Author Topic: What's the smallest size buck you will harvest?  (Read 5204 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: What's the smallest size buck you will harvest?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
I have a limited amount of time that I can actually hunt. In the past I have gone for entire seasons without even getting a shot so if I see it I'm shooting.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline trophyhunter

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
well I got a good place to hunt I try to shoot mature bucks if i can.  Points are not always an issue I passed on a 12 pointer with double drop tines last year but he was a young buck.  I had severel trail cam pictures of him which helped in judgment.  But I also shot a nice one scoring 173 a few years back.  This year I got a 150 class thats mature I hope to take.  We have unlimited doe tags in Ky zone 1 counties so meat is not a problem.  lets us hold out for the bigger bucks.

Offline gary bartlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilbucksndux
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2008, 05:31:43 AM »
I am a big suporter of antler restrictions here in Illinois.Our buck to doe ratio is off BAD.I would love to see a legal buck have 4 points on one side with the execption of youth hunters(under 16).I will only shoot mature deer width of rack past his ears,and main beam to the end of his nose,and at least 130". With all of the does here I see no reason to shoot a small buck,but there are the guys out there that "get their buck every year" even if it's a spike.So yes there are years that I don't kill a buck but do kill several does.

But last year I comitted a sin.

With a new baby in the house so bow hunting was limited,we where moving into a new house,and duck season on the way,I shot a small 7 pointer on the last day of the first gun season.I did kill a doe too and would have shot another but shooting light was fading fast.I made a decision and I regret it.
God created man,Sam Colt made them equal.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:59 AM »
I will take any legal buck... Here in mississippi its a 4pt or greater 10" spread 13" main beam....

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
Does have to be managed, and I know this goes against some hunters grains.... but I am getting 5 doe tags for our area.  The buck I am wanting?  I would like it bigger and older than the 5 yr old 160" rack I got hanging on my wall that I am looking to match a cape with.  Some are not afforded the ability to be able to wait for that once in a lifetime buck or the one that is better than the last best one you got.  It don't matter to me what others shoot.

But the areas that I shoot my bucks in is all private, the management of those bucks have to be done as well and so we are trying to let the much younger bucks pass.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »
Usually stick to the 8 pt or larger rule during bow and ml season, but also needs to be a more mature deer. Shotgunners around here will kill enough small 6 and 8's; someone needs to offset that. I typically kill 3-4 baldies a year as IADNR is getting pressure from insurance co's and farm groups to get population control. Interesting thing is I don't see spikes around here any more, it's either buttons or small 6's, I guess that's an improvement in genetics? or herd health?
I'm one that feels you should shoot what feels right to you at the particular time, no need to create division amongst ourselves. Everyone has their own version of an enjoyable, successful hunt.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 06:40:55 AM »
it seems that where people hunt makes a difference
here the deer are like a nussince so we shoot everything that is legal and still have a problem with them . in places that have less deer people seem to hold out for bigger deer .
then the pot hunter just wants meat and takes what he can while the trophy hunter holds out for the well trophy !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »
My limitations are simple. If this is underneath the hide:
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:27 AM »
nice , come to think never saw one to small for the pan
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2008, 05:24:42 AM »
Depends on whether the freezer is full.
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.