Author Topic: Hurt feelings  (Read 842 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Hurt feelings
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »
I am so sensitive, I was gone from the board for  35 days and nobody noticed.   ;D

Combination of burned out computer and 3rd world telephone service...

While I was gone I got a copy of A Treatise of Artillery 1780 by John  Muller.  Who posted about this book? Dom was that you?

If you build or shoot cannons you should have this book!!

In a couple of days I am going to open a discussion post on this book.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Hurt feelings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
     DD, my pug was snorting more than he usually does; maybe he noticed.   ;D

Welcome back,

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
I was gone from the board for  35 days and nobody noticed.

Actually, I noticed you were back.  So where are you now?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
I noticed that you were gone  and that you had returned. Didn't want to ask any questions in case it was because you were in the process of retiring and moving to the Montana getaway. Kinda figured you had enough on your plate without me getting in the way. Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
Welcome back.  I'm glad you are going to be discussing Muller.  This article doesn't discuss details of Muller so it won't steal your thunder, but it does discuss Muller in context of competing contemporary literature and you may find it interesting.  I don't know why the author hasn't put his signature on the article but I'm sure the primary if not only author was Canadian historian Donald Graves.  He has just come out with part 3? which is equally if not more informative, and I'll put in a link to that soon if I havent' done so in another post already.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/Warof1812/2006/Issue1/c_arty2.html

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
Here's Donald Graves' "part 4" article, just published a few days ago.  I found this article extremely well-written and recommnded it to the other members of the Company of Military Historians in a posting I made on their forum.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/Warof1812/2008/Issue8/c_arty4.html

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
Muller's book is sort of the bible of artillery when talking about 18th Century artillery I have one of the limited editions sets Museum Restoration Services put out 791 of 850,
You should include William Rudyerd's A course in Artillery at the Royal Military Academy, Guillaume LeBlond's  ATreatise Of Artillery  and Elementary Treatise on the Mounting of Naval Ordnance by William Congreve als
o.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:39:51 AM »
 I was gone from the board for  35 days and nobody noticed.   ;D

Overly sensitive ?  MARINE ?

NOT SO.  I KNEW!  You have been missed, we have been POLITELY waiting your return to the cyber world as soon as you get back from your 'vacation' in S.A.

We missed your posts on each and every thread.

We missed your pictures of S.A. cannon competition !  Can you still compete in international postal matches ?

AND we are fully expecting for you to make up for LOST TIME - from laying back and being OFF THE JOB!

NO excuses like having to move from one Continent to another and culture shock of retirement!

May your travels be safe and UNeventfull !  WELCOME back.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline MikeR C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
Welcome back, and thanks for the drawings. Muller's book was my first cannon book, even before "Round shot and rammers". I used his description extensively to draw up this carriage (NOT the rachet I got that from elsewhere, just the basic wooden part:

Along with some help from Millar (the rack under the quoin).
On the back cover of Muller's book is an advert for "Gun Carriages 1846", if you go here:
http://civilwarfortifications.com/
and look in the library they have a scanned version with the plates (Cannonmn they scanned the oversize plates in two parts so they are all there!) this is a link:
http://civilwarfortifications.com/library/aide-memoire/index-frame.html
look under "Carriage gun and Battery".
Welcome to the world of Muller, although the "f"s for "s" is irritating...

Thx
MikeR C

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
Thanks for the link to the book section.  I backed up the url a bit and got to the library, what a little goldmine of fortification and artillery books online!  Yes it seems they've gotten the plates that would be of interest to most of us.  I liked the Brit carriages, some I haven't seen before.  We have one identical (as far as I can tell) to the 3 pdr carriage shown in plates XXV and XXVI under "carriages" so I guess ours is official, I had my doubts for some reason.

Everyone, check out the online library he brought to our attention, fantastic stuff:

http://civilwarfortifications.com/library/

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
While I was gone I got a copy of A Treatise of Artillery 1780 by John  Muller.  Who posted about this book? Dom was that you?

Doug,  I mentioned Muller in an earlier post on breech wall thickness.  Very good info there and I'm glad you're raising a discussion on his book.  Thanks.  Dom