Author Topic: Having a Rough Week  (Read 799 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Having a Rough Week
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
My son let us know that he is moving to North Carolina with our grandkids which is 9 1/2 hours away.  The company I work for is laying off 10% of it's workforce tomorrow.  I'd appreciate your prayers.  I wasn't sure where to post this.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Having a Rough Week
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
Sorry to hear the news. I hope you are not one of the ones layed off. I myself have had a rough past few months. The repo man came and picked up my on Tuesday. There went $20,000 I payed into it. My toughts and prayes are with your family. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
I made it through the layoff ok, as did my boss and my assistant.  The one kid that worked with us was transferred to another department which was also excellent IMO.

Thanks for your prayers.  I'm still really bummed about losing my family, but I'll get by some how.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
Swampman,

What part of NC is your boy moving to?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
Glad to hear you still have a job. That means alot these days. Is you son moving for work
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
Swampman,

What part of NC is your boy moving to?

Hickory, I think....

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »
Glad to hear you still have a job. That means alot these days. Is you son moving for work

Yes, he found something that pays very well.  His landscaping business (in FL) was grossing $100,000.00 a month last year.  Now he can't gross $5000.00 a month.  That won't even pay the truck and equipment payments.  He had to move.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:19:19 AM »
It is tough to have your children move away from the area you live in.  They have to do what is best for themselves and their family and I do not begrudge the fact.  Both our children live a long way from my wife and I.  We both miss the grandkids and our children but knowing they are making the best decision for them is some salve for the sore.  I'm glad to hear you made it through the layoff.  I'd have liked to work longer before retiring myself, but my health didn't permit it, so took early retirement at reduced benefits.  Hope you get to work as long as you want and when you retire have enough to live well.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
I'm guessing I'll have to work as long as I am able to work.  We have no retirement.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
Glad to hear you made it through the layoffs OK. My company recently laid off 5% of its workforce
so I sweated a little bit. Luckily it's non-union so they laid off the non-productive workers instead of going by seniority
or else I would have been gone.

That's too bad about your son moving away. 5 years ago I moved to New Hampshire 2 hours away from my mother
who lives in Mass. I felt bad but I just couldn't stomach living in Massachusetts anymore. I've been trying to talk her
into moving closer to me but she won't leave Mass. I'm still within driving distance so I visit her as much as I can.

My wife is going through the same thing as you right now. Her mother is moving to Texas with her new husband
so she'll realistically only be able to see her once or twice a year. Staying in phone contact will be the key for you,
your son and your grandkids.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »
maybe this will cheer you up...

http://glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=baddayoffice

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »
understand how those people feel completely. Maybe I should just throw something and be over it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
understand how those people feel completely. Maybe I should just throw something and be over it. Dale

Dale, I can sympathize with you on many ways.  When I was captain on my seine boat commercial fishing salmon, when you set the net, it takes about an hour to retreive.  If the net gets tangled due inattention by the crew, you lost an hours fishing time in a limited time season.  That may have been the set that made your whole days money.  I'd get so angry that if I had a coffee cup in my hands, it immediately hit the deck.  Not smart, not effective, but it made me feel better till the next time.  My wife used to buy a case of coffee cups a year for the boat.  Never went through a whole case but close to it.  When you cannot control what's happening around you, you cannot blame yourself.  By being man enough to take care of our elderly relatives, is respect enough for me.  It should be enough for you.  Life sends a serious of problems, those that don't kill you makes you stronger.  My hats off.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »
It seems everyone is going through tough times in one form or another.  We are losing everything to the China and India.   Regions bank let 4500 employees go so that a few board members could gain multimillion dollar bonuses.  My wife was one of them.  She was fortunate though, she worked for the extras. I covered everything else.  Most of these people worked to support their families.  What made it so bad was the fact Regions cut the employees medical benefits before the severance time that they promised lapsed.  Many found out they didn't have medical insurance although they were promised 6-12 months.  Most of them got coverage but not until they spent several days on the phone going through the red tape.  I hope things turn better for you Dale!  I keep all of you in my prayers.