Author Topic: automatic knife and switchblade  (Read 3225 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
automatic knife and switchblade
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »
are switchblade or automatic knife lagel here in the us? someone gave me one.

this was all i could find about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

U.S. state laws regarding possession, concealed and non-concealed carry State Possession Carry

Alabama Legal Allowed if not concealed
Alaska Illegal Illegal
Arizona Legal Legal
Arkansas Legal Allowed if not concealed, and blade is under 5 inches
California Legal Allowed if blade is under 2 inches.
Colorado Illegal Illegal
Connecticut Illegal Illegal
Delaware Illegal Illegal
Florida Legal Legal
Georgia Legal Legal
Hawaii Illegal Illegal
Idaho Legal Allowed
Illinois Legal Illegal
Indiana Illegal Illegal
Iowa Legal Legal if not concealed
Kansas Illegal Illegal
Kentucky Legal Allowed if not concealed
Louisiana Illegal Illegal
Maine Illegal Illegal
Maryland Legal Allowed if not concealed
Massachusetts Illegal Illegal
Michigan Legal Illegal
Minnesota Legal Illegal, only if the blade is above 6 inches
Mississippi Legal Illegal
Missouri Illegal, but exception made for collectors and/or possession as curios or antiques. Illegal
Montana Illegal, but exception made for collectors and/or possession as curios or antiques. Illegal
Nebraska Legal Allowed if not concealed
Nevada Illegal Illegal
New Hampshire Illegal Illegal
New Jersey Illegal Illegal
New Mexico Illegal Illegal
New York Illegal Illegal
North Carolina Legal Allowed if not concealed
North Dakota Legal Allowed if not concealed
Ohio Legal Illegal, only if the blade is above 6 inches
Oklahoma Legal Illegal, only if the blade is above 6 inches
Oregon Legal Allowed if not concealed
Pennsylvania Illegal, but exception made for collectors and/or possession as curios. Illegal
Rhode Island Legal Legal
South Carolina Legal Illegal
South Dakota Legal Legal
Tennessee Illegal Illegal
Texas Illegal, but exception made for collectors and/or possession as curios or antiques Illegal
Utah Legal Allowed if not concealed
Vermont Illegal Illegal
Virginia legal(purchases only allowed through online retailers) Illegal
Washington Illegal Illegal
West Virginia Legal Allowed if not concealed; concealed carry allowed with permit or license
Wisconsin Illegal Illegal
Wyoming Legal Illegal

it looks legal here in FL.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: automatic knife and switchblade
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:25:17 AM »
Why do you want one????
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
i got one as a gift. It's sharp as hell and it works well. I think he got it from walmart.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Walmart...not likely.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
I have some auto open lock blades push a button and they fold out and lock rock solid.and they have very very sharp serrated  blades they are made for emergency use.like rescue to cut seat belts etc.these will not be found at wal mart not sure what you have.
l
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
I have one and use it on RATS.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »
I have one and use it on RATS.

Cheese

And here I thought I was the only one that hunted rats with a switch blade!!! :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »
Is the 4 or 6" blade big enough to kill rats?
You fella's must use the 23" switch blade for rat's  ;D
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
there are assisted open knives NO BUTTON TO PUSH  is that what you have ? move the blade and it springs out .

I was at Gander MT. they had a wild boar sword on display , I took it as a hog sticker , ya'll think it may have been a BOAR RAT STICKER ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »
I was at Gander MT. they had a wild boar sword on display , I took it as a hog sticker , ya'll think it may have been a BOAR RAT STICKER ?
not very likely.  everyone knows that you cannot use a sword on rats.  you must use a slingshot fired spear!!!!   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:55:18 AM »
HOW SILLY OF ME !
you are so correct !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
I have some auto open lock blades push a button and they fold out and lock rock solid.and they have very very sharp serrated  blades they are made for emergency use.like rescue to cut seat belts etc.these will not be found at wal mart not sure what you have.
l

yeah, it just like that. It looks like a knife form  walmart, it's has a black hard  composite handle with a belt cilp. like the white one in this pic

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
That is NOT a Walmart display.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
looks like a gun show !
white knife ?
that narrows it to bout 7 !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »
no but as i said it looks like a walmart knife and by white knife the 3'' one .

not my pic but form photobucket.com

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
did it start life as a comb ? have the teeth filed off ?
i see them at the fair .

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
 ;D I have one. I use it to skin pet rabbits!  :o
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »
did it start life as a comb ? have the teeth filed off ?
i see them at the fair .
rotflmao

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 06:20:24 AM »
I know it is a Jamaldog87  post  and his posts are lets say "interesting" but I arrested a fellow the other night for carrying a concealed automatic knife (and a bunch of other stuff too).  Well I asked him about the knife and he is complaining that it just ain't right because the sell them at Wal-mart.  Well to make a long story short I swing by the local Wally World, and sure enough they have a couple of different models of automatic knives laying in the display case next to the clearance stuff in sporting goods.  I asked the guy in sporting goods about them and he said the sporting goods manager had gotten them somewhere after a brief discussion concerning how they could and couldn't be legally possessed the manager decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and took them off display.  My point being as highly unlikely as this sounds, it could have come from Wal-mart.  Although I got the feeling this was not an offically sanctioned product because I have looked in several other Wal-marts since and haven't seen any others.  This store often has "odd" stuff I think maybe the sporting goods manager is a bit of a free lancer.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »
well getting but to the post. your a cop right? well is there any Federal about these knifes?

i did find this on wikipedia.org/

United States of America
Knife laws vary tremendously from state to state, and even from city to city inside a state. In Texas, for example, individuals may carry knives openly or concealed so long as they are single-edged, and are not daggers, switchblades, or gravity knives. In Detroit, a pocket knife of over 2" in blade length is illegal. The term "gravity knife" (where the blade can open via gravity) is sometimes used interchangeably with the term "inertia knife" (where the blade can be flicked open with a snap of the wrist). This presents another ambiguity, since many modern folding knives can be opened by gripping the blade and vigorously flicking away the handle to open the knife. In some areas of the country, the term "switchblade" has been stretched to include an "inertia knife", thus outlawing a broad category of otherwise unremarkable knives. Butterfly knife legality is also questionable in areas — there have been convictions[citation needed]. In some other states, fixed-blade knives are banned, open carry is banned, and sometimes concealed carry of anything except pocket knives is banned. Cities have ordinances further restricting these laws; in San Antonio, TX, it is a violation to carry a folding knife having a locking blade. California allows switchblades with blades less than two inches long. In some metro areas such as Washington, D.C., going into office buildings or museums, or simply loitering while carrying even small 3" folding knives can be problematic. In New York City a visible knife is illegal, even if it's merely the clip that holds it in the pocket. Other restricted areas in the U.S. include court buildings, federal property (which technically limits blades to 2.5-inches), and public school grounds.

New designs such as Assisted Open knives make the question of what is legal to carry even more complicated. The Federal Switch Blade law prohibits possession of any knife designed to open with the use of a mechanical release. The Assisted Open design used, for example, by Kershaw employs a system by which the user starts the blade open by pressing a nub on the knife tang which extends out the back of the handle liners. The torsion bar then takes over and completes the opening of the knife. This system has been determined not to be a mechanical release since the user actually starts the blade with a push of their finger not a release or button being pressed

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »
Switchblades are only illegal because of "West Side Story", IMO. This is the same sort of thing that Hollywood did with sound suppressors, "assault weapons", machine guns, etc. Put together a fantasy story about something being used to kill a lot of people and scare the daylights out of the "old maids in pants" set.

I don't know how many times I've heard or read "Oh, it's just entertainment. No one actually believes that garbage." But the arguments I see when people discuss laws regarding knives or guns indicate those in favor of outlawing guns and knives really do believe the fictional presentation. Ardently and passionately, and there is no changing their minds unless you can identify the movies they have watched so you can point out that they are relying on a fictional view of the world for their real world view.

I hardly ever open a knife with two hands, as I usually have something to cut in one of them. There's been times I wished I had a switch blade.

The only living blood I've drawn with any knife was my own, and not on purpose.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 06:45:41 AM »
Switchblades are only illegal because of "West Side Story", IMO. This is the same sort of thing that Hollywood did with sound suppressors, "assault weapons", machine guns, etc. Put together a fantasy story about something being used to kill a lot of people and scare the daylights out of the "old maids in pants" set.

I don't know how many times I've heard or read "Oh, it's just entertainment. No one actually believes that garbage." But the arguments I see when people discuss laws regarding knives or guns indicate those in favor of outlawing guns and knives really do believe the fictional presentation. Ardently and passionately, and there is no changing their minds unless you can identify the movies they have watched so you can point out that they are relying on a fictional view of the world for their real world view.

I hardly ever open a knife with two hands, as I usually have something to cut in one of them. There's been times I wished I had a switch blade.

The only living blood I've drawn with any knife was my own, and not on purpose.

so there  illegal ?then why is there state laws about them as concealed carry? and why is there so many of them being sold at gun stores and other places?

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 04:23:03 AM »
"Illegal here" does not mean "illegal everywhere". Local laws vary.

They are illegal in some places because fools believe the boogey man stories. The knives also enjoy varying degrees if illegality, ranging from "no local laws", through "own but not carry" (collectors), to getting your door kicked down by a SWAT team for being suspected of owning one.

It all depends on where you live.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 06:48:05 AM »
i asked a tarpon springs cop and she say no if it's under 5''. I not going to carry it anyways to be safe.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
i asked a tarpon springs cop and she say no if it's under 5''. I not going to carry it anyways to be safe.

Why don't you go ahead and ask her if its legal for you to have a pistol and then see what happens when she pulls it out of you holster.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 07:15:43 AM »
Anything is illegal if the police officer arresting you doesn't like you!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:20 AM »
WHY CARRY A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT ANYWAY ?