Author Topic: Any opinions on Famous Maker scopes?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Any opinions on Famous Maker scopes?
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
I'm looking at their HT 4-14X44 30 MM Mil dot. This is not a cheap scope. It has side paralex focus, quick eye focus. and a 30 mm tube. Comes with rings for about $135 dealer. I Can't find out much about them anybody have one or actualy held one in there hands?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Any opinions on Famous Maker scopes?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:03:31 PM »
I think that IF they were in fact a "famous maker" they'd have their name associated with it. Cheap is a relative term. For that scope that price is very cheap in my opinion and I'd be surprised if quality was adequate at that price for what the description says it is.

You just don't get a high quality 4x14 scope on a 30mm tube with side focus for $130. Most name brands with those general specs would run over $500. That should tell you something (in fact all you really NEED to know) about their quality.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:03:51 AM »
GB - Just ordered Burris Fullfield II with Bal Plex ret. in a pkg with spotting scope.  ;D

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:06:25 AM »
GB - Just ordered Burris Fullfield II with Bal Plex ret. in a pkg with spotting scope.  ;D
Probably a better choice.

A full report is expected you know :)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »
You ll be happy with the burris. Both scopes will serve you well. Ive had good luck with their warranty
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
I've got 3 of the Burris FFIIs, two 3-9x made in the Philippines and one US made 3.5-10x, all with the Ballistic Plex reticle., great scopes and they'll usually mount in medium rings if you can mount them to the rear far enough and maintain full FOV.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »
a lot of famous things were junk !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »
The big decision maker was that the FM was $135 plus freight and the Burris was $169 free freight and it comes with a 20X50 compact spotting scope for free. Burris is only a 3X9 but has the Balistic plex and I have one on a 350 Jacob that has preformed well for over a year. I also have a couple of Nikon Prostaffs with BDC and a Bushnell Baner with BDC. My Mil-dots are all BSA( 2-6X24, 1- 8X32SF and a Sweet 17) and I have had excellent service from them so I thought the FM might be worth a look, but hard to beat the Burris deal.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »
Gary,

You'll like the FFII scope, but the Landmark spotter isn't much of a deal if it's like mine, you'll sell it to help offset the cost of the riflescope as all of those sellers you'll find on ebay have been doing.  ;)

Tim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
Leupold's are expensive but they are guaranteed for life. They are excellent scopes---not made in China ;)

Mc ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 01:55:38 PM »
Leupold's are expensive but they are guaranteed for life. They are excellent scopes---not made in China
......yet!!! ;D

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »
Yep, at some point we have to start protecting our manufacturing sectors. Southern Ontario's manufacturing is dying a slow painful death.

Mc >:(

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
One of the best kept scope secrets is a Swift.  US made, and a life time walk in exchange at any dealer if anything goes wrong, or you can send it to the factory.  I've got a couple.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
One of the best kept scope secrets is a Swift.  US made...

Maybe they used to be.  I have 2 swift scopes.  One on my hornet and one on my 686.  The rifle scope says China and the pistol scope says Korea.  They were both just over $100, but I would put them up against my $200-$300 nikons any day.  My Korean made Swift pistol scope looks like a mechanical clone of the old leupold pistol scopes and is just as clear.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
Swift scopes aren't made in the US, they were made in Korea, but the company was sold in 2006 and is no longer US owned, so I don't know what the current quality is, I do know the Standard line left a lot to be desired, but the Premier line is or at least was an excellet scope, I have several of them. Their company info on the website used to state they were US owned, but it doesn't any more. Their warranty has also changed, only the Premier line has the lifetime warranty, the Standard line has been replaced by Reliant since the ownership change.

Tim

http://www.eabco.com/SwiftSportOptics.htm

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/company.html

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/contact/warranty.html

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
i actually have 2 leapers accushot scope's and they work very well . 1 is a 4-16x56 , 30 mm tube, and side focus . its very clear but its heavy and very large . the other is a t168 ar15 scope . its a 6 power , its compact , lighted reticule and bolts in the carry handle. granted these scope are both on .223's . i prefer to buy scopes with more well known names (bushnell, tasco , and simmons) but with these accushot scopes , i feel i got 2 good scopes for not alot of coin 

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »
I have 2 Bushy 3200's 4-12X with fine duplea reticle. Medium price for a pretty good scope.

Mc ;)

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »

Your post brings up a RED FLAG!  Last winter my brother purchased a scope advertised as being from a Famous Maker.  I believe he had seen it advertised in Shotgun News.  The price was to good to be true for a quality scope.  Initially he was impressed because he is converting some of his rifles to scopes with 30mm tubes.  He told me that he had ordered one.

I had to bite my tongue and quit playing big brother. 

He received the scope and mounted it on a custom rifle (amazing putting a lot of money into a rifle then installing a cheap scope.)  As soon as the weather broke he got out and tried the rifle.  When he received it he was not impressed in the quality of the glass, when he took it out the glass fogged up.  He also complained about the poor adjustments.  If I recall correctly he said the scope was made in China.

I know his pride was hurt when he told me about the scope, but I am sure he did not want me to repeat his mistake.  He talked about sending it back to the outfit he bought from.  He was rather upset with himself for wasting his money.  He has not mentioned the scope again, so I assume the outcome was not satisfactory.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 05:19:12 AM »
I once bought a Bushnell Sportview. What a piece of junk. Cost $80.00 and was made on Korea. It went back >:(  >:( >:( >:(

Mc