Author Topic: Redfield Widefield Scopes  (Read 1785 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
Redfield Widefield Scopes
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the now discontinued Redfield "Widefield" Scopes?  Although discontinued, used specimens continue to circulate.  They're distinguished by a rectangular ocular (rear) lens, rather than the conventional round lens.  The rectangular lens gave the back of the scope a kind of TV  screen type shape for the stated purpose of providing a wider field of view...hence the name, Widefield.

Well my question is this. Since you adjust focus by turning the ocular lens, what happens if proper focus is achieved with the ocular ring in the vertical rather than the horizontal position?  The field would not be "wider" but rather would be vertically expanded up and down.  Kind of like turning your TV set on its side so that it was higher rather than wider.

Has anyone ever had any experience with the Widefield scope?  Would love to hear from you.   

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Redfield Widefield Scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
I have several widefields in 2-7 which is my favorite scope for deer hunting. All but one have the widefield lens front and back,and the one on a 22 smal game rifle has the round front.
As to the focus,no worrys of ending up like you suggest as when you get them focused where needed you can turn it a half to a whole turn one way or the other and not notice it.In fact I have to ture mine 2 full turns to be able to tell any change.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:04 PM »
HI dw06.  Thanks for your response.  I gather you like the Widefield and you seemed to be satisfied with them.   Best, lgm270

Offline MI VHNTR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »
I've got a Denver-made 3-9x42 Redfield Widefield, Low Profile, Illuminator with AccuTrac. My scope has also always focused in its proper position, so I haven't had any problems with it. The light gathering capabilities of this scope are still exceptional today. MI VHNTR
NRA Endowment Member
The Second Amendment isn't about hunting. It's about Freedom.

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:39:23 PM »
My 3x9 Widefield is 38 yrs old, took a deer with it last yr. IMO it's the best hunting scope ever made!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte