Author Topic: Anybody have a 450 Marlin?  (Read 423 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Anybody have a 450 Marlin?
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:42:52 AM »
I bought a 450 Marlin barrel from a fellow in Canada on this board. Waiting for it to get here. I have the dies , brass, and some 458 bullets along with a variety of powders. Anyone have any experience with this cartridge? Any pet loads that I might consider, at my own risk of course. I don't think it will out perform my 45-70 but looks like a very interesting cartridge that will be fun to hunt with on occasion. I may do another long stock straight grip in Autumn camo lam on this one. Anybody use that color lam from Gunstock's? If ya have a pic ya can post or e-mail me I'd appreciate it as I would like to see that pattern/color actually on a rifle before I order it.
Thanks in advance - Fanner

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: Anybody have a 450 Marlin?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »
Do you have any other straight grip stocks?  Try shooting it with one of those first before you order one in any color.
I have 2 450's one is a 22" and one is a cut and ported 18".  Both are equally accurate and inside 200 yards they are my second most accurate handi rifles next to my 280.  I don't reload yet, I only use the 325gr leverevolution ammo in my 450.  Given the 2200+ fps that my gun shoots, I question the sanity of straight grip stocks on one of these but to each his own.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:35:39 AM »
Yes I do and with a Simms pad and 11oz merc sup it is acceptable. Here's a pic.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/45-70fullmann2.jpg

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »
There you go.  You didn't mention the pad and the mercury the first time.  That should make all the difference.

There were a few pictures of an Autumn Camo stock on the "let's see some handis" thread, but the picture attachments are now empty.

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »
It's my understanding that the "new" 450 marlin essentially is just a hot-loaded 45-70.

The reason a new case was designed, rather than just loading the 45-70 up, was because of all the older rifles that will not sufficiently support the higher pressure 45-70 loads. A different case design was implemented to keep people from loading the ammunition into older rifles that could not tolerate it.

The info I've come across recently (ballistic charts) show muzzle velocity to be nearly identical between the .450 and a peak-loaded 45-70.

Is this not the case?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
Yes, handloaded they are ballistic twins for all intents and purposes, although the 45-70 has an edge if you go into Ruger data.

Tim

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare.cgi?sn=VCoXlLVFBm&loadset=27&xxglbl=1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain