Author Topic: NEF repair service SUCKS!!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
NEF repair service SUCKS!!
« on: February 18, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
About a month ago I screwed up and blew the head apart on a case while trying to find
max on a custom cartridge. Very very touchy in these tiny cases. Fine at 10.0gr,  blew up
@ 10.2gr. No warning at all, no sign's of anything. Next one was too late.
Blew the trigger guard apart, couple small cuts to my finger. Broke the extractor.

Sent it in for repairs and didn't tell 'em what I'd done of course, but, I'm sure they could tell as there's brass smear on the barrel breach. This right now is the first public confession. While back there, ordered three barrels fit to it too.
.223, .45 Colt, and .357 Mag.  Got the box full Monday about 4:30 Colo time, too late to contact them.

Wasn't any scope rail on the .223 even though the order sheet is checked there is.
No screws in the hole's even.  Looks like they skipped one stop on the way to shipping.

Put the stock on and .223 barrel and took them to the shop to test fire three rounds.
Couldn't close the action several tries. Couldn't see what was holding it.  Held it muzzle up
for some reason while looking to see what was stopping it.  Then it closed.

Hmmm, ok, fired and wouldn't go off, snapped it twice, no marks on the primer. Put another round in. Same thing. Squeezed the trigger and held it back while open and no
firing pin.  Sure looks like my accident broke the tip off the pin. I wasn't aware of that til this happened.  Amazing repair people that worked on it didn't catch it.

Why didn't repair guys check it out?? Thought they'd test fire these new barrels, at least
for function.  IF they had, they'd found the broken firing pin.

OF course it was too late to contact anyone back there.  Sent Jennifer an e'mail explaining
it all asking if they'd send me the pin and scope rail so I could replace them, or have my gunsmith do it. Rather than lose another month waiting on them.

Love the barrels, they're all three real "boomers", esp the 45 Colt.  Am looking fwd to shooting them all a bunch before long.

I'm sure disappointed with the service this time.  Has any one else had this kind of thing happen??  Tim??

Thanks for letting me vent. Shall wait and see what Jennifer has to say.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: NEF repair service stinks!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »
Sounds like a case of tring to sneak one by them, which is what i and others would
have done. The problem is it didn't work out, now you have more problems,
the old saying goes 'if you gona dance you gota pay the fiddler"
I am not on your case, i have been their done that, now i find it kinda humours to see others do the same with like results.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline AKbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF repair service
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »
georgeld,
How much did they charge to fix it?
Let me get this right,you over loaded your rifle, blew it up.  H&R fixed it in a month with shipping and you are complaining.  H&R policy is not to warranty reloads, isn't it?  Even you didn't tell them to replace the firing pin, I wouldn't complain.  I would give them a pat on the back and send a nice email about the scope rail.

Please don't feel offended, I didn't intend to.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: NEF repair service SUCKS!!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »
Hit and miss ,some do some don't ,some have some haven't. Boards running 2-1 in Customer service favor today. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 02:00:55 AM »
I have never had to send mine back for repair, but it sounds like they did their part honestly.  Maybe they should have caught the firing pin issue, but they did send it to you.  You kind of blew it up with the reloads.  #$#$ Happens, eveyrone does that.  I would have to side with NEF on this one. 
TJM

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:36:27 AM »

Did it ever occur to you...that maybe they did indeed test fire it after repairing your screw up...and on the last shot..the firing pin became damaged without them knowing about it? I mean really...why the hell do you think you have a right to bash the C/S folks at NEF over this ...since by your own admission you pushed it until you had a case rupture with reloads and you weren't honest enough to tell them...Sure...you ordered more barrels...BFD...but...for your own safety sake...or any one else's if you ever sell your rifle down the road to..you should have told them...so they could have inspected it properly...While these rifles are a lot stronger than many will give them credit for..they still are a break action rifle...not a bolt...Being upset over your screw up and wanting to blame NEF is stupid & childish...and you should be ashamed of your self for doing so...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline stalker1

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
First of all, how could you expect a complete and thorough job from someone without providing them with all the facts? Second,you automatically assume that because there are brass smears on the barrel breach face that they are going to know exactly how they got there? I don't think so! Third, how could you trust your future safety with the gun, if it HAD functioned, knowing that they were only given limited information with which to fix it?   jm2c

I definitely defend H&R.

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
So this is the rifle that you had chambered to that .17 x28mm you talked about on 10/17/07,

that blew up on 1/23/08:  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,131087.msg1098523603.html#msg1098523603
"Just last week blew a break top open after the 4th loading of the same case I was testing to see how it looked after five and ten reloads one after another. fourth one broke the thinned down extractor on a NEF for a customized case made on the 5.7.

10.2 gr H110, to the bottom of the shoulder." 

--------------------------------
On 1/24/08, you posted here: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,134472.msg1098524376.html#msg1098524376

"Got a call from what sounded like Ahab himself yesterday.  I mailed the action in for repairs. Trigger guard broke and some piece's got inside, think it knocked a spring lose ,or off a pin maybe.

Anyway, rather than messing with it, and wanting another barrel and trigger job.  Mailed it in.  Called and said it was ready for $24.50. Hard to understand what the guy was saying.  something about a barrel, but ,hadn't given it any thought in two weeks and caught me offguard with other things in mind."
--------------------------------

Then on 1/25/08, you posted in http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,136185.msg1098525071.html#msg1098525071:

"I broke a t/g the other day and the action is at NEFs right now.

Colder n hell around here and bumped it too hard and shattered.  part of it hit something inside and the trigger lost all contact, just swung loose in there.  Since I wanted to get a trigger job and barrel too, thought I'd just not mess with it and send it in for the whole
thing."
---------------------------------

And now you post here to rag on H&R/NEF CS.   ::)

I want to know:  Did you send in two actions, or just the one that you blew up (but then blamed the trigger guard on breaking due to the cold weather"?   :-\   What story did you tell them to explain the broken trigger guard at the time?    ???  You blew up the action but didn't mention it when the guy called because 'you had other things on your mind'?  Are there any other stories that you may have contradicted yourself on that you want to tell us about?   ::) 
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Yep, you guys got it right and I've apologized to them already.

parts total around $40, $24.50, plus what they're sending now.

Should have explained what happened I agree. Did include the pieces of the trigger guard
and a couple piece's of brass. That should have been self explanatory. but, I didn't pull my end either.

BUT, they should have caught the firing pin when testing it. I wasn't aware of it until trying to close the action on the new barrel.

No I don't believe it was test fired at all.  The barrels have been now on other actions.
Will run it by the gunsmith and have him put the firing pin in so it can be inspected rather than take a chance of halfassing things further.
Thanks for opening my eye's a bit.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:40:48 AM »
I love it when a man sees the error of his ways, and says he will do better ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »

BUT, they should have caught the firing pin when testing it. I wasn't aware of it until trying to close the action on the new barrel.

I'll say it again...

Did it ever occur to you...that maybe they did indeed test fire it after repairing your screw up...and on the last shot..the firing pin became damaged without them knowing about it?

Your still wanting to blame NEF for you mistake...and that doesn't wash...

Looks like you got caught here pretty well...So...Have a Nice day...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Gunsmith 01

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »
It is my understanding that all barrel fits are proof tested on the action that is supplied by the customer. I guess all you need to do is look for the proof stamp. I side with MAc on this one, somehow I bet the firing just happened to break after test firing was done.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
I'm sure glad I read this thread.First I learned that  NEF service is prompt.Second,I learned to tell the truth,the whole truth and nothing but.Fortunatly I've only needed a repair once.That was an expensive(back then)way to learn not to dry fire some guns.Hope I don't need to remember this but I will.

Offline chrsm

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
so you maxed out your load. no problem you still have your fingers, hand, arm..................!speaking from experience the firing pin will work broken and some times people don't realize its broke till the peace falls out the front! its a easy fix. I am shore you can do it. just order the right pin, theres I think two different kinds last time i checked. don't worry theres not that many parts in these handis. just search and you will find the how to!

Offline AKbuilder

NEF repair service
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »
georgeld,

OK, I got it now.  You did pay them to fix your rifle.  Yes, they may not have caught the firing pin.  I would say it is possible to fire a Handi with some type of broken firing pin.  Then have it not fire next time, so I can see both sides.

We should all carefully inspect any firearm returned from repair, a repair by anyone.  Thanks for helping us learn that lesson.

Thanks,
Paul