Author Topic: 243 Range report  (Read 423 times)

Offline bja105

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 Range report
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »
I bought a 243 barrel from 243handi a couple months ago, for my wife's youth frame.  (I bought the rifle as a 243, had lockup issues, sold the barrel, got a 44 mag barrel that shoots well enough.)  The barrel was used, a little dinged, and the price was right.  Lockup was a bit tight on this barrel.  I made it fit, and loaded up some test loads with IMR 4064 and Hornady 87 soft points.

Similar to the old barrel, it does not stay closed with loads over mid range.  Primers flatten at medium loads, too.  I like the headspace, though.  With no case, I set the die to touch the shell holder, headspace is perfect.
The first batch shot well at 31 and 32 grains of IMR 4064.  I made up 20 with 31.5 grains and let her rip.

After sighting in, the first group was a 3" vertical line,  each shot hitting lower than the previous.  I let it cool, then shot a 4 shot group very slowly.  I shot one shot with the Handi, then a 4 shot group with a 7mm Mag Savage I just re barreled.  The Handi group was 0.91" center to center at 100 yards.  This should be more than adequate for our hunting of deer and the occasional groundhog.  If it stays consistent, I'll be pleased.

I have still not scrubbed the bore on this barrel.  I'll try it very clean, but I don't think it will make a difference.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 243 Range report
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
A clean bore can make quite a difference and since you are getting pressure signs it would be a good idea to clean and JB your bore.

Mc