Author Topic: Taurus Lightweight vs. S&W Airweight  (Read 1568 times)

Offline buckeye hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Taurus Lightweight vs. S&W Airweight
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »
Anyone have any input as to the pro's and cons of each for Concealed carry?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Taurus Lightweight vs. S&W Airweight
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »
Smith's actually work can't say the same for most of the Taurus guns I've owned. I'd not trust my life to a Taurus.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline single action

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
recently bought a smith airweight bodyguard, very light even loaded, conceals well in a pocket or just stuck in my waistband.
The store I got it from had both taurus and smiths. The taurus was a little larger and heavier and just didnt "feel right" to me.
the smith was only about 50.00 more than the taurus, so thats what I got. It functions as it should, and is accurate enough for what it is.( obviously not going to shoot sillouette matches with it) The muzzle blast with 125gr jhp's is impressive.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »

Just to balance out your feedback... ;D....Ive had excellent luck with Taurus.  One of my daily carry guns is a Taurus .357.  It is the 7 shot so based on a heavier frame but I am very confident in it.  Ive a buddy who packs the Taurus lightwt and loves it.

Oh...the only revolver Ive ever had problems with was a smith & wesson model 29.  When fired rapidly double action it would bind up and the cylinder would stick.  Go figure! 

Silvertp

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:38 PM »
I've got two Smith Airweights (an older blued 3" barre model 37 and a new 638 bodyguard) and have no complaints with either.  When looking to purchase the last one, I handled the Taurus offerings as well as a couple of the Smiths (the bodyguard I bought and the Centential ? model).  The Smiths just felt a little more "right" in my hands and seemed slightly smoother on the trigger pull.  I went with the Smith mainly out of past dealings with both makers and the fact that the Smith was priced pretty much the same as the Taurus.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
I've got both. S&W 642 and Taurus 85 Ultralite. Not a nickles worth of difference in the way they shoot and have had no problems with either. Had the Taurus a lot longer. I actually have a set of the Model 85 grips on the 642 since I didn't like the factory ones.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »
I've not had a lot of luck with Taurus. I got a S&W 638 Airweight and love it. I didn't mind paying a little more for S&W quality and dependability.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:54:18 AM »
How many rounds would those of you who own both of these guns say you have shot through them? Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 05:26:51 AM »
The Taurus light weights are ported so they don't try to pull the bullets out of hot loads like an inertia bullet puller. The Smiths are a better design. I say this because I've done some work on both brands and the Taurus revolvers are not as durable in the internals. My wife has a Taurus light weight and I have a stainless .22 revolver. They both shoot good. My wife had a S&W 640 .357 and I liked it better than the Taurus but it was heavier.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein