Author Topic: new handiholic  (Read 354 times)

Offline canoe13

• Trade Count: (1)
new handiholic
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
Hello my name is Steve and I now have to face the fact that I am a Handi-holic.  It all started a number of years back when I picked up a Tracker II in 20 ga. for deer hunting in NYS. Actually I bought 2 my brother wanted one but he did not use it so I got it back. One has a peep sight installed and one was scope mounted.  Then last year I traded away a Ruger 10/22 for a used Handi .243 with a scope for coyote shooting. NYS allowed rifles in my county so I used the .243 got 2 deer in 2 days only 2 shots. This is cool;  start looking online for more info. find this website start reading it regularly. Okay I an looking at it everyday my wife thinks I AM NUTS . But, the simple versatility and affordability of these guns is addictive. Two weeks ago  I was in Gander Mountain and there was a Handi 45-70 for only $180. I bought it  so fast and  almost got a  BC for $280. But kept myself in control. I planned on selling the barrel on the forum and pick up a 30-30 barrel instead.  Then last week I was in my local gun shop and on the used rack was a Handi in 30-30 with a scope base and syn. stock. I traded in a Rossi combo for $100 dropped down another $135 and walked out a happy man. My brother has a nice collection of expensive single-shots and he has  become interested in Handi rifle snow because of me ; he bought the my 45-70 and we can not wait to get out and have some fun with new guns. I think I might go for a stainless model in .270 next .    I am hooked.  Well, bye for now I feel better now that I admit I have a pleasant addiction       Steve

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: new handiholic
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
Welcome to GBO. You sound right at home here  8)

-Aaron

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
Welcome to GBO Steve. You sound like you WILL fit right in; to me too. I have always liked single shot rifles. I like the idea of making the one perfect shot and passing on the shot if it is not the way it should be instead of blasting away hoping something good will happen. I had a H&R 22 Hornet years ago and I had just started to get into reloading and could not get it to shoot to my satisfaction. I traded it off on a 222 Remington 788. Three years ago or so I was in a Gander Mountain and the guy behind the counter said his next gun was going to be a 17 HMR in a Handi Rifle. I asked him if it shot good, and he said it will shoot very well. It got me to thinking and I started to do research on the Internet about the H&R rifle. I found this site had the most information on it and started being a regular visitor, not member. I got an Ultra Varmint in 223 and immediately sent it in for 357 and 30-30 barrels . My excuse was they were having a barrel sale at the time, which I found out through this site. A year or more passed and I was still a regular visitor and decided I wanted to contribute as a member. Last fall I bought a 44 mag with a synthetic stock/fore end. I sent it in and got a 22 Hornet SL and 444 Marlin barrels + Laminated stock and fore ends for all of my barrels. I am not done yet, just for now. BTW; Those Ultra 45-70's look awful appealing. Once you get the bug and if you are a single shot kind of guy, it is hard to get rid of it. ;D ;D ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Steve

Welcome Aboard , your among friends here , i started with a 223 Bull Barrel to shoot groundhogs with and it was all down hill from there .  ;D  next came the 22" 45/70 and a custom 32 H&R mag barrel .

I'm now to the point that i just quit counting .   ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »
welcome aboard steve!! the addiction only gets worse after joining this site. handis are like heroin - three shots and your hooked.

ron

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »
Welcome Steve.
One sure sign of Handiholism is the sudden drooling and shakes that begin when seeing the Big Brown Truck rolling down the street after waiting a few weeks for the new barrel to arrive.

Enjoy your time here with the Handiholics @ GBO.

Bill

Offline AZHoosier

• An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
Glad to meet ya. I'm just starting on the Handi World too. I have a .243 I'm trying to get to shoot. Still working on the fine stuff. I have my eye on maybe a .357 Mag, then boring to the Max.  I have an advantage when it comes to the wife. I'm retired but have her working so I can get on GB whenever I want to. That way she doesn't know that I'm on the web all the time. Just do a little vacuuming and laundry once in a while to keep the show playing for her.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o

I just need to convince her that I "REALLY, REALLY NEED" that .357 barrel.
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.