Author Topic: AK-47, lead bullets, and gas tube fouling  (Read 382 times)

Offline TargetTerror

• Trade Count: (0)
AK-47, lead bullets, and gas tube fouling
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
I want to load up some cheap rounds for my AK, for general plinking at 50 yards and under.  I'm really tempted to get some 150 gr lead bullets, since they are quite a bit cheaper than jacketed bullets. 

I recall reading somewhere that lead bullets can cause slightly more fouling in the gas tube.  Is this true?  Will a simple scrubbing of the bore clear the gas hole sufficiently, or would I need to regularly break the whole gas piston assembly down and give it a good scrubbing?

Offline KN

Re: AK-47, lead bullets, and gas tube fouling
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:30:23 PM »
You will probably end up doing a lot more, and more detailed cleaning. Will it really be worth it?    kN

Offline phalanx

Re: AK-47, lead bullets, and gas tube fouling
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
I have wondered that also ,i cast bullets for my Sharps .1886 ,and other guns but i wanted to cast for an M1A.
Only one semi rifle will do this and i have done it ,it is the H&K 91 ,or any of its clones.
It is because they are blow back operated.
I even wondered about wheel weights because they are harder ,but i have heard don't do it.
How about Zinc? the BP cannon guys use it for balls .
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III