Author Topic: I am thinking of getting a Handi 280!!!!!  (Read 635 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I am thinking of getting a Handi 280!!!!!
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
I am thinking sometime this spring or summer of getting a Handi 280. I am a little pee'ed off about no Mags from them. I was thinking of a 7MM Mag but I can forget about that. The next best thing would be the 280. It is only a couple hundred feet per second behind the 7MM Mag. I just really want a good deer rifle out to 400 yards or so. I know it has the energy to go beyond that but that is really as far as I care to shoot at White Tails. I love fast and flat and this round has that. :o ;D How have your 280'S been shooting group wise at 100 yards? What grain and type of bullet are you you using for deer? I just am getting into reloading and will be reloading for it. I just hope I get one that shoots for me!!! ::) Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: I am thinking of getting a Handi 280!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
Dale
The 280, for me, was the proverbial straw.  I swore off Handis for a year or two, I now have the 38-55 project rifle I'm working on.  Back on topic, the 280 barrel I got was fast, it spit 140gr bullets out the muzze well over 3000fps, usually over 3100, but it shot in patterns and the primer strikes were at the very edge of the primer.

This told me the barrel was so far off center, I doubt it would ever be accurate.

The 280 is a good round though, and is to the 7 mm Rem Mag, like the 30-06 is to the 300 Win Mag.  Just a tad less recoil.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
I have also taken a break from Handie's. I do miss them and will get another. Like I said the 280 is in my plans. You are right the 280 is a great round and it does compare to the 7MM Mag but the 30-06 is at least 300 feet per second behind the 300 Win. Mag. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Saloon slug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:07:06 PM »
Dale
When you get the 280 please give a full report. I have been thinking this would be great for those coyotes that like to hang up way out there.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »
Dale
When you get the 280 please give a full report. I have been thinking this would be great for those coyotes that like to hang up way out there.
When I do get it I will post a report as to how it shoots!!!!! Not that you are asking my advice but If I were looking for a rifle to reach way out there and still have enough energy to kill a yote. I would look at a 243 or a 25-06 these shoot even flatter than the 280 and would would more suit your needs. Dale

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:58:51 AM »
I've had mine for almost 2 years now and just love it. It will shoot 139gr Hornadys or 140gr Sierra equally well. I can avg. 1/2" groups at 100yds all day. Recoil is very manageable too. I reload using 59 grs of RL 22 and have tried others but the RL22 worked right off the start. With the wide range of bullets available it makes the .280 very versatile.

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:01:23 AM »
Dale
When I do get it I will post a report as to how it shoots!!!!! Not that you are asking my advice but If I were looking for a rifle to reach way out there and still have enough energy to kill a yote. I would look at a 243 or a 25-06 these shoot even flatter than the 280 and would would more suit your needs. Dale

I am looking at those also. It is a case of so many options and so many uses for each ;D
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:56:55 AM »
I bought a 280 a couple months ago as a matched pair along with a 12 ga, both with cin lam stocks and RMEF coins inlaid.  It is a 1996 model.  I haven't had it to the range yet to punch paper from a bench, but I have taken it out to the farm and shot at clay pigeons on a dirt pile at 325 yards.  After sighting it in, It will break clays every shot.  By far my most accurate handi.

In April when our snow melts and the range opens up, I will give a report along with chronographed speed.  I have several different boxes of store shelf ammo, and I will find out what works best. 

Offline AZHoosier

• An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:58:19 AM »
Remember the "HandiHolic" Creed......
When in doubt,,,,,,, buy one of each!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Right Tim?
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
Yup, doesn't matter which one you buy first, just get em all!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
Dale do a search in the NEF/H&R Centerfire forums and you will find a ton of reports on the 280. I don't remember hardly anyone that was disappointed in theirs. And if I remember correctly they like cheap Rem. Core-Lokts.

-Aaron

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
dale. glad to see you are getting back into handi-rifles, i have rifles from 223 up to the big 500, if i could have only one rifle out of all my guns it would be the 30-06, to me its just the best all around cal. great for deer, coyotes, wild hogs, beavers, in the spring i down load to a smaller bullet for ground hogs, welcome back dale.