Leupold VX1 or VXII 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 work well, so does the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, either can likely be mounted in medium rings without modifiying the hammer, but with a little judicious dremel work, just about any scope can be mounted in medium or even low rings, see the low profile hammer mods in the FAQs.

Tim

The upper pic is the 2-7x Leupold in medium Burris Sig Zees, bottom is a Nkon Prostaff 3-9x in medium Warne QD(I think!!) rings with just the portion of the hammer above the extension removed.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lnewby

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:23:02 AM »
 Thanks for input, that's exactly what I was looking for. I feel a scope needs to be functional, but it also has to look good on the gun,and that scope looks good on that gun! My hornet was manufactured in 1993 ,would it be possible to have additional barrels fitted to this frame, or is it to old? Thanks for the pics.                              lnewby

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »
They'll fit low pressure barrels to it, those not marked with a * on the accessory barrel list.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain