Author Topic: S&W Sigma  (Read 821 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
S&W Sigma
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
I did a search and read the posts that popped up.  I still need some opinions/input/experiences.

Gander has the Sigma in 9mm and 40S&W for $279 after rebate and 2 Hi-Cap mags by mail FREE when you buy the gun.

Is this a GOOD deal and is this a good CC firearm?  Also, you should know that the only handgun that I have ever owned is a Buckmark.  Would the Sigma be a good one for my first center-fire?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline BillP

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: S&W Sigma
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »
Asking opinions about Sigmas is opening a can of worms.  It appears to be one of those firearms that you either love or hate.  Most of those who hate them take issue with the trigger.  Others like me find the trigger to be quite easy to get along with.  The trigger pull resembles the "double action" pull on a S&W revolver.  It will never equal the quality of the S&W revolver trigger but that's not easy to do anyway.  Those who like them seam to be able to "stage" the trigger for deliberate shots like we did with the revolvers.  A lot has been said in the forms about the need to break in the trigger to be able to do this but I have always believed that it was mostly a matter of getting your brain into your trigger finger anyway even with the revolvers.

Those who love them do so because they represent a reliable weapon at an excellent price.  If you are looking for that, go for it.  If on the other hand you want a wonderful handgun that will bring a smile to your face every time you shoot it, save your money for a while and buy a Sig.  Really, you should try the Sigma as well as other guns.  The Springfield XD has a lot going for it and is reasonably priced.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »
I have no handgun experience to draw from, except my Buckmark.  I don't understand about the trigger.  If this is better explained in a PM than on this thread, then someone please feel free to PM me.  The price is what drew me to this firearm and the S&W name.  As I said, this would be my FIRST centerfire handgun.  I have been researching revolvers, but none of them in a CC size even come close to this price.  Thanks

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »
The Sigma is a little large for most people to conceal carry easily. It is classified as a full size pistol. With the proper holster it can be carried without much of a problem. I carry mine in a belt slide quite often, but it is not my every day carry weapon. The trigger pull is quite long and breaks at 10-12 pounds. It is not unmanageable by any means, especially after shooting it for a while. I am one of the people who really likes mine in 9mm. I have quite a few pistols and revolvers that I shoot regularly, so the trigger doesn't bother me at all. My Sigma has been totally reliable and has never had a failure of any kind. It is very easy to break down for cleaning and just as easy to re-assemble. It is not target grade accurate, but is more than adequate for plinking and defensive purposes. In my opinion, the Sigma is an excellent value and you get a lot of gun for the money. The rebates/magazines just make the deal better. There are lots of pistols out there with better triggers, but none near the Sigma's cost and I would put mine up against any of them as far as reliability. I don't think you will be disappointed if you don't get caught up in all the "bad trigger" talk. Enjoy.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
i like mine in .40 s&w. it's no pocket pistol, that's for sure, but it goes bang every time with whatever i put in it, and i can keep 'em in an apple at 25 feet.
i carry it mexican quite a bit. it stays rights where i put it in my waistband, and pulls smoothly. it has no horns that grab fabric.
His,
><>

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
It is a good carry gun.  Simple and reliable.  Now how comfortable you are with it's size is up to you.  It is smaller than a breadbox and bigger than a book of matches. 

The $279 isn't a bad deal.  The shop around here had it for $259 after the rebate, by far the best i've seen... that's if you want to drive to Alaska.  ;)

I think mine was $320 when I got it a couple of years ago.

I have the .40, and cause of how it's weighted, the .40 does have some snap, but nothing too bad. 

For a first center fire, plinker, could be carry, all around pistol, it is a great deal. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »
S&W makes terrific revolvers, but they have not had the best of luck with their automatics. If you just want a good dependable but inexpensive shooter, I'd suggest getting a Ruger. If it's something you are going to carry to defend your life with, save up a while and get a Glock.

BUT, if you want a really fine shooter, that is accurate and extremely dependable, stick with the S&W. Just make it a revolver!  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline TxPhantom

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »
My SW9VE has never had any kind of malfunction in over 4000 rounds. Very reliable, accurate, great ergonomics, and inexpensive, with a no B.S. warranty by S & W. The trigger on the Sigma is like a D.A. revolver trigger.
I also have two S & W, MPs that I love. Much better trigger with all the above features plus interchangeable adjustable grips.  Buds Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com ) has MP's at $439.00 delivered. With the $50.00 rebate and no state sales tax that's only $389.00 plus FFL fees. For about $100.00 more you can get a MP. You wont regret buying a S & W MP! ;)
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

Samurai Saying; \"After a victory is the time you should tighten your helmet straps\"

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
Why is it that the Sigma is so much cheaper compared to the M & P?  Is it market hype, or is there that much of a difference in quality?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
There was a time when they had trouble giving them away. I guess they never overcame the negative perception so many people had.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
I really am leaning toward a revolver for field carry.  That new Ruger 380 pocket gun sure looks interesting.  I think I will check those out when they get some in at Gander.  But right now, the piggy is empty, AGAIN.  I just found a Versa Pak, NIB, so I will have to start saving again. ;D

I really appreciate all the input from all you who have posted here.  Honestly, my mind won't really be made up until I walk out of the store with handgun. ;D

Thanks, guys
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"