Author Topic: Breaking in a smoothbore  (Read 723 times)

Offline Kojak

• Trade Count: (0)
Breaking in a smoothbore
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:45:20 AM »
Hey fellas, while im not exactly new to shooting and cleaning scatterguns i am new to mwning a brand new one. Do you have to do the shoot-clean-shoot-clean breal in period on a smoothbore shotgun as you would on a rifle? If you would, would the procedure differ in technique or material? Mine have always had mileage when i got them so this wasnt an issue. Thanks in advance because tonight a buddy and i will be patterning my new tdc and his new 11-87 our boss got him for CHRISTmas.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Breaking in a smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »
If you are talking about a smooth bore, no break in is necessary.  The break in process used for rifled barrels is intended to smooth out rough spots and remove any burs created during the rifling process.   However, if you find that you have some large holes in your shot patterns you may want to try burnishing the barrel with 000 steel wool.  I think there is a sticky on this in the Q&A thread.   I've burnished a couple of my shotgun barrels (a .410 and a 20ga.) and it made a big difference in the uniformity of the pattern. 

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Kojak

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
Thanks thats what i figured. Good tip on the burnishing.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »
No break in is necessary with a rifle either.  I've got a few million rounds down range and I've never "broke in" a rifle yet.  The stuff people dream up....sheesh!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:12:27 AM »
Yep, Swamp -- gotta agree with you. I've owned a few rifles in my time, and none of them, even the most accurate, ever went through that "shoot/clean/shoot" break-in thing that some people think is required. All were/are plain old factory guns, no custom barrels. If you clean thoroughly but very carefully after shooting (from the breech end!!), a rifle that was made properly will shoot well. If the barrel is not straight or has a bad muzzle crown, no amount of break-in will fix it. Lots of other factors affect accuracy beside the smoothness of the rifling, too. Glad too hear some practical good sense here. We shoot and appreciate these little inexpensive rifles and shotguns because we are common-sense sportsmen!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Amen!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~