Author Topic: Ruger Hawkeye goes south...  (Read 3653 times)

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger Hawkeye goes south...
« on: March 01, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »
Pawed that is.  I just read an add in Shooting Ills. that stated it is now offered in:

25-06

30-06

300 win mag

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Ruger Hawkeye goes south...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
I handled one of the right hand Hawkeyes and I really liked it.  The only problem with the left hand versions is the same problem that most other gunmakers have, they don't offer any variety in there left hand line.  They already have the action, they already have barrels in various calibers why not offer something different,  I would buy a left hand stainless Hawkeye in 35 Whelen in a heartbeat.  None of the available calibers are any different than what I already have.  Manufacturers say left hand rifles don't sell well and that is true but a lot of that is due to availablity and variety.  They offer the 270,3006 and 300 Win mag, well those cartiridge pretty much fill the same niche give or take a little, the 25-06 does fill a different niche on the ligher side.  How about a 338-06, a 257 Roberts or 250 Savage, a short action in 358 or 350 Rem Mag.  I know they probably wouldn't set the world on fire in sales but I was just thinking out loud

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head.  Why does someone need 3 left hand 270's or 30-06's.  A couple a years ago I was after a stainless stalker abolt.  Except I wanted 300WSM at the time.  I called Browning and talked to the sales and asked if it would ever be available.  They took the angle that I was another gun maker or something and wouldn't say anything except probably not. :(

Oh well, I think more of us are out there than there sales markets think.  I think a poll is in order.  Most clubs I visit the ratios are closer to 40 percent.  Sometimes we are in the majority.  Go figure.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »
The thing I don't get, is why they think all lefties just want the large calibers. I'm not a big hunter and not one for the larger recoil. I would love you have one in like a 223 or a 22-250, 243 and the like.

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
+1 on the lighter rifle. I'd like to have a short-action, synthetic-stock stainless 7.62x39.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:55:50 AM »
+1 on the lighter rifle. I'd like to have a short-action, synthetic-stock stainless 7.62x39.

Browning offers the Hunter or Micro Hunters in 22 Hornet, 7mm-08.......and I've got a Savage 11FL in 7mm-08.   There are some other choices out there.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
KodiakEMT -- there's a Remmy 700C LH in .223, sitting all lonely on the rack at the local Gander here in La Crosse, WI. Mighty purdy rifle, if you want a light varminter. Been there for at least a year!! I keep thinking I'd just like to have the action, open the bolt face a little, and barrel it to 7.62x39, as toysoldier mentioned. A light synthetic stock, low-power scope, some handloads with good 150-grain bullets (use a .308" bore barrel, and the corresponding sizing ball in your sizing die). That setup would make a fabulous light deer rifle!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »
The thing I don't get, is why they think all lefties just want the large calibers. I'm not a big hunter and not one for the larger recoil. I would love you have one in like a 223 or a 22-250, 243 and the like.

In heavier calibers, some right handed shooters like a left handed action, so the don't have to pull the rifle off of their shoulder to accomodate the long bolt throw. I've been contemplating a LH .458 Lott for that reason. (Or I'm trying to justify buying a .458 Lott I can get really cheap!)
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline Lefty Hunter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
While I would also like some more variation (like a left hand remington model 7 and a left hand version of the kimber rifles) from what you all are saying there might be a few lefties out there you don't know about.  Let me list a few

Ruger Hawkeye is also available in- (long action)375 ruger, 25-06,
                                               (short action) 204 ruger, 223, 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 308

Remington offers a left hand youth rifle (along with many other left hand guns) in 243 and 7mm-08 which might make for a very good stand hunting gun in cold weather.

Savage offers a short action and long action and they include the WSM cartridges.

Tikka T3 really only has a long action but they house short action calibers in it as well.  I would recommend you look at there web sight because they offer something like 18 different chamberings in a couple different rifle configurations.  They do offer a few unique rounds like 6.5x55, 9.3x62, 338 federal and 260 remington.  As far as I know these aren't available to lefties anywhere else. 

Hope this helps

Offline Wrongside

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:59:17 AM »
If you look around this is also available from Ruger:

;D
CSSA
CPC
PCofAB

Offline tgun6542

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:58:13 AM »
I got one of the new LH hawkeyes this year in 7mm08, blued with wood stock, I love it. The only problem I have with it is the action is not as smooth as past Rugers I have owned. But a quick trip to my smithy will cure that after deer season. The new trigger is good also. Smooth and crisp for a factory trigger. I wish it was offered in a stainless with synth. stock though. But I guess we lefties have to take what we get or go custom.
a good ole redneck is hard to find

Offline Snowwolfe

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
If you look around this is also available from Ruger:

;D

Not anymore. Ruger discontinued all stainless left handed rifles a couple of months ago.

Offline pneuby

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 03:01:26 PM »
I'm hoping that Ruger will eventually see fit to make a LH version of their M77 stainless compact laminate. I have zero use for such a rifle, but would snap it up in .223!  ;D

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
I'm hoping that Ruger will eventually see fit to make a LH version of their M77 stainless compact laminate. I have zero use for such a rifle, but would snap it up in .223!  ;D
Me too !