Author Topic: I got my 45/70 yesterday afternoon.  (Read 473 times)

Offline Down South

• Trade Count: (0)
I got my 45/70 yesterday afternoon.
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »
I got my new 45/70 yesterday. I was going to shoot it this morning but I can’t find the right adapter to fit my cleaning brush. I’ll have to get to town and buy the adapter. Shooting the rifle will have to wait till I can get the bore cleaned out. But so far I’m impressed. The stock and fore end look nice. They are made from much darker wood than I’ve saw in a lot of pictures. The trigger is what really surprised me. I checked the trigger weight with my scale and it is set at 1 lb 14 oz. I was thinking that I would have a 7 or 8 lb trigger and be needing a trigger job. There is no slop in the trigger either. My rifle has a 2008 build date.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: I got my 45/70 yesterday afternoon.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
sounds good
i have 5 handis, they all have good triggers, i have always prefered a little slack in a trigger, guess cause
every thing i ever had was that way, kind of a feel thing, took a little getting used to the handi.
Fact is i my handis don't have any problems "yet" i have a few, but i don't expect more from the handi
than i can do.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »
Congrats!! Sounds like the factory let one loose that's quite a bit under their minimum trigger weight of 3-3½lbs, if your scale is accurate, I'd be real cautious of it, check it often to seen if it's getting lighter, triggers can get light quickly thru normal wear and if they're already on the light side, that can happen even faster. I had one down around 2¼lbs that relatively quickly went to 21oz before I realized it, surprised me at the range one day, if that had been on a hunting gun, it could be bad news.   :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline towpro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »
Mine is 2007, I also love the trigger  ;D

Look through the FAQ for installing or replacing barrels, look at the pictures of the latch surface, then look at yours.

My BC started popping open after around 50 rounds, even with lighter lead bullet loads.
I mostly shoot leaning on a bag so it never bothered me.  In fact someone was watching me one day, he said "Wow, check it out, it even opens the action automatically after each shot"  ;).
I finally checked it out tonight (after reading the barrel section of the FAQ again).
I found a big burr on the barrel latch shelf.  I removed it with a hard flat stone, now I have a good lockup!  Wish I had seen this right away.

enjoy it, nothing like throwing 1/2 oz of lead 500 meters and hitting something!

Compass Will