Author Topic: a day with a rabbit  (Read 4309 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: a day with a rabbit
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »
deer are nice animals.  i have never killed one, no real fun in it when most times they just stand there like a kid seeing a toy.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 07:32:03 AM »
"Deer are nice animals" to roast, fry, broil........

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 08:25:12 AM »
deer are nice animals.  i have never killed one, no real fun in it when most times they just stand there like a kid seeing a toy.

Let me tell ya about the one I took with a blowgun!  OH! That was FUN!

{Fade in Banjo music}

It was 1976 in western Michigan and I just found some darts to use in my conduit blowgun
The snow had stopped and I was looking for action
After following a slew of tracks, I saw a big ol doe
I hefted the wind breaker and let go a dose of lung blown death
She felt the dart as it sunk deep into her chest. Then it was on!
She reared up like a scalded Rhino
Charged me like a call girl's credit card
Fixin to put the smacketh down, I struck with my blowgun

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »
"Deer are nice animals" to roast, fry, broil........

Cheese
dont forget grilling and sauteeing!

around here you dont get that too often.  might have something to do with the wolves, bears,  coyotes, and peoples out there looking to make a meal out of them. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
2 years ago i had a yearling MD out of a herd of migrating wilderness deer follow me around like a lost dog,I tried to run her off and she would come back within 10 feet and walk behind me,probably never seen a human before.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:36 AM »
Every night through the summer, I get about 10 or 12 of them in my front yard.  Some of them will get REALLY close sometimes.  We have some Percimon trees that they love.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »
I really do hate to see them on the highway...and it is not just for the fall months anymore :o

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »
there will be no more a day with a rabbit because cowgirl is gone. I have  been having it good sent i have moved up here to the springs.  well i come home after working a 8hour day and it was Thursday with is pay day and i also had just got a new gun(the hawes Federal marshal SA 44mag) and well i came in to see her and see did not get up like she does.  wel i came to get her up and i saw that she had pass when i was at work. It was the first time in my life that i cry like i did. I took her too the woods and got some wood to make a fire and and set her on fire.  i kept putting more wood on to make it get bigger tell the fire was jumping 6feet into the air.  i sang the song Ich hatt` einen Kameraden , it goes: In battle you were my comrade,None better I have had.The drum called us to fight,
your  always on my right,|: In step through good and bad. :| A bullet it flew towards us,For you or meant for me?His life from mine it tore,At my feet a piece of gore,|: As if a part of me. :| your hand reached up to hold mine.I must re-load my gun."My friend, I can not ease your pain,In life eternal we'll meet again,|: And walk once more as one." :| .  i stayed and watch the fire tell it was no more. then i left.  rest in peace my fiend and comrade.

Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 06:45:47 AM »
I am sorry to here about the loss of your favorite pet. When my yellow lab died, I was very sad :[

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »
You need help,serious,inpatient,help.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »
Taps? Is that Taps I hear in the distant abyss of the great Al Gore's Internet??? :'( :'( :'(

I swear boys; I'm so devastated that I might need to seek out a preacher to help get me through this loss... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline NONYA

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 07:06:18 AM »
Just find a roadkilled rabbit,light it on fire with gasoline and sprinkle rimfire ammo on it to give it a sendoff,you will be fine.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:03 AM »
it is sad when you loose a pet. 

except there was that time when my wifes cat bit our daughter....i wasnt so sad at taking the violators head clean off with a 45.   kind of a happy occasion now that i think about it.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »
I am sorry to here about the loss of your favorite pet. When my yellow lab died, I was very sad :[

Cheese

we had some very good times. like one time a power line was down all night and it was very cold and i put her in the bed with me. my mom said she will pee or eat up stuff in the bed but i know her and she was a good girl all night. Most times i sleep alone but that night it was good to have something warm and alive next to me. I had her for 10 years and i loved her like she was my child.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
creeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEeeppppy!

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

Cheese

we had some very good times. like one time a power line was down all night and it was very cold and i put her in the bed with me. my mom said she will pee or eat up stuff in the bed but i know her and she was a good girl all night. Most times i sleep alone but that night it was good to have something warm and alive next to me. I had her for 10 years and i loved her like she was my child.

:o :o I think I'm feeling slightly sick on my stomach... :-X

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 07:05:31 AM »
remember what i said about serial and rabbits.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »
it was good to have something warm and alive next to me.

"Warm and alive" - kind of reminds me of the pink goo from ghostbusters.  Not sure if that statement makes me feel all cuddly inside or not...

I forgot to tell you guys, I got skunked on my easter rabbit hunt... you would of thought them everywhere.....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 05:32:49 AM »
I just posting cause i got a new rabbit. I was up in AAA guns here in tarpon and some men were talking and one of them said there were getting rid of a rabbit. well the next day i came to pick it up(we talk it over and he say i could have it) and the bunny was  sick looking(they had not took good care of it), he had got it as a pet for his kids but they had a dog and well the dog got it. well now i have been take care of it as of Sunday and he looks better. he kind of looks like this rabbit

he scary of me and he going to be a inside pet because of his size. that all and remember rabbits are not easy pets to have(it's like have a small dog or cat) so if you can't take care of a cat or dog then don't get a rabbit.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »
it was good to have something warm and alive next to me.

"Warm and alive" - kind of reminds me of the pink goo from ghostbusters.  Not sure if that statement makes me feel all cuddly inside or not...

I forgot to tell you guys, I got skunked on my easter rabbit hunt... you would of thought them everywhere.....

Seeing a few rabbits out back but a few miles North it seem there has been a population explosion. Last time I was in the gunshop there was a young feller in there getting 500 12 gauge cartridges to control them. Seem there are eating so much grass that the field margins are bare and the farmer is none too happy about it. It's probably too flat here for huge rabbit populations.

Oh in the UK we don't have seasons for rabbits as they are classed as vermin.

Friends have a rabbit for the kids and they let it run round the Kitchen some times but it lives in a run/hutch in the garden (yard).

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2008, 09:11:47 AM »
i guess you can't have .22LR ? my field-master bolt is a fast little gun. you can keep them inside but you have to box train them like a cat. I have plastic all over my floor in my room so i can let them run around and i can eat or do as i like in my room. Cowgirl my first rabbit was a  Giant Chinchilla breed  and was about 12 pounds and my new rabbit is a Holland Lop which is a small dwarf variety of lop rabbits they only get up to maybe 3 Lbs. Rabbits are good pets and great game animals and if you love them they love you back.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
Oh you mean like this:-

22 LR BSA Supersport Five complete with sound moderator (silencer) yep legal here  ;D

Shotguns are very effective at controlling Rabbits especially when used at night with lamps from vehicles, again all legal here as this is vermin and farm pest control. Rabbits are also sold for meat commercially here. You would not believe some of the numbers of rabbits shot in some places they not only eat crops and grass needed for grazing but also are a threat to Horses due to their burrows and the rosk of leg damage to horses especially race horses and Hunters. Hunt horses that is, yes there are still hunts and horses here.

I have two friends who worked as a team on Night rabbiting using shotguns and shooting 30-100 per night was not uncommon.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »
Look what a couple of well meaning rabbit lovers did to Oz. :(

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »
Oh you mean like this:-

22 LR BSA Supersport Five complete with sound moderator (silencer) yep legal here  ;D

Shotguns are very effective at controlling Rabbits especially when used at night with lamps from vehicles, again all legal here as this is vermin and farm pest control. Rabbits are also sold for meat commercially here. You would not believe some of the numbers of rabbits shot in some places they not only eat crops and grass needed for grazing but also are a threat to Horses due to their burrows and the rosk of leg damage to horses especially race horses and Hunters. Hunt horses that is, yes there are still hunts and horses here.

I have two friends who worked as a team on Night rabbiting using shotguns and shooting 30-100 per night was not uncommon.

i did not know you could own any guns in the UK(there have lots of laws for airguns you know the 12pound limit).

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »
Yes we have a limit on the power of Air rifles before they become firearms and require a licence to posses. If you really did not know that we can and do have guns her either you have either not read any of my posts on the forums or you have believed the media. Myself I have a fair number of firearms and a few more shotguns.

We have long seasons and no limits on the taking of game and possession of game. There are laws covering the sale of game are another matter but it covers the sale of things like Pheasant, Hare and Venison (Deer Meat). Due to the fact that we have six hunt-able Deer species there are deer in season and so hunt-able all year round, rabbits are classed as vermin and so there is no hunting season for them same goes for Wood Pigeon ( a large Dove) which do a lot of damage to crops as the gather in huge flocks and descend on crops on masse. Shooters doing crop protection can often shoot bags of several hundred Woodies in one session.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:02 PM »
Yes we have a limit on the power of Air rifles before they become firearms and require a licence to posses. If you really did not know that we can and do have guns her either you have either not read any of my posts on the forums or you have believed the media. Myself I have a fair number of firearms and a few more shotguns.

We have long seasons and no limits on the taking of game and possession of game. There are laws covering the sale of game are another matter but it covers the sale of things like Pheasant, Hare and Venison (Deer Meat). Due to the fact that we have six hunt-able Deer species there are deer in season and so hunt-able all year round, rabbits are classed as vermin and so there is no hunting season for them same goes for Wood Pigeon ( a large Dove) which do a lot of damage to crops as the gather in huge flocks and descend on crops on masse. Shooters doing crop protection can often shoot bags of several hundred Woodies in one session.

a little of both. But i did not know, i am mostly a varmint hunter but i take a few hogs sometimes.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
 i think he s just got his way of livin each day .. we read because somehow down deep we know he s mastered something that we have not..but i get close sometime.. :)
 an i aint even got a rabbit..