Author Topic: Is there a corolation of frame to barrel/Cal.??  (Read 349 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Is there a corolation of frame to barrel/Cal.??
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:52:35 AM »
I am noticing that my barrels seem to follow a certain caliber/fit agenda. I was wondering if the factory uses certain jigs for certain caliber rifles or have I just been the rare exception? I have a frame that came as a 35 Whelen that every standard caliber I put on it(so far) fits but none of my large calibers fit it(35Whelen, 25-06, 223 heavy all fit) Now this isn't a big deal except the 223 and 25-06 were made for other guys to go on their frames and fit at the factory. Now I just purchased a new 45-70 to use the frame and sold the barrel. All of my 45 barrels including my BC fit that frame perfectly but  none of the others will. I have a 450 Marlin on it's way and can't wait to see if it is a match for the 45-70 frame. Oh and my 243 Ultra will interchange with the 35 Whelen group but won't except a 45-70 barrel. My .218 Bee that started life as a 22 Hornet won't interchange with any of them. Now I know that you can send your frame to the factory and get any barrel fit to it but is that because they fit the new barrel to your frame therefore if I bought a 45-70 barrel that had been fit to a 35 W frame it would have a good chance of fitting mine. Maybe this is just an oddity but I thought it would make for good reading on this board on a Monday.  F50  ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Is there a corolation of frame to barrel/Cal.??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »
One correlation that's been made is year of mfr, Stimpy point that out in a thread last year. For example, I've tried several 2005 barrel and frame combos that most fit fine, but not all of em did, but they were still very close, more than likely all they'd need was to clean up the chamber face which I've done a lot, a lot have excess headspace which makes it easy.  If the 450M barrel has an ejector, you'll know it's an older barrel, at last report, the accessory barrels still were. Regardless, having multiple frames is an easy way to insure a second hand barrel will find a good mate.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »
I wonder if there is any correlation in my misspelling the word. Spell check should do the subject line. Thanks Tim for all the great info and the great job you do on this and other forums.  ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
The forum software doesn't check the subject line, if you want one that does, try one of the tool bar utilites, I use the google toolbar which has some other Handi features such as a search history, word find within search results and pop-up blocker, and numerous other features that I don't use, but there are also freeware spell checks such as IEspell if you use Internet Explorer.  ;)

thank you,

Tim

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/index_pack_xp.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain