Author Topic: Neck Turning  (Read 547 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Neck Turning
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:37:39 AM »
Do any of you folks neck turn you brass for your Handi's. Does it make any differnce to accuracy?

Mc ;D

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Re: Neck Turning
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Mc.
I neck turn all my brass for all calibers. When you measure the neck walls the need becomes obvious. Concentricity is the name of the game. Also loaded shells go bang without it. The only brass that I think you can get away without neck turning is Lapua.

You may believe it not needed and in some chambers and rifles it is a waste of time. You have to do your own experiments to
see whether neck turning improve accuracy.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:26:27 AM »
Hi Fred

I neck turn allot of my stuff but I haven't done it for the Handi's so far. I bought the spindles for the 204 so maybe I should give it a try. I have not been neck turning in combination with FL sizing and so far the Handi's seem to need FL.

Mc

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
Fred M or Mc

When you turn , do you also ream the inside or just turn the outside ? I'm just getting into some of this stuff with wildcats and like a sponge - soaking up info .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
It would be interesting to know why you are asking.
If you are getting 2" groups and wanting .5" groups this will not be the whole answer, just a part of it.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
Only the outside is cut.

Hairtrigger:

My 204 shoots about 1-1/4 MOA so I haven't seen the need to neck turn. Also, I am FL resizing so it would seem to be a waste of time. I am still working on the action to change this. The reason I am asking is that some Handi's are shooting very well and I wanted to inquire about what others are doing. I have been reloading for 20 years so I have a good handle on these matters. Handi's though can be quite challenging.

Mc ;)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
As long as you just remove the material necessary to make the neck consistant thickness you will not waste your time...not sure you will help any, especially with FL sizing.
Let us know what you find out

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
I measure a few cases with a ball mice to find the thinnest wall dimension. i then set the outside reamer to that dimension.

The smaller cases like the 204 will really benefit regardless whether you FL size or not. These little bullets need to be perfectly
centered in the case for good accuracy. At least that is my believe and experience.

this computer keeps conking out and I be lucky to get this post posted.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
I think Fred is correct, neck turning helps. With that said I do not turn necks unless I have to. I have made 221 fire ball cases out of 223 brass, you better turn the necks or you are going to get a lot of pressure build up because the necks are too thick. I have also made 222 cases out of 223 and 30-30 out of Win 375 cases and they do not need turned in most cases. Neck turning does make a gun more accurate, but not by a whole lot. If you are getting 1" groups you are not going to drop it down to .5 by neck turning. Maybe a couple of tenths., maybe. I am not trying to get to the top of the bench rest world, just hit a varmint when I have notion to. Just my 2 cents
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.