Author Topic: .308 or 300 win mag  (Read 877 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.308 or 300 win mag
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
Well guys its came down to I'm going to go with a bolt action rifle. A friend talked me out of a blr.

Its either going to be a .308 or .300 win mag. Now I'm really looking more towards a .300 win mag because I'm looking to buy a Remington 700 cdl. Why is it they are not making them in 308 left-hand? or am i not reading the website right?

I guess i would really like to go with a .308 but if i dont like the gun completly i want the ease of getting parts to customize and thats mainly why i want to go with the 700 action.

I know their is more options than just remingtion but like i said i would like to easily customize if i think its needed. How easy is a bolt to mod? Also can i get a winchester model 70 .308 left handed?

Offline LEO

• Contributor
Re: .308 or 300 win mag
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
Slickest, Remington doesn't offer the 700 CDL left hand in 300 win mag either only the 300 Ultra Mag.  Is there some reason you have excluded the 3006 from your caliber choices.  It is available in the CDL left hand.  The Model 70 wasn't offered in 308 left hand, I don't know what FN is going to offer when they bring the Model 70 back.  Tikka offers their T3 in a 308 left hand if your heart is set on a 308, Savage also offers a left hand 308.  I think though if you want the 700 CDL left hand then 3006 might be your best option.  Hope this helps

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »
I think LEO made great suggestion's with the Tikka , Savage and Remington cdl they did offer the bdl left handed in 308 until last year so you could possibly find one of those pretty easily . I personally would go with the tikka or savage in 308 because they are both less money and are available in stainless and synthetic . Their is also a ton of aftermarket stuff for savage products . superdown

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
For what its worth, Bolt guns are known for accuracy, and lever guns for utility.  Had you said that your friend tallked you out of one caliber for another caliber or one brand for another brand, that wouldn't have raised any flags, but one action type for another action type begs the question, "What are your goals for this rifle?"

Anyway, I have had (or currently have) a savage bolt actions in 308 and 300 win mag in left hand.  The savages were very accurate and easy to accessorize (although long action left hand aftermarket stocks are hard to come by for savages, but still easier than other brands).  If your looking for a factory accurate long(er) range gun, I'd look at the savage 10FP's in 308 or other packages in 30-06 (I got a lefty in that too).  300win mag is a good gun - a great one for hunting, but unless you are used to recoil, don't torture yourself.

A friend talked me out of a blr
Also have a BLR in .257Bob.  its a toss up between it and the savage 99 I had in 308 as my most accurate utility rifle (out to 250-300 yards),

p.s.  Real friends talk you into more rifles.  ;)

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
I guess the main reason i excluded the .30-06 the guy i talked to said their is really only about a 10% velocity difference between the .30-06 and the .308. and just also the availability of bulk ammo for the .308. I guess the only reason i have been thinking about the .300 win mag is a friend reloads and i know he would help me out with some custom loads since he shoots a .300 win mag also.

I would really like an accurate gun that's all. That's why I'm thinking about a bolt action. Kind of disappointed Remington doesn't make a .308 or a .300 win mag in lh anymore. Im guessing i will be looking at savage now. I just really want to option to customize if i dont like it completely

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:28 AM »
Slickest, right now good surplus 30-06 ammo is easier to find and cheaper than 308, obviously that is subject to change as the market ebbs and flows.  I have shot quite a bit of surplus 308 and the quality on it is hit or miss depending on where and when it was produced.  It is generally fine for just plinking but with the cost and availability of surplus 308 now it is not really cheap anymmore.  But then, no ammo is cheap anymore.  But you are right the performance difference between the two is minimal.  I really only recommended the 3006 because it will do anything the other two cartridges will realistically do and is available in the rifle you wanted.