Author Topic: New Toy -NEf SB1F12  (Read 1521 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
New Toy -NEf SB1F12
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »
Hi All: Just picked up a NEF SB1F12 camo turkey shotgun. Comes full choked with sling and looks like
it could knock down a turkey or two <G>. I plan to find out this April ( in Wash. State we have a
season that runs from April 15th to May 31st). I will probably be patterning it next week.
  I've read alot about all this "special" turkey ammo but the guy we will be hunting with just uses Rem #6
pheasant loads, the same he uses during pheasant season. My question is - are all these special turkey loads just a bunch of hype or do they really make a difference? The pheasant loads are definitely cheaper to shoot but I guess a lot depends on how well they pattern in this particular shotgun.
 I plan on trying 4 or 5 different loads (including Hevi-Shot) and will post the results.
Thanks
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
Re: New Toy -NEf SB1F12
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
I have the same shotgun and i also live in Washington (tricities area you?) I'm planning on using the high velocity pheasant ammo in either #6's or #4's which ever patterns better. definitely get a good recoil pad and i would stay away from the 3.5" shells the 3" are brutual
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:12:55 AM »
Yakima - Mine came with a rubber recoil pad. Its a 2005 model and has the ejector instead of the
extractor. I was a little concerned about that figuring I'd get one with the newer extractor system.
I plan on patterning both the Rem. Pheasant #4 and #6's as well as some others but have no plans
on trying the 3 1/2 in shells. I hear they kill at both ends <G>.
Thanks for reply
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »
Looking to buy the 12g Pardner turkey gun. Is the barrel on this gun full choke or extra? If not extra, does the full choke get the patterns your looking for. I was wondering if the model that  allowed for screw in chokes might not lend for flexibility. Thanks in advance for any information.

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »
The NEF sb1-f12 comes with a fixed full choke and is camo'd. NEf also makes the sb1-f10 which is black
and comes with a screw-in extra-full choke. If you want different choke options then the later one would
be your best choice. Both come with 24inch bbls. Either one should be a great turkey getter.
I got the fixed choke model due to availability/cost and if I get time, will try to pattern it today.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.aspx

My 12 gauge Pardner Turkey gun came with a screw in full choke, and a black painted wood stock set.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerTurkey.aspx

My 12 gauge Pardner Turkey gun came with a screw in full choke, and a black painted wood stock set.

swampman, have you had the chance to pattern it yet? what does it like?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:56 AM »
With 3 1/2" #6s it shoots a very tight pattern.  I put a NWTF laminated stock set on it.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 02:09:27 AM »
With 3 1/2" #6s it shoots a very tight pattern.  I put a NWTF laminated stock set on it.

You can shoot them 3 1/2's in that all you want, :o  :o  I will stick to my 10 ga for lanching 3 1/2's
Nice looking shotgun swampman
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 03:01:58 AM »
The lack of good chokes for the 10 keeps me from buying one.  I don't really notice recoil.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:05 AM »
The lack of good chokes for the 10 keeps me from buying one.  I don't really notice recoil.
My 10 is the 32" fixed modified choke  I didn't notice recoil when I was 20-30-? now that getting closer to my 50's I notice  a lot more things,  most of them I would rather not notice lol!
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:22:14 AM »
My question is - are all these special turkey loads just a bunch of hype or do they really make a difference? The pheasant loads are definitely cheaper to shoot but I guess a lot depends on how well they pattern in this particular shotgun.

All hype.  I have the same gun, and the best pattern density i have shot on a turkey head target at 30 to 40 yards was from Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 3" #6 loads 1-3/4oz.
A box of 25 is cheaper than most boxes of 10 turkey loads.

If you know where to aim, there is no need to throw 2oz + at a turkey.  The old timer that got me started in turkey hunting never used more than 2-3/4" field loads and dropped every bird he shot at.   Pick up a pack of turkey head/neck targets and practice in different situations if possible.  See how you aim at 30 to 40 yards uphill and downhill while sitting on the ground in an uncomfortable place.  With a short single shot it is especially important to know how your gun aims and get your line of sight the same every time on the single bead.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 05:43:34 AM »
I have the  NEF turkey gun with 3 1/2 " chamber and screw on extra full choke.   It loves #6 shot and hates #4's.  I have tried all brands of #4 but I get holes in every pattern starting at 25 yds.  The #6's will be a dense cloud all the way out to 50 yds. 

For kicks last year I patterned some #4Buck 3 1/2" shells - at 40 yds I got 28 pellets in 18" circle.   Don't know what I would use it for because the kick is brutal in this gun even with a decelerator pad.   

Three turkeys in three years...10, 30 and 40 yds with #6's.  I think I'll stay with that load.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:54:31 AM »
"kicks last year I patterned some #4Buck 3 1/2" shells - at 40 yds I got 28 pellets in 18" circle.   Don't know what I would use it for because the kick is brutal in this gun even with a decelerator pad"

sounds like a great coyote load to me....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley