Author Topic: CCW Class  (Read 521 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
CCW Class
« on: July 09, 2003, 12:04:34 AM »
My wife would like to take a CCW class, so I've been checking into them. There is a gun show here, usually once a month, and they have classes at the show. After the instructional part, everyone meets at a local range, and they are required to shoot as part of the course. My daughter and I happened to be at that range last weekend when the group from the gun show arrived to do the "range work". They were brought into the range three at a time, walked to the firing line one at a time, and shot one round from a revolver at a lifesize target that was about two feet in front of them. The muzzle blast was moving the paper. The instructor, who was standing behind them wearing a bullet proof vest, then had them hold their hands up in the air, and step back to the wall so the next person could come up. I don't know how the company that is doing the classes is getting away with that, but I don't think thats what the State of Florida had in mind when they wanted proof of "proficiency" with a handgun. There are a lot of people being turned loose with CCW permits that may not have ever fired the gun they will be carrying. Probably most people who are reading these forums practice regularly with their carry gun, or even shoot IDPA matches, etc., with them, but I would guess that percentage wise most people don't. There was an older man, and a couple women there who were obviously scared to death of shooting that one round, and I hope I'm not anywhere close if they ever decide to pull a concealed weapon and fire it. All we need is for someone with a CCW to kill an innocent person, because of a lack of proper training, and we will be barraged with all kinds of legislation trying to do away with our right to carry concealed.

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
CCW Class
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 01:04:17 AM »
As a contrast, here in VA I had to hit the target at 25 ft. with my master hand, and at 15 ft. with my off hand, each one handed.  This after I proved I could hit the bull at 25 ft, two handed.  Went through three mags firing for the class.  I don't think this was part of the state requirement, just the professionalism of the military (Seal) gentleman who was teaching the course.  He had a high standard and trained us to it.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline lostone1413

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CCW Class
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 04:34:53 AM »
Here in Arizona had to shoot at 30 feet and 80% be in the target. that was 20 shots 15 had to hit a 7x10 inch area