Author Topic: Do you see a cannon inside...  (Read 912 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Do you see a cannon inside...
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
One of the houses we are looking at to buy in Montana has a piano in the basement...the story goes the piano was put in the basement then the house was built.  This is an old upright piano.  The wood appears to be solid hardwood and not laminate, so it will make good carriage wood.  But what kind of cannon can I make out of rest of it?

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Do you see a cannon inside...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
There was a lot of experimentation done with wire-wound cannon barrels in the 1880's-1890's.  Some of the higher-pitch solid piano wires would be suitable for that, but I don't think you could make a very large one.  The wire has to be wrapped on by special machinery too.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
DD,

If you are using a piano for a carriage it must "B" in "Scale".... You "C" ??  :D  :D  :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline JeffG

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »
You might check into a music store that might give you "cannon money"to have access, to remove and restore the piano... 8)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
You might check into a music store that might give you "cannon money"to have access, to remove and restore the piano... 8)

Unless it's really special I doubt they would give much for it,
 most stores that deal in Pianos want to sell you a piano they will take trade in's .
There really isn't that much heavy wood in a piano  the weight of a piano is in the cast iron frame that the strings are strung on.
there may be wood usable for some small and nano cannons but I think that's about it.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
The 'Chicago Piano' comes to mind, but that's not suitable for this board.  (1921 Thompson with 100 round drum.)

88 keys brings to mind an awesome German ground/anti-aircraft cannon of fearsome repute, but again off-topic for here.

That leaves improvisation - using the materials at hand to build something that shoots but may not necessarily be the 'conventional' design.  Perhaps use the wood to build a pseudo-cannon that LOOKs like a cannon from a distance - Quaker Cannon is the term?

Those are my three ideas right off the top! 

Your turn.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
The ends of the case are solid wood and some where around 3/8 to 1/2 in thick, as was the top. It looks like those old heavy duty tall upright pianos we had back in grade schools in the 50's.  Has a big heavy lid that opens on the top. Stands about 4 1/2 feet tall.  Those end will make good cheeks for a Naval gun carriage.  The frame for the sound board looked like it could yield some wood also.  Are the beams on the back of these things solid?

Don't remember what the frame was made from, Been two years since I saw it.  A friend says they were made from cast iron and cast bronze. but I think bronze is only plating.

I could always make garrots out of the piano wire and sell them on Ebay to the ninjas. Cast iron to the scrap yard for trade. 

It is a US built piano.  I remember at the time checking it on the Internet and finding tons for sale.   I probably will try the for sale, cheep you move you haul route first before it becomes cannons

DD,

If you are using a piano for a carriage it must "B" in "Scale".... You "C" ??  :D  :D  :D

Pathetic, just pathetic ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
AHHH HAH !!

You COULD learn to play it and play the 1812 overture on it accompanied with real cannons!

THEY wouldn't dare laugh when you sat down to play the piano - knowing you'd be ARMED with cannons!

There must be HUNDREDS of cannon related tunes!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 08:03:49 AM »
OR! You could build a furnace melt down the cast iron frame and cast you cannon from the piano! think of the possibilities!

I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't mind a small industrial project in the back yard..........  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »

DD,

Pathetic, just pathetic ;D ;D ;D ;D

DD,

Sorry, I didn't mean to strike a "Key"......;D ;D ;D ;D Ok, I'm done.....  :D I'm Intoodeep......
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »
 Going through some of my civil war books, came across this picture of the Wire Gun, don't say if it was Piano wire..............Anyway, double click the pic and read the print and see what's left of the gun.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to strike a "Key"......;D ;D ;D ;D Ok, I'm done.....  :D I'm Intoodeep......

Groan....