Author Topic: forend names  (Read 450 times)

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
forend names
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »
There are several different forends for the NEF/H&R rifles/shotguns. I can't remember which one is called what. Can someone help me out.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: forend names
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:56:37 PM »
Well kenbev I will try to put down what I can. The older pallet wood styles were the "Schnabel" style, then came the straighter style with no relief and swelling on the end, these were made in both palletwood and laminated palletwood, some consider the laminated pallet wood a setup from plain one piece palletwood but it is a step the true laminated stocks. Laminated stocks originally came in cinnamon and camo and in Monte Carlo only but there has been a report of at least one plain pistol grip non MonteCarlo buttstock out there. I have reconfigured a laminated Palletwood buttstock to this style. There are now Thumbhole buttstocks laminated and there were even a few wood (Walnut)Thumbhole buttstocks available, Boyds makes there for H&R but does not acknowledge it. They are available when in stock from H&R in the Laminate only, there have been reports of the solid wood Thumbhole stocks cracking or breaking under the recoil of heavy calibers but not so with the Laminates.
The laminates are available in checkered or smooth and the Thumbhole buttstocks come smooth only, I feel they look and match best with a matching smooth laminated forearm.
There are palletwood and laminated ML stocks with matching forearms.
There are painted camo stocks available in different patterns IIRC.
There are Synthetic plain and Monte Carlo sets w/matching forearms.
There are synthetic survivor sets w/ storearm forearms
There are Tamer sets in 20 and .410, I believe that may have been available in 12 at one time.
Choates makes the synthetics for H&R and has a newer Varmint or style skeletonized set.
There are also straight English "Squire" style stocks available on guns some and from H&R, these now only come in laminate as far as I know.
There are companies that advertise here that put out some nice stocks, good quailty but the looks of at least one of the offerings of a Thumbhole stock for a certain company is a little weird and ugly to me.
There are also the buttstocks and forearms for the 10 gauge shotguns and the 12 gauge USH's which are larger, there forarms are also larger to accommodate the larger diameter barrel and they are longer as well.
Then there are the American black walnut checker stocks offered for the Buff Classic and Target model. They have a nice Scnabel style matching checkered walnut forearm that is about 3 inches longer than a standard forearm to go with the longer barrel.
There are also the American black walnut checkered stocks for the TDC's, they are nice and have matching checkered forerams. (these were at first offered smooth and you may run across a set like that, it is not a mistake)
The new .45 LC carbine comes with a checkered walnut buttstock just like the Buff Classic and a Schnabel style checkered walnut forearm but it is standard length and not as long as the Buff Classics.
There were long Mannilicher forearms at one time but no longer available from the factory, although they can be obtained from(Gunstocks Inc I believe), the oriinals are sought after and prized.
The early Shikaris had straight stocks and the early ML's had a long forearm held on partly with a barrel band. I need one of those barrel bands if anyone has one or knows where I can get one...
There are youth stoks in wood, laminate and synthetic.
The Versa Pak originally came with a wood youth stock set which had a straight buttstock (slight perch belly) and a smaller scaled down forearm. I have a set and am thinking of saving it for my granddaughters but in reality (they are 4 and 2 currently) they may do better with a lighter set of youth sized synthetics...

The new guns coming out this year have a few differences in the shape and style of the stocks, some have reported a better closer fit of wood to metal, possibly a changed amount of drop on some guns, and the synthetics have a slightly different shape the the forearm and pressed in checkering, something I dislike in a synthetic stock, the finish on the synthetic stocks we had were all that were needed, even in snow and rain. Pressed in checkering just looks cheap and "flashy" and cheapens the entire gun and it's appearance.

I did not realize there were this many variations out there and I am sure I missed some...Good Luck....<><....:)

Monte-Carlo, non Monte-Carlo pistol grip, straight grip (English style "Squire grip), palletwood, laminated paletwood, laminate, synthetic, and Walnut (the nicest !!!).
Schnabel forearms, straight forearms, Mannlicher forearms, ML forerams, 10 Gauge/USH (oversize) forearms, early Shikari forearms. Storearm forearms, Varmint forearms.

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Man, that was a mouth full. Thank you, I found out what I need to know.....

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
Yes I know it was long buddy, I hope it was not to much, but that's one of the nice things about this place, ask a question and you will almost always get an answer, and usually pretty quickly also. OK, OK, you may not always get an answer to your question, but you will at the least get some opinions....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
MSP, I think ya missed one unless it was disquised as something else ;D, the pistol grip checkered walnut low comb Topper Deluxe Classic stock set.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »
(T)here are also the American black walnut checkered stocks for the TDC's, they are nice and have matching checkered forerams. (these were at first offered smooth and you may run across a set like that, it is not a mistake).

This was what I mentioned to cover those Tim, I was getting tired, I never realized there were so  many factory stock offerings!!!

....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain