Author Topic: Should I buy this Handi rifle?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline TargetTerror

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I buy this Handi rifle?
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »
My local gunshop has a used Handi rifle, with the barrels, for $300. Barrels are 22 hornet, 30-30, and 45-70. Is this a good price for this setup, if its in good condition?

Also, for the 45-70, what pressure level can the Handi rifle handle? The serial number starts with "NF," which I understand means its an older (and presumably less strong) action.  I trust ruger #1 levels are out, but is it OK to shoot Marlin/lever gun pressure loads? 

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Should I buy this Handi rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
Hecks yeah .thats a good buy.  I shoot lower marlin lever loads in my 45/70 barrel . But you can go a bit higher. Sounds like a good buy
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
Welcome aboard! Yes, that sounds like a pretty good buy, specially for those chamberings, maybe the top 3 most popular!! I'd put each barrel on without the forend and make sure the barrel locks up good with no looseness, it was made in 1991, so it may have a lot of miles on it, or just been a closet queen!! If the barrels were factory fitted, the last 3 digits of the frame serial number will be engraved on the left side of the barrel underlug.

You can shoot levergun loads in it if you want, but most folks don't like the recoil, so they stay in trapdoor loads, or low levergun loads, it also depends on who's data you're looking at, Hodgdon and Hornady put their trapdoor loads in Lyman and Speer levergun levels, but Garrett and Buffalo Bore don't distinguish between old or new Handirifles, so shoot what you can stand.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
So did you but it yet????
If not what is taking you so long ;) ;D
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »
So did you but it yet????
If not what is taking you so long ;) ;D

Yeah, but since it's Sunday, we expect you to be at the shop when it opens Monday morning..! And report back to us afterward.  ;)
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline TargetTerror

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »
Sounds like it may be a good buy  ;D  I haven't actually seen the rifle yet - just what was posted in the used section at my gun shop.  So I don't know what condition it is in.

How are the triggers on Handi rifles?  Can they be adjusted or smoothed out?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
Read thru the FAQs and Help sticky, trigger info is in there. Older frames usually had heavy triggers unless they'd been worked on, but if you're the DIY type, you can make a nice trigger out of it, or have H&R do a free one when you send it in for more barrels, like maybe a nice 357mag, one of the other real popular choices!!  ;)

Tim

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »
check out the classifieds section here...those 3 barrels are almost $100 each when you include shipping costs.  ;)
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:30:45 AM »
Don't waste any time!!! Buy that combo. I don't have the $300 right now, but I would definitely try to find it somewhere for that!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TargetTerror

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »
So I just went to look at the combo during lunch.  It looks like a steal!  The buttstock has a raised cheekpice and a decent recoil pad.  The hammer is the shorter variety.  Trigger is ok, probably around 5 lbs or so.  Not the best trigger I've tried, but not the worst.  All the barrels looked nice and shiny, and lock up on 2 of them was solid (I didn't try the thrid).  Each of the barrels also has a weaver base installed!  I had them hold it aside, and I'm going to do the paperwork tomorrow. 

I did have one concern which was that I didn't see any of the markings on the barrel indicating that NEF did the conversions.  Where would this info be?  could it just be under the scope bases?  How crucial is it that the NEF did the fittings, and is there any way to tell if the fitting is bad/dangerous?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
I posted what you need to check for factory fitted barrels.  ;) The underlug is the part of the barrel the ejector is housed in.

Tim

Welcome aboard! Yes, that sounds like a pretty good buy, specially for those chamberings, maybe the top 3 most popular!! I'd put each barrel on without the forend and make sure the barrel locks up good with no looseness, it was made in 1991, so it may have a lot of miles on it, or just been a closet queen!! If the barrels were factory fitted, the last 3 digits of the frame serial number will be engraved on the left side of the barrel underlug.

You can shoot levergun loads in it if you want, but most folks don't like the recoil, so they stay in trapdoor loads, or low levergun loads, it also depends on who's data you're looking at, Hodgdon and Hornady put their trapdoor loads in Lyman and Speer levergun levels, but Garrett and Buffalo Bore don't distinguish between old or new Handirifles, so shoot what you can stand.

Tim

Offline Icy Straits

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »
This is probably not a real good place to get a unbiased opinion on buying a Handi. The only answers you are gonna get are yes, heck yes and you betcha.

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »
Get on back to that shop and spend the money.  It will be a winning deal for you.  If you do not like it after you get it ...... contact anyone here and I will bet most of us would gladly take that combo off your hands and even give you an extra $25 for your trouble!

I know I would in a heartbeat!
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline TargetTerror

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 03:06:12 AM »
I have officially joined the NEF club.   ;D  I picked up the rifle and barrels yesterday.  I checked the barrels again, and there was  "P" and a "T (or F, hard to read)" stamped on either side of the locking lug.

I ordered a Simmons ProHunter 10-12x40 scope for it last night, b/c Natchez has them on special now.  I think it should be fine for the Hornet and 30-30.  Anyone know how it would like the 45-70?  Also, what height scope rings would be appropriate?  I'm thinking a medium or high ring, but probably not extra high?

I'm toying with the idea of putting a separate scope on the 45-70.  My reason is primarily that I'm concerned about the Simmons getting banged up from the recoil and leaving me with no scope while it's being repaired.  But, I also don't want to drop several hundred dollars just on a scope for the 45-70.  Are there any strong, decent scopes under $100 that will handle the recoil fo the 45-70?  I'd be willing to do a fixed power if it would be more robust.  My primary concern for the the 45-70's scope is that it can handle the recoil and will have minimal zero creep.  Things like finish, optical distortion, slight fuzziness, flaring, etc I can all live with being sub par.  I was thinking that any of the shotgun scopes in that range should be sufficient, since they can (or should) handle the recoil of a shotgun?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »
I have officially joined the NEF club.   ;D  I picked up the rifle and barrels yesterday.  I checked the barrels again, and there was  "P" and a "T (or F, hard to read)" stamped on either side of the locking lug.

I ordered a Simmons ProHunter 10-12x40 scope for it last night, b/c Natchez has them on special now.  I think it should be fine for the Hornet and 30-30.  Anyone know how it would like the 45-70?  Also, what height scope rings would be appropriate?  I'm thinking a medium or high ring, but probably not extra high?

I'm toying with the idea of putting a separate scope on the 45-70.  My reason is primarily that I'm concerned about the Simmons getting banged up from the recoil and leaving me with no scope while it's being repaired.  But, I also don't want to drop several hundred dollars just on a scope for the 45-70.  Are there any strong, decent scopes under $100 that will handle the recoil fo the 45-70?  I'd be willing to do a fixed power if it would be more robust.  My primary concern for the the 45-70's scope is that it can handle the recoil and will have minimal zero creep.  Things like finish, optical distortion, slight fuzziness, flaring, etc I can all live with being sub par.  I was thinking that any of the shotgun scopes in that range should be sufficient, since they can (or should) handle the recoil of a shotgun.

The barrels usually are hand engraved with a three digit number on the side of the barrel underlug with those three digits matching the last three digits of the serial number of the receiver.

I don't have one yet, but the rugged  Bushnell Banner scope in 1.5-4.5x32mm seems to be a scope that is highly thought of here in the NEF/H&R forums. Some of the GBO advertizers like  Midsouth Shooters Supply stock them at fair prices. I have mainly Weaver V3's and Leupold VariX III's in low power 20mm variables on my handi's/toppers but my next purchase when I scrape up the cash will be the Bushnell Banner.

I have used high rings on all my scope mounting and they clear the hammer and hammer spur just fine. Some others here might know if mediums will work on some scopes.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 04:48:39 AM »
ICY I beg to differ with ya this is the best place to ask the questions he asked there is no place on the Internet that has more knowledge of Nef/H&R price and expectations than right here. Hell from what I have learned here other than specifics as to individual ser# info this place will tell you more of these guns than the factory knows. Stick around read some more you'll learn some thing. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
I have officially joined the NEF club.   ;D  I picked up the rifle and barrels yesterday.  I checked the barrels again, and there was  "P" and a "T (or F, hard to read)" stamped on either side of the locking lug.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a separate scope on the 45-70.  My reason is primarily that I'm concerned about the Simmons getting banged up from the recoil and leaving me with no scope while it's being repaired.  But, I also don't want to drop several hundred dollars just on a scope for the 45-70.  Are there any strong, decent scopes under $100 that will handle the recoil fo the 45-70?  I'd be willing to do a fixed power if it would be more robust.  My primary concern for the the 45-70's scope is that it can handle the recoil and will have minimal zero creep.  Things like finish, optical distortion, slight fuzziness, flaring, etc I can all live with being sub par.  I was thinking that any of the shotgun scopes in that range should be sufficient, since they can (or should) handle the recoil of a shotgun?

One scope for all three isn't a very good idea, each barrel deserves its own scope, see the 45-70 Scope link in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 05:05:30 AM »
TargetTerror the Mueller 4-12x40APV is probrably the very best bang for your buck at$115 it includes the sunshade and free shipping from eabco I searched and could not find a better deal even from Mueller also Mueller is a site sponsor. That scope should be perfect for your 22Hornet. I just ordered a Silver one for $124 shipped with sunshade. If you use Simmons rings I use the high ones#49172 but you say the hammer is shorter may have been modified and you could get away with medium rings. Also what do you mean by raised cheek is it add on or are you referring to a Monte Carlo style butt stock? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 05:23:31 AM »
I'm just going to jump in here and agree with Tim. What ever your choice of scopes(and trust me we don't all agree) each barrel should have it's own. I've tried the QR rings, which are almost as expensive as buying another scope, and it still leaves a lot to be desired. You might also consider a nice Peep and fire sight for the 45-70 that's what mine has and I believe so do many of the guys here. JMHO - Fanner 50

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/45-70fullmann2.jpg

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 07:21:45 AM »
I have officially joined the NEF club.   ;D  I picked up the rifle and barrels yesterday.  I checked the barrels again, and there was  "P" and a "T (or F, hard to read)" stamped on either side of the locking lug

FYI: here's what the factory fitted barrels have on the barrel lug - the last three digits of the serial number. Sometimes they are kinda scribbly and hard to read. This one is pretty legible.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:27:02 AM »
Congratulations Kerry, that's a great and informative picture, it seems you are becoming quite a photographer as well as developing your computer expertise to be able to block out the serial number as nicely as you did and to include a note about it also. If I could have taken a picture and posted it I would have most likely just put a piece of tape over the front of the number. You guys on this site are just getting to be too good with modern technology!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley