Author Topic: Looking for a new CCW  (Read 1915 times)

Offline AlabamaBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a new CCW
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
Been looking for a new CCW .I have had several  revolvers and a few autos .Calibers have ranged from .38special to .40cal. I have concealed a Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel. I am wondering about a 1911 style .I have narrowed it down to that or an sp101 in 357 mag .I have owned sevral of the 357's and have no problemwith them but have always wanted a 1911 style . TIA BamaBoy

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Looking for a new CCW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:12:04 PM »
BamaBoy - if you can conceal a Ruger Blackhawk you will have no problem concealing a 1911.  If you are looking for a full sized auto at a decent price look at the Springfield line.  If you have considered a lighter weight 1911 then both Kimber and Smith and Wesson offer superb products.  You have many options.  Drop on down to the 1911/45 Auto forum and see what some of those folks recommend.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline AlabamaBoy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »
The Blackhawk wasn't hard for me to conceal I kinda a large guy at 6'4" and 240 .I have always loved the looks of the 1911 but have never shoot or owned one .But a friend has just bought a Kimber so I might have to pay him a visit . Thanks for the advice . BamaBoy

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
BamaBoy - I would buy your buddy a couple of boxes of ammo for his Kimber and let him take you to the range (hahahahaha).  Just stick with good quality ball ammo for starters and you will see how well that Kimber performs.  You will also see how comfortably it fits just tucked into your waistband - just let your buddy know you're going to do that so he doesn't think you're tryin' to walk away with it (lololol). 

Your buddy may already have determined what brand of ammo shoots best in his pistol, so go with that.  The Kimber should group nicely at 25m - probably in the 2-3" range and it may hold those groups to 50 yds.  You may be able to get the same performance from other 1911s but you have to shop around for prices and comparable set-ups.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
Im a big 1911 fan. there my main carry guns but that been said there not a gun for someone that doesnt plan to train alot with them. Cocked and locked carry and a good enough knowlege of them to keep them maintained is nessisary. I teach ccw classes and for most people looking for a ccw gun that dont have a ton of experience i recomend a J frame smith or a sp ruger. There simple and reliable. 1911s and Glocks are for more experienced handgunners. If you must use an auto and dont have alot of experience find yourself a good double action only gun.
blue lives matter

Offline KN

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
Kimber RCP11 in a high noon split decision. Works perfect for me.

Offline AlabamaBoy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
I have owned several   Autos all in 40 cal. I still own a J frame in 38spcl.  All of my other CCW's have been 357mag .Just looking for opinions on the 1911 as a CCW .  Mantaining one should not be a problem for me ,I currently shoot a couple hundred rounds month out of my Smith 22a .I have never had a problem with maintaining a firearm, in my eyes a unreliable firearm is like a unloaded one as far as a CCW go's.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
There is no magic in a 1911--but I do like them a lot.
There are a lot of semi's that will fill the bill and I like a semi over a revolver----let's not turn this into an ongoing argument.
The Sig line has enough choices for anyone and they are the best--out of the box--you can own, IMO.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
One thing that you should consider is the weather where you live, and how you'ld dress at different times of the year? Also, your occupation, three piece suits are not common for manual labor jobs. You may just end up with more than one CCW?
You said you've owned CCW weapons before, how'ld you feel in a Tee shirt with the Ruger Super Blackhawk in Alabama?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
For a concealed carry 1911, you can't beat the Kimber Ultra Carry. Light, flat, and reasonably small.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »
I've got a Kimber Custom (full size) and a Colt Officers (the "cheaper" 1991-A1 Compact model)....I also have a Ruger SP 101 with the 3" tube.  Daily carry is generally the SP 101 due to weight and concealability issues...it's just more "comfortable" for me to carry all day long and I really don't feel undergunned with 5 shots of 158 gr. .357 shells.

The Colt Officers is fairly easy to carry...but I seem to shoot the SP 101 somewhat better.

Whichever you choose.....get you a good quality IWB holster and they'll all pretty much disappear......

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 02:10:15 AM »
You may want to consider a Smith M&P 357 Sig.  I've been reevaluating my CCW weapons (Keltec P3AT, P-11 & Smith 4013) and have switched to a Smith M&P 357 sig. full size for certain times of carry all have their places for me.  I picked the M&P over the Glock and XD.  To me it feels like an extension of my hand and it will replace the 4013.  The 357 Sig. closely approaches 357 mag. velocity.  The 357 mag. has a very good record of one shot stops.  My problem with the 1911 is the weight and in addition I want a double action only.  The M&P is actually a pleasure to carry for a full size handgun.

This is my mileage and others may vary.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
You can get a light weight 1911, so weight can be what ever you want it to be.

I think Lloyds comment should be repeated. The 1911 is one of the best ccw gun for the man willing to learn its discipline. You simply must train with it until safe handling is second nature. If you don't you will eventually have a AD. And those can range from embarrassing to deadly.

Unless you are willing to put in the training time the sp101 is a better choice IMO. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline henryb

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I carry a Kimber Eclipse.  Wouldnt trade it for anything.  Great Gun !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:39 AM »
I wouldn't trade one Sig for a boat load of Kimber's if my but was on the line.  I have owned two of the jamming, stove-piping pieces of crap.  Attempting to correct the problem, they went back to the factory several times, but they still had a problem when returned, both of them puppies have new homes today!

If you want a dependable, good shooting .45 look at the Sig 220, or 245.  They ain't pretty, but they are functional and lot less than the Kimber.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:10:26 PM »
I agree with Rockbilly.
I was looking at some Kimbers, just yesterday, and they are good looking, but Sigs just shoot---every time, all the time and accurate.
Sig is the only weapon I own--and I have a couple--that I have not had some enhancement done too them, with the exception of the one wheel gun I own.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:40 AM »
Morning, William!
Knew you liked Sigs, but though you were ans STI fan as well. Naw, maybe that was Glocks! ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »
For a 1911 I do prefer STI---I think it is the best, for the price, one can purchase.
The two I own are enhanced by Dawson before I got them.
If I had to pick up one from the counter, to save my Heine, it would be a Sig.
What the matter here---you can love your wife and your mistress, also. :D ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
AlabamaBoy wrote:

but have always wanted a 1911 style.

If you're wanting an 1911 style you may also want to look at a Colt.  I purchased a 70 Series in 1973 and it has never missed to go bang unless I didn't use a taper crimp when reloading or very light loads (stove pipe).  My brother in law purchased a Kimber last summer and it has never jammed he shoots only factory loads.  As with all things mechanical on certain pieces you may find a lemon but to label all Kimbers crap?  There's a lot of people that swear by them.  I myself think they're a little over priced but if you can afford buy it.

Concerning a firearm to save your butt.  Give me a semi-auto L1A1 or a AR-15 preferably a SP1

That's my mileage and others may very.

Turk

Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »
For a 1911 I do prefer STI---I think it is the best, for the price, one can purchase.
The two I own are enhanced by Dawson before I got them.
If I had to pick up one from the counter, to save my Heine, it would be a Sig.
What the matter here---you can love your wife and your mistress, also. :D ;)
Blessings

A real Heinie:

I think most problems people have with 1911s are self inflicted. Too many armchair gunsmiths? Too few talented craftsmen.
AF&AM #294

Offline AlabamaBoy

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
Well I went and picked up a S&W M&P in a 40 cal going to shoot it Sat .Next will be a Kimber

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
There are some real advantages too both.
The real concern is not with what a shooter may do too himself it is whether it will happen when you want.
I own STI, Colt, Sig.
The 1911's have a feel.
The Sigs have reliance.
Since I have the STI's and the Colt worked on by a smith I feel very comfortable with the reliability and do carry them----Sigs are Sigs and like the Warthog they perform as reliably as they are common in appearance.
With a name like SIG you know it has too be good---pardon the obvious encroachment of the Smuckers ads.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:36 AM »
williamlayton, Colt 1911s have been stopping fights since 1907 or there about? In a proved caliber, no less. Now, everybody is making clones of J. M. Browning's design, some good some not so good. But, the fact remains, he was a true gun making genius of our time. Lugers may go for more money but, they won't feed effective defense ammo? I'll stick with a son of the good ol' U.S.A. My $.02 worth
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:30 AM »
I disagree that the Sig will not feed any ammo.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
  i think i may have passed on that bad info  on sig....as i was going, by working the big nosed rds thru my sig manually.. sometimes it wasnt smooth.. but when fired as its supposed to be ,,everything
ive run thru  goes  smooth.. never had one problem yet.. so my bad for passing along some info
that was incorrect..live an learn..

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
save yourself a bundle and get a rock island 1911 mine has a very good trigger out of the box and feeds and functions perfectly even with wadcutter reloads. Same cant be said for a lot of the higher dollar guns (I've owned some of them )Browning left those tolerances loose for a reason and i really don't think any of the people making copies or clones are as smart as he was.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 03:23:12 AM »

torpedoman wrote:

Browning left those tolerances loose for a reason and i really don't think any of the people making copies or clones are as smart as he was.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The 1911 was orginally designed to shoot 230 ball and if you shoot those and or a HP with a similar shape it will function it was design loose to function in hostile dirty environments.  Everyone wants bullseye accuracy and to get this the guns get tighten up plus when shooting SWC bullets ramps need polished etc.  I carried a 1911 in combat as a M-60 gunner.  It would shoot and function even being dirty never did fire it in actual combat.  I might also say I have a very low regard of handguns in combat.

My Series 70's always feed the H&G 68 SWC bullets but I did have adjustable rear sights installed and a new high front sight.   Now wish I'd kept the original sights.

Turk
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »
My colts and kimber have not misfired or jammed.. if in another gun, there was a misfire or fail to feed stovepipe I have usually also seen a weak hand hold or something dragging on the slide, or a burr of some sort on the feeding ramp... but never on one of mine and never many ever anywhere ... some folks experience is different... we all have favorites and confidence in them... I would never just choose a brand and assume that gun will work for me or take that for granted...not for self defense.
I think sig is also very good... but I have not had any problems with any 1911 styled semi in 40, 45 380 9mm 38 super... different types, etc. but I do keep them clean if it is a tight really tight gun and requires that... I would not hesitate to use any brand of 1911 clone, and get a knowlegeable smith to check it out AFTER I shoot several  hundred times to break it in... I beleive in the design and it is pretty simple for a decent smith to get it just right... a mil spec 1911 will not jam and will not stove pipe, I would bet on that... it is not as accurate either as the tighter ones.. for defense I like reliability... my kimber is about 12 or 13 years old and has been shot a whole lot; it started its career as a police service weapon; and has a good bit of wear on it, and it is better than a new tighter one, at least to me.
I do stick to ammo that is similar in shape and weight to the 230 grain round nose fmj most of the time...but occasionally lighter loads always functioned just fine...
were the non-functioning guns well broken in, etc ? I always shoot a bunch of fmj bullets through any new semi and check it for any rough spots, and clean it really well before I rely on it...  dk

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Original poster asked about a 1911 and the respondant poster want to talk about anything but? Typical internet forum responces. Everyone has personal agenda's and thinks they should work for everyone.
AF&AM #294

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 04:26:56 AM »
check out some indoor rnges in your area. find out if they have rental guns and possibly if they rent a 1911 and a sp101 ,etc. if you find one that does rent the ones you are interested in give em a try pick the one you like the most.

or,then again , buy one of each you are interested in, keep the one you like the most.

i will not mention the judge,but that animal is a kick a-- in close defensive weapon.

posting from the bleachers,dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.