Author Topic: 1 in 28 twist  (Read 2959 times)

Offline 7bru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
1 in 28 twist
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
1 in 28 twist rate in an encore prohunter was made to sabots.  but what range of full.50 diameter lead bullets are for this twist rate.  I have a prohunter that i bought used and it don't shoot real good with sabots and was wondering what weight lead bullets would be ideal with this twist.

I may have a bad scope.  I don't know for sure as of yet.   

thanks
BRU

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1 in 28 twist
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Most inlines made today have a 1-28 twist...Any weight from 240-300grs should shoot well...

With Pyrodex or 777 try from 90-120grs...

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
Most inlines made today have a 1-28 twist...Any weight from 240-300grs should shoot well...

With Pyrodex or 777 try from 90-120grs...

That is of loose power. You can use 3 T7 pellets and it is the same as 120 grains of loose T7 and it is the same as 150 grains of black power. What size groups are you shooting? What ranges? What type of scope? Have you checked your mounts? What about lapping your rings? All can be problems and it might not be the loads.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
1 in 28 twist rate in an encore prohunter was made to sabots.  but what range of full.50 diameter lead bullets are for this twist rate.  I have a prohunter that i bought used and it don't shoot real good with sabots and was wondering what weight lead bullets would be ideal with this twist.

I may have a bad scope.  I don't know for sure as of yet.   

thanks
BRU

If it dont shoot sabots that great, i think you'll really be unhappy when you load a conical.

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:13:38 AM »
yes i understand the difference about loose and pellets.  the mounts are fine and the scope is a brand new Nikon omega with bdc.   next time i go out i am going to put a trusted Burris on.

now what about the false muzzle.  how could you tell if it is screwy.  i have heard of people having them removed.

back to my question what weight conical is the right weight for this twist?

thanks for the replies

BRU

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »
A 1-28 twist in a .50, isn't the optimum twist for conicals...They were made for saboted bullets...

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:31 AM »
thats what i always thought.  and i was told i was crazy by a few on another forum.

BRU

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »
A 1-28 twist in a .50, isn't the optimum twist for conicals...They were made for saboted bullets...

Tell that to the owner of a White  ;)

1:28 does great with conicals when the QLA is properly done. I havent owned many inlines, but the one's i had all shot conicals perfectly.

As for conical weight, i really like the 385 or 410 hornady great plains conicals with 80 to 90 grains pyrodex.

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:05 AM »
thanks 455 just what i needed to hear. hornady great plains.  i am on it.

BRU

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:28:27 AM »
What size groups is it producing before you go and change it? It most likely won't shoot conicals worth a darn due to the QLA. Encore's were not made for them.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline toytruck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Tell that to the owner of a White  ;)

1:28 does great with conicals when the QLA is properly done. I havent owned many inlines, but the one's i had all shot conicals perfectly.

As for conical weight, i really like the 385 or 410 hornady great plains conicals with 80 to 90 grains pyrodex.

FYI, the twist in a White .504 is 1:24  and .451 is 1:20  I own one of each!! ;)
Whites & TC Renegade

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »

I have a couple 1:28" .50 cal guns (NEF Huntsman & Knight MK-85) that would totally disagree with that statement. 460 grain No Excuses or 460 grain Bullshop pure lead conicals sitting on 80 grains 777 FFFg and fiber gasket wad have shot under an inch w/scope, 1.5" to 2" with a peep. My White .504 cal 1:24" will shoot 460 and 495 grainers lights out. The .451 White uses a 1:20" twist, 460-495 grainers for that caliber and twist too.

As mentioned before, the QLA is usually the biggest problem getting conicals to shoot out of T/C's, not all are concentric to the bore. The only way to know for sure is get some and shoot 'em. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and money on Maxi-Balls/Hunters, Great Plains, Buffalo Bullets. Get the No Excuses or Bullshop's.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 05:41:12 AM »
I totally agree with the 1 in 28 being a good twist for conicals. The only QLA guns I've heard of that have issues with conicals are the TC's, there may be others but I'm not aware of them. 3 out of 3 of the QLA guns that I have shoot conicals just fine as well as a friends 3 Knights, all with 1 in 28 twists. The 460's seem to be the cat's meow in all of those rifles. Today I'm planning on trying them out in my "new to me" White Ultramag .504 if I can get to the range, it snowed some last night. Just get some different ones and try them out with powder loads between 70 and 100 grains and you may find something it likes. Good luck.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 05:46:47 AM »
My 209x50 will easily group 1-1/2" with sabots but the best I have ever done with conicals is 5".
Very interested to hear your results as I would like to shoot conicals rather than sabots.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »
boy oh boy is this a confusing topic. some say this some say that.   I am going to the range ASAP to find out the truth.  I have 3 different powders. 15 or 20 different bullets 2 scopes a pile of 209's  and all i need is some time.

thanks for the help. i will post my findings after i get a chance to shoot which looks like it will be sometime before the pres. election. 

BRU

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
I am going to the range ASAP to find out the truth.

Whatever truth you discover will apply only to your rifle.  ;)
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline flintlock

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
I am going to the range ASAP to find out the truth.

Whatever truth you discover will apply only to your rifle.  ;)

Bingo!!! I can only pass on what I have learned in over 30 years of hunting and shooting muzzleloaders...

Just like hand loading, you can have 2 identical rifles and have totally different results...

I would suggest swabbing the barrel between shots with 2 damp patches with rubbing alcohol on them, then a dry patch...
And try to seat each bullet with the same amount of pressure...

Start with one proven powder, like Pyrodex and one projectile...If I were to start with an Encore like you have, I'd go with a 250 Shockwave and 90-110grs of powder...

These things can show you a thing or two...I've seen something as small as changing sabots make a 2 inch difference in accuracy at 100 yards...

btw...Why do you specifically want to shoot a conical???

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »
no reason at all.  they make conicals.  they make sabots.  I got about a 100o lbs of lead i could cast into conicals and shoot for a lot less.  too bad they don't make an encore with a slower twist.  but some say u can't over stabilize a bullet only under.

BRU

Offline sabotloader

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
7bru

Listen to Busta and dmurph... I have several different 1/28 twist barrels and one White with a 1/24 - they all shoot the 460 No Excuse or the 460 MT Nex Bullshop's with excellent accuracy.  I have also shot the 400 grain Bullshop from them - they shoot excellent also.

I use 90 grains of T7-3f, and a .125x.510 shot card to protect the bottom of the bullet.  It is amazing how well they shoot.

As BigBlock indicated some TC's with a QLA (false muzzle - EZ load muzzle) did not shot a conical very well - but that is not to say that all QLA's are bad.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
I agree i don't knock anything until i try it for myself.  I just want a good trajectory that is decent accurate and hard hitting.

i did not have good results with powerbelts.  they load easy and shoot fair but they are pretty soft.  I like to shoot from 90- 100 grains of loose powder.  never have like the pellets. 

BRU

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
so why doesn't anyone shoot 250 or 300 gr conicals with 100 gr (max/magnum) charges in a 1/28 twist?

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
so why doesn't anyone shoot 250 or 300 gr conicals with 100 gr (max/magnum) charges in a 1/28 twist?

Fastest twist muzzleloader i own has a 1:32 twist and shoots 295 grain HP powerbelts excellent with 80 grains pyrodex select.  Any more powder than that, opens up the groups. Plus the PB's perform best with that charge on game.

Doesnt take massive amounts of powder to kill game or get accuracy/

Offline sabotloader

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »
Blammer

I think they will shoot just fine from a 1/28 but the problem lies in the very pure lead bullet...

This is from my perspective only... light pure lead bullets tend to fragment when driven to fast, especially if you were to hit a major bone... but goodness knows a light conical can certainly killl - People shooting PRB's have proved that for years.  You just have to be happy with the trajectory and the lower velocity.  Because of that I prefer the heavier conical which does also add penetration to the shot.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
why lower velocity with a lighter projectile?

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
why shoot a conical that weights 250 grains when u can get the same with a shockwave. didn't get a chance to shoot any farther than 80 yards because of some 15 mph winds but i think i fixed the problem i am having.   it wasn't the twist. and not the powder. it wasn't the QLA.  but if u get a chance u might want to try those blue patches that T/C has called T 17.   4 shots in this picture.  why shoot anything else.  load easy to.

shot pretty fair with american pioneer pellets but i think i will stick with T7.  did get to shoot some maxihunters cast by a friend but don't know what exactly the alloy was they shoot a great group but were pretty hard to get down the barrel.  thanks BRU

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
why shoot a conical that weights 250 grains when u can get the same with a shockwave. didn't get a chance to shoot any farther than 80 yards because of some 15 mph winds but i think i fixed the problem i am having.   it wasn't the twist. and not the powder. it wasn't the QLA.  but if u get a chance u might want to try those blue patches that T/C has called T 17.   4 shots in this picture.  why shoot anything else.  load easy to.

shot pretty fair with american pioneer pellets but i think i will stick with T7.  did get to shoot some maxihunters cast by a friend but don't know what exactly the alloy was they shoot a great group but were pretty hard to get down the barrel.  thanks BRU

What were you using when you got such bad groups?

Rick

Offline 7bru

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »
the only thing i changed was how and what i was cleaning the barrel with.   changed to a different jag, didn't use a brush of any kind and used the t 17 patches.

now we did try to shoot a multitude of different kinds of combinations but i really think it was the cleanliness of the bore that got us ion trouble. i don't know what the stuff is on these patches but the gun sure does perform a whole lot better.

BRU

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
CRAPPY scope I bet.  LOL

Bru let me know if that's what you think, give me a ring tomorrow.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
I doubt it now that its shooting well. I doubted that after he said it was a New Nikon Omega scope also.

Rick

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »
I'll ask, but I think he changed scopes.